HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
In the early season, you are by definition working with a small sample. And with almost 700 players in the league, some of those small samples will have had a run and these players go to the top of the scoring chart. KK is one of these players.

Based on his scoring rate from January 1st of this year, I would put my prediction at somewhere in the high 50 points. Call it 58.

Reactions: Toene

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I wouldn't call it a "tanking meta" when the best you can do is secure a 1 in 4 chance of winning.

Tanking happens in all 4 of the major North American team sports despite a 1 in 7 chance in the NBA and a 1 in 6 chance in the MLB of securing the top pick.

I would prefer an NBA/MLB style lottery where the bottom 3 teams have equal odds and perhaps this is what you are referring to but maybe with a little less hyperbolic language.
The lottery does nothing to prevent tanking. The NHL lottery exists to make money on advertising from the lottery program and potentially to fix the draft.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
The lottery does nothing to prevent tanking. The NHL lottery exists to make money on advertising from the lottery program and potentially to fix the draft.
The draft does help against the potential rewards of tanking and the draft isn't fixed.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I can't believe how bad the Sharks really are. We all knew they'd be bad and they were the easy favourites for 32nd place but I can't say I expected them to be historically bad and worse than -40 goal diffential by the first Sunday in November.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Who would y’all take on the Habs right now if you could between Kotkaniemi and Danault?

In a vacuum of course, disregard current team composition for a second.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The draft does help against the potential rewards of tanking and the draft isn't fixed.
The lottery does nothing to stop tanking. Chicago and others last year. SJ is the definitive example this year. And there is NO way to know if the draw is completely legit. It is unlikely but nothing is 100%.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The lottery does nothing to stop tanking. Chicago and others last year. SJ is the definitive example this year. And there is NO way to know if the draw is completely legit. It is unlikely but nothing is 100%.

The default assumption is that the draft is not rigged.

Btw, if the draft were rigged that would actually end tanking.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
I can't believe how bad the Sharks really are. We all knew they'd be bad and they were the easy favourites for 32nd place but I can't say I expected them to be historically bad and worse than -40 goal diffential by the first Sunday in November.
Poor Hertl. He's the only player with more than a 0.5 ppg (7 pts in 11 games).

For anyone interested, Hoffman has 1 assist in 11 games and his - 7.
Zadina has 2 goals in 11 games and - 14.

It's impressive how none of the player we lost is performing even to the low standard they were producing last year. Drouin has 1 point in 9 games ; Pitlick and Gurianov are in the AHL. Tierney has no points in 4 games.

Dadonov has 4 points in 10 games, and he's the highest producer from the ex-habs of 2022-23.

Desmith is playing well in Vancouver (.916 %) and Petry is doing okay in Det (3 points in 7 games). With how Pearson is playing and the additional third round pick, value seems to be in favor of the Habs in the Desmith trade though.

Edmundson still has not play a game in Washington.

Reactions: dgeezus and Redux91

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
You need to read more slowly....I said it helps against the rewards of tanking, not tanking itself. The draw is legit, only the mightiest of tinfoil hat wearers believe it's fixed.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Is that really a question
It is because vs 3-4 years ago I was getting in heated debates about how the Habs were using Danault and Kotkaniemi.

I was arguing we were wasting our time and pricing a player out of a contract we could give him (Danault) and alienating another (Kotkaniemi).

It was clear as day back then that at 21, Kotkaniemi would be the ascending player by the time he was 23-24.

They ended up losing both players…I’m gonna have to check on my patna @Belial for that one.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You need to read more slowly....I said it helps against the rewards of tanking, not tanking itself. The draw is legit, only the mightiest of tinfoil hat wearers believe it's fixed.
Only idiots and 3 year olds believe that anything the NHL does is for any reason other than increasing profits and franchise value. It is unlikely but if it could be done with only a couple of people knowing about it I wouldn't put it past them to try. If it was discovered what would be the repercussions? Very little.
Astros cheated when it should have been obvious they would be caught sooner than later.

So how does that incentivize tanking?

Your position is hard to follow.
The point is that getting the best players to the big market teams makes all owners richer.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It is because vs 3-4 years ago I was getting in heated debates about how the Habs were using Danault and Kotkaniemi.

I was arguing we were wasting our time and pricing a player out of a contract we could give him (Danault) and alienating another (Kotkaniemi).

It was clear as day back then that at 21, Kotkaniemi would be the ascending player by the time he was 23-24.

They ended up losing both players…I’m gonna have to check on my patna @Belial for that one.
Then we both agree lol. Sadly youll only get answers from people who were on your side of the debate because the rest have a djol kaka thing going on.

• Haha
Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Then we both agree lol. Sadly youll only get answers from people who were on your side of the debate because the rest have a djol kaka thing going on.
Hold up…did you just write djol kaka?!?!?!

I’m crying :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad