Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
You realize you just created a giant strawman out of nowhere?

also, what year are you in?

Ovechkin has one less goal in the playoffs in 37 less games. I think it’s safe to say he has been a better goal scorer in the playoffs, especially if you count the fact that he has only made it past the second round once.

Ovechkin has always been the better scorer, nobody ever denied that. But let's not act like his playoff resume is on par with Crosby's.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I’ll pick 2 (amongst many others) who id love to see your argument of why you have them ahead of Crosby. Selanne and Sakic, let’s hear your case.

Maybe you should learn to read?

"Currently I would rate best all time players (not just NHL, best no matter what league) in tiers like this:

Gretzky
--------------
Howe
Orr
Lemieux
--------------
Hasek
Ovechkin
Bourque
--------------
Richard
Yzerman
Sakic
Roy
Bobby Hull
Dionne
Esposito
--------------
Brett Hull
Selanne
Mikita
Jagr
Messier
Coffey
Lafleur
Brodeur
Chelios
etc "

"In tiers". Selanne was in the same tier. Sakic has a near comparable peak, with his MVP's, cups, golds etc, but a longer career. Crosby might of course climb the rankings by playing more.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
The gap between Coffey and Potvin offensively is nowhere near as big as the gap between them defensively.

Funny how you forget to mention the gap in points, points per game, games played that Coffey has on him?

They both have 4 cups & 3 Norrises. Coffey has 3 Canada Cups to go with it.

Coffey played longer, and had higher point shares even in individual seasons. Way more points & games. Did it with multiple teams, even some bad non-playoff teams.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Um...he is already top ten.

In no particular order:

Gretzky
Mario
Orr
Howe
Crosby
Richard
Harvey
Ovi
Bobby Hull
Hasek

Just on the outside looking in:

Jagr
Yzerman
Sakic
Messier
Brett Hull

This is ofC subjective, but Bobby Hull there? Jagt outside top 10?? Really?? I thik Europeans and North Americans are biased of where they live, but that is too much.

In my Particular order.. lol. A pay a lot of the order in a sort of" talent level x execution of the talent level", so it fits any era and time
Gretzky
Lemeiux
Orr
Howe
Jagr
Hasek
Crosby
Ovechkin
McDavid
Richard

Looking in
Larionov
Yzerman
Sakic
Selänne
Forsberg
Harvey
Bobby Hull
Pavel Datsyuk

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I always find it amusing when people compare resumes by what they collected and their trophy hardware. Some extremely amazing players could have had more trophies had they not been playing in the same era as Wayne and Mario. Guys like Ovie would not have won what they did had he been playing in that era. So dont compare him in a way that doesnt make sense when discussing players from the past. Has Ovie been dominating other players of his era in points year by year? Yeah he scores lots of goals, he is perhaps one of the best ever in that category no doubt, but the true greats are getting you 40 goals a year with at least 60 assists.

I'm sorry but when you've got like 17 assists so far right now, and you accumulate about 30 to 35 in a season, it doesnt strike me as a complete offensive player.

Jagr was a beast because not only could he do it all himself, but he made his linemates like Hridna and Straka dangerous. Jags was collecting 123 points at the age of like 35.

Gotta be more than one dimensional.
You're right, he would have won more hardware in that era that era of defensive pylons and atrocious goalies. A 6'3 235lbs skating dynamo with the physicality to back it up wouldn't have any problem shooting 70-90 per year against goalies that routinely tripped over their own skates while moving 10 feet outside of their crease.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
This just in, Jim! A goal scoring winger has more goals than a playmaking center! More news at 10.
This just in, a playmaking C playing with another generational talent has a lot more secondary assists! More news at 10.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Ovechkin has always been the better scorer, nobody ever denied that. But let's not act like his playoff resume is on par with Crosby's.

Let’s not forget that Crosby plays with another generational player. Pens fans like to deflate Malkin in order to pump up Crosby. Lol.

Plus, you may want to look at Crosby and Ovechkin’s stats, head to head. Not to mention, stats in Game 7s and elimination games.

You’ll find that Ovechkin acquits himself quite well. :)

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Let’s not forget that Crosby plays with another generational player. Pens fans like to deflate Malkin in order to pump up Crosby. Lol.

Plus, you may want to look at Crosby and Ovechkin’s stats, head to head. Not to mention, stats in Game 7s and elimination games.

You’ll find that Ovechkin acquits himself quite well. :)
They've played 2 game 7 against each other. What do the stats look like in those 2 games?

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
They've played 2 game 7 against each other. What do the stats look like in those 2 games?

Look at all the other games. Crosby tends to wilt in elimination games. Ovechkin, holds his own.

Crosby doesn't play on malkin's line.

They play together when they need a goal and they certainly play together on the PP. When one isn’t going, the other picks up the slack. Must be nice to have a crutch. ;)

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Dude I know this, but denying having another generational talent on your team doesn't relieve pressure is crazy talk. Also they have played on the same PP for well over a decade and in big games have played on the same line before.

Thanks though, doesn't make your post anymore asinine.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Look at all the other games. Crosby tends to wilt in elimination games. Ovechkin, holds his own.

They play together when they need a goal and they certainly play together on the PP. When one isn’t going, the other picks up the slack. Must be nice to have a crutch. ;)
Ya poor Ovechkin...he's stuck with a Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlson on his team. They are all 4th line scrubs

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Ya poor Ovechkin...he's stuck with a Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlson on his team. They are all 4th line scrubs

Ovechkin, has some good players on his team. Don’t be hyperbolic.

Malkin is a generational player, though. Just look at the Pens record without Crosby. Well, what do you know? They play significantly better. I wonder why that is?

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
This just in, Jim! A goal scoring winger has more goals than a playmaking center! More news at 10.

This just in! A play making center has more points than a goal scor...false alarm, back to you Gregg.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Which again is a strawman, because that’s something no one argued or tried to suggest. Your need to defend Crosby has you irrationally coming at posters over things they didn’t argue. I never said he had a better playoff resume so maybe calm down and try again

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Crosby has zero cups without Malkin, and the Pens are still a playoff team with Malkin instead of Crosby. Before using the line mates argument, don’t just ignore that Crosby has another generational talent and one of the best playoff performers on his own team. Even Kessel we a huge boost for the Pens in 2016 and 2017, he did lead their team in goals and points in Crosby’s smythe winning year.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Maybe you should learn to read?

"Currently I would rate best all time players (not just NHL, best no matter what league) in tiers like this:

Gretzky
--------------
Howe
Orr
Lemieux
--------------
Hasek
Ovechkin
Bourque
--------------
Richard
Yzerman
Sakic
Roy
Bobby Hull
Dionne
Esposito
--------------
Brett Hull
Selanne
Mikita
Jagr
Messier
Coffey
Lafleur
Brodeur
Chelios
etc "

"In tiers". Selanne was in the same tier. Sakic has a near comparable peak, with his MVP's, cups, golds etc, but a longer career. Crosby might of course climb the rankings by playing more.
Is every other player who ever played in the league in the etc then?

So you have Selanne and Chelios on par with Crosby and Sakic clearly ahead of him. Based on that I wouldn’t value many of your hockey opinions.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Is every other player who ever played in the league in the etc then?

So you have Selanne and Chelios on par with Crosby and Sakic clearly ahead of him. Based on that I wouldn’t value many of your hockey opinions.
A better question is how the hell has Ovechkin not passed Selanne? That was something you stated, maybe back your claims before coming at others with theirs. And yet your hockey opinion is so valid :laugh:

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Whoever feels the need to use line mates for Ovechkin and yet at the same time is going to ignore who Crosby has on his own team and shares the PP with, really?

All great players have benefited from great line mates/teammates. Crosby and Ovechkin have both shown they can produce with anyone, and can reach great heights with anyone. Let’s not keep bringing this up as if it isn’t bias against Ovechkin and being used against him as well. It’s ridiculous.

Last edited:

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
You're right, he would have won more hardware in that era that era of defensive pylons and atrocious goalies. A 6'3 235lbs skating dynamo with the physicality to back it up wouldn't have any problem shooting 70-90 per year against goalies that routinely tripped over their own skates while moving 10 feet outside of their crease.

yes yes...there were no physical specimens back then either....give Hull a stick like Ovie...give them the equipment they sue today and blah blah blah......Jagr at 44 had 5 less points than Peak Ovechkin. Sorry bud.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad