Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
So I was reading the Panthers/Sens thread on the main boards and noticed many taking random shots at the Habs out of nowhere. Living rent free in their heads.

7heo78.jpg

Reactions: McGees

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Look at these treacherous rats trying to create a movement to get rid of Crosby’s captaincy. Evgeni Malkin had to step in and put an end to this malarkey.

Most of them were dealt with almost immediately once Crosby got healthy again.

Disgusting. It's always the plugs too. That all stems from coaches giving too much improtance to grinders. So glad Malkin gave em a talking.

A day off now hockeys back baby!

View attachment 683752
Wtf am I looking at

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Good lord! Brian Boucher just said the Penguins are the last team the Bruins would want to play in the 1st round. I think the Bruins or any top seed team would chose to play the Penguins. They're old, inconsistent, lack depth and have shakey goaltending.

Yeah I think the penguins are a great matchup for boston.

The only question I have about Boston is that they have two inner core peices at an advanced age, especially Bergeron. How will they fare the upcoming marathon?

But that's not even a question when you look at the penguins inner core. Crosby and Malkin are old too, and they have the fraction of a supporting cast that Boston does.

The only way I see it not being done quickly is if ullmark suddenly craps the bed in the post season, and even then, I don't think it's enough for Boston to lose the series.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That's KK in a nutshell though. He goes long stretches of not contributing and stretches where he goes almost a ppg.

In his last year with us, he had one point in his first 19 games. He ended the season with 20 pts. Almost all of it in mid-season, as he slumped towards the end of that year too.

He's a lot like Eller. Eller would go 10-20 games without points, put up 25 in 30, and finish the season with 35 points.

Yup.

& like Eller, his floor is looking pretty firm to be a very good 3C that can play up to top 6C in a pinch and plays well in the post season.

Question remains wether or not he can find the consistency & confidence to hit his ceiling, which remains quite high & realistically attainable given his age.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Good lord! Brian Boucher just said the Penguins are the last team the Bruins would want to play in the 1st round. I think the Bruins or any top seed team would chose to play the Penguins. They're old, inconsistent, lack depth and have shakey goaltending.

I don't know...

Crosby & Malkin are still a nightmare matchup for any team in a playoff series.

Letang, Guetzel, Rust, Carter, Bonino & Petry all have significant playoff/Cup finals success in their resumes.

When it comes to 1 playoff round, those factors aren't insignificant

I'd much prefer facing any of Buffalo, NYI, Florida in the 1st round if I were in the Bruins shoes, I see Boucher's point.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Yeah I think the penguins are a great matchup for boston.

The only question I have about Boston is that they have two inner core peices at an advanced age, especially Bergeron. How will they fare the upcoming marathon?

But that's not even a question when you look at the penguins inner core. Crosby and Malkin are old too, and they have the fraction of a supporting cast that Boston does.

The only way I see it not being done quickly is if ullmark suddenly craps the bed in the post season, and even then, I don't think it's enough for Boston to lose the series.
The Bruins certainly have some old pieces up the middle who might wear down when it gets to playoff style every other night. As of now however, the Bruins are very well oiled while the Pens seem to be worn out.

The Islanders have the best goalie among the Isles, Pens, Panthers and play that heavy game that is effective in playoffs. They were a hair away from knocking off TB two years ago and playing our Habs in the Final.

Florida is the best team right now among those three teams especially if they can get quality goaltending. They're loaded with offense and their skilled forwards are big and strong.

I would definitely hand pick the Pens as my 1st round opponent if I was the top seed and could choose who I play.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Bruins certainly have some old pieces up the middle who might wear down when it gets to playoff style every other night. As of now however, the Bruins are very well oiled while the Pens seem to be worn out.

The Islanders have the best goalie among the Isles, Pens, Panthers and play that heavy game that is effective in playoffs. They were a hair away from knocking off TB two years ago and playing our Habs in the Final.

Florida is the best team right now among those three teams especially if they can get quality goaltending. They're loaded with offense and their skilled forwards are big and strong.

I would definitely hand pick the Pens as my 1st round opponent if I was the top seed and could choose who I play.

I agree. Florida would be the toughest out of the bunch. I guess the question there becomes whether Florida can get off to a good start and corner the Bruins since they have basically been in the playoff mode for several weeks, whereas Boston has had nothing to play for.

But if we just look at the two rosters, it's still unbelievably in favour of the Bruins.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I don't know...

Crosby & Malkin are still a nightmare matchup for any team in a playoff series.

Letang, Guetzel, Rust, Carter, Bonino & Petry all have significant playoff/Cup finals success in their resumes.

When it comes to 1 playoff round, those factors aren't insignificant

I'd much prefer facing any of Buffalo, NYI, Florida in the 1st round if I were in the Bruins shoes, I see Boucher's point.
The Pens haven't won a playoff round in 4 years with those guys and they're currently trying to limp into the playoffs. They're long in the tooth and their offense is way down this year. They lack depth. I'm not sure what the old stars will have left in the tank IF they make the playoffs.

Boston and Carolina just keep throwing four strong lines at you.

I agree. Florida would be the toughest out of the bunch. I guess the question there becomes whether Florida can get off to a good start and corner the Bruins since they have basically been in the playoff mode for several weeks, whereas Boston has had nothing to play for.

But if we just look at the two rosters, it's still unbelievably in favour of the Bruins.
Agreed 100%. The Bruins will be heavy favourites no matter who they play 1st round.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The Pens haven't won a playoff round in 4 years with those guys and they're currently trying to limp into the playoffs. They're long in the tooth and their offense is way down this year. They lack depth. I'm not sure what the old stars will have left in the tank IF they make the playoffs.

Boston and Carolina just keep throwing four strong lines at you.

Absolutely.

I certainly wouldn't bet on the Pens to beat the Bruins, or canes...

But that wasn't the point.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Absolutely.

I certainly wouldn't bet on the Pens to beat the Bruins, or canes...

But that wasn't the point.
I get that. I'm going by recent history of Pens in playoffs and how they currently look tired and weathered.

Boucher also mentioned that the Pens struggle against teams with speed, that they do better against more physical teams and that the Bruins shouldn't want to play them because of this. I think he's out to lunch on this one. The Pens can't keep the puck out of their net and they only have two lines.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I get that. I'm going by recent history of Pens in playoffs and how they currently look tired and weathered.

Boucher also mentioned that the Pens struggle against teams with speed, that they do better against more physical teams and that the Bruins shouldn't want to play them because of this. I think he's out to lunch on this one. The Pens can't keep the puck out of their net and they only have two lines.

No doubt... But fair to say that the isles, Sabres & Panthers have their own issues & limitations as well.

Panthers are playing the best of the bunch at this point I'm the season, but I'd still pick the pens ahead of them if I had to pick a first round upset... On the other hand, I'd probably bet on the Panthers to go deeper than the Pens if I was to pick a wild card team to go far in the playoffs...

The only having two lines issue is one that is a bigger detriment to regular season success, and to a deep playoff run, than it is to winning an opening round series.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The toughest out for the Bruins would probably be NYI or Tampa Bay. Recent history shows they are the two clubs who can tighten things up and compete with Ullmark.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
watching McDavid hit 150 just makes me so much more bitter about our tanking and draft decisions. I can't even comprehend the potential hype McDavid would've generated in Montreal.

Truly a generational talent and he's just turned 26 this year, he could reach even greater heights in the next few years.

respect-baby-tip-hat.gif
I wonder how Bedard's career will blossom and bloom...

It's rather likely everybody will lament this year as a 'missed opportunity' even though the draft lottery makes it impossible to actively tank for the #1 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad