HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The Great 8 is on his last legs. Will he tie/surpass Gretzky? It's doable but he needs two 37 goals seasons, or three 25 goals seasons. Which is more realistic?
I been saying I don’t think he gets there. Father Time can change things abruptly. It’s within striking distance, but it’s still a tough task
Imo.

Reactions: Rapala and Tyson

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
Don’t look now, but KK with 7 points in 6 games. Looks like he may have his breakout year.

Glad MB let him go and replaced him with Dvorak. Leaving him open for an offer sheet was another one of MB’s genius moves.
This and the Sergachev trade. Two brilliant moves by MB that set us years behind. This team would be significantly better today with those two. I can’t believe this guy still has a job in the NHL.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
They rushed him to the NHL and it set him back big time, but he's catching up. Possibly due to being rushed, I doubt he'll ever be the 1C we've always wanted but I like hearing of Kotkaniemi's success.
MB/Timmins said right after they drafting him that ~23 years old was when he would pan out. KK is right on the timeframe set on draft day.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
If they really believed that they wouldn't have let him go for peanuts or misplayed him all along the way.

They rushed him and mishandled him.
They mishandled him because MB was a terrible GM, not because they didn't believe that when they drafted him.

Reactions: Miller Time

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Didn’t we lose KK and Danault in the same Summer? What a way to destroy the centre depth chart lol
Funny thing is many wanted Danault gone. Gallagher was carrying him and Poehling could replace him easily. Haha, I remember thinking I was living in an alternate universe back then. Not much has changed.

Reactions: Rapala and dgeezus

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
MB/Timmins said right after they drafting him that ~23 years old was when he would pan out. KK is right on the timeframe set on draft day.

Yup.
Funny how so many were so sure that "Bambi" was a bad pick and would never amount to much...

Even funnier that some of the same posters are just as sure about their Slafkovsky hot takes. Thankfully, Hughes & co. don't appear to be as short-sighted as MB or the "I want it now" fans

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
They rushed him to the NHL and it set him back big time, but he's catching up. Possibly due to being rushed, I doubt he'll ever be the 1C we've always wanted but I like hearing of Kotkaniemi's success.

JK was a project. Let's just say you send him in Europe for two more years and then give him 1 years in the AHL and then he graduates in the NHL at 21. Unless you believe he would have been good day 1 in the NHL at 21 with no experience whatsoever then he would be exactly where he is right now at 23 after two years in the NHL. Lack of patience was the problem not rushing him.

Be patient with Slaf. Whatever he was the right choice or not we can't change that now. But we can be patient and wait for him to be 23 before declaring him a bust. I was one of the strongest advocate against drafting JK and weirdly i was one of the strongest advocate for matching the offer. People are not patient enough.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yup.
Funny how so many were so sure that "Bambi" was a bad pick and would never amount to much...

Even funnier that some of the same posters are just as sure about their Slafkovsky hot takes. Thankfully, Hughes & co. don't appear to be as short-sighted as MB or the "I want it now" fans
I don’t remember a lot of people hating on Kohtkaniemi. I think the turn with him happened when he signed an offer sheet for 3x what he was worth at the time. There was some salt with people over that and the fighting between the two fanbases over what happened had people just hoping for his downfall. I don’t think the majority of our fanbase had given up on him at all and would’ve been happy to have him back. It was a weird set of circumstances where he was offered money that didn’t make any sense but with hindsight, maybe we do match what was offered.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don’t remember a lot of people hating on Kohtkaniemi. I think the turn with him happened when he signed an offer sheet for 3x what he was worth at the time. There was some salt with people over that and the fighting between the two fanbases over what happened had people just hoping for his downfall. I don’t think the majority of our fanbase had given up on him at all and would’ve been happy to have him back. It was a weird set of circumstances where he was offered money that didn’t make any sense but with hindsight, maybe we do match what was offered.

As someone who remained bullish on him, I can tell you that the vitriol started well before the offer sheet and only went nuclear from there lol

So many silly hot takes & terrible assessments were thrown around, it always was laughable even if he didn't manage to reach a firm top 6 level, let alone top line

This season is young, a long way to go before he's a bonafide ppg C... But he's also 23, and still has room to grow.

Might well go down as the worst of a very big list of blunders by MB

The crow is already plentiful & this is likely just the amuse-bouche :popcorn:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

JK was a project. Let's just say you send him in Europe for two more years and then give him 1 years in the AHL and then he graduates in the NHL at 21. Unless you believe he would have been good day 1 in the NHL at 21 with no experience whatsoever then he would be exactly where he is right now at 23 after two years in the NHL. Lack of patience was the problem not rushing him.
No experience whatsoever... you mean other than three pro-seasons with increasing responsibility against relatively good but not overwhelming opposition? I think he would've been better at age 21 if he went through two or three seasons outside the NHL post-draft. 100%.

Don't preach patience if you think every prospect, from Bambi to the Slovak Hulk, needs to start in the NHL as a teenager. That's ridiculous.
Be patient with Slaf. Whatever he was the right choice or not we can't change that now. But we can be patient and wait for him to be 23 before declaring him a bust. I was one of the strongest advocate against drafting JK and weirdly i was one of the strongest advocate for matching the offer. People are not patient enough.
I've never said he's a bust, you're barking up the wrong tree with that one. I dislike the pick because he's a project not because I dislike the concept of a massive, smooth skating, skilled, shoot-first winger. I'm not an imbecile, if Slafkovsky pans out it'll be amazing. The thing is with projects: they don't pan out like we want them to. I don't want the Habs to spend 1OAs on freakin' projects!

Reactions: LaP and DAChampion

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Very early but at this point the Habs are still in a strong division, Central off to a good start too:

GP
W
L
OTL
SOL
Pts
GF
GA
Atlantic​
39​
22​
14​
2​
1​
47​
136​
124​
Metro​
38​
19​
15​
3​
1​
42​
120​
127​
Central​
40​
22​
15​
1​
2​
47​
121​
114​
Pacific​
41​
16​
20​
1​
4​
37​
121​
133​

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

nodding-kermit.gif

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
They mishandled him because MB was a terrible GM, not because they didn't believe that when they drafted him.
Bergevin left himself exposed to a cap-crunch when he prioritised the likes of Hoffman and Armia to Kotkaniemi but, on the other hand, Kotkaniemi was fed up and frustrated with his lack of responsibility at the hands of Ducharme. If Bergevin didn't have an ego the size of the moon he would've swallowed and matched the offer-sheet and put KK as 2C behind Suzuki. Instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad