Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Are people for Boudreau because of the way his firing happened? Or because they think he's actually a good coach? Frankly....he's not a good coach and is just past his time. Yeah, his firing was indeed a shitshow....but don't mistake the administrative issues with the hockey one....

Reactions: ReHabs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hopefully. They'll start winning then.

Get them a GM that isn't a complete idiot and look out.

Until then, Ottawa is just a trash team. Not a ridiculous amount of hype but expecting to be I'm meaningful games until the end.

Unless they turn it around, which would require a new coach, it's not going to happen. Even then with the shit goaltending and d that team has i don't think a new coach will be able to do much

Boudreau would be great for an initial bump, but I'm not sure I'd count on him to keep that momentum going beyond a season or so.

He's ideal for a team hovering around the playoff bubble right now with an owner looking to secure some playoff revenue immediately. He will get them in.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Are people for Boudreau because of the way his firing happened? Or because they think he's actually a good coach? Frankly....he's not a good coach and is just past his time. Yeah, his firing was indeed a shitshow....but don't mistake the administrative issues with the hockey one....

This isn't about boudreau.

It's about the fans reaching a tipping point with their ownership.

It's about treating a human being with common decency.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Boudreau would be great for an initial bump, but I'm not sure I'd count on him to keep that momentum going beyond a season or so.

He's ideal for a team hovering around the playoff bubble right now with an owner looking to secure some playoff revenue immediately. He will get them in.
Pretty much why I hope they hire him.

Get Ottawa close and further up, but not in the playoffs unless it's them or Florida, then I want them

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
Exactly.

Why didn’t he quit, though?
Gotta be about the dough....why let the Canucks off the hook? Suffer, but get paid.

BB would make the perfect Leaf coach, great regular season record, abysmal playoff record.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Canucks did Boudreau wrong.

But...

He's also not a good coach and all of this sympathy is just going to end up with him getting hired and fired somewhere else in 2-3 years

Reactions: Andy

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

It's reaching saying he's not a good coach. He's had a long career, did a lot of good things. But you use different coachs for different needs. I think he's someone you bring in when you have a good base but need some order and just just a few final touches. Canucks are a badly built team, almost close to a team that needs a rebuild. They probably should clear a few contracts, rebuild and a hire more a teacher-type. Same with the Flyers. Torto is more fit to coach a team that has good elements and just need the final boost to go for the cup. Hiring him for that Flyers lineup is like trying to pull blood from a stone, squeeze that dry fruit hard so that some juice left can come out while there is so little left. It's just horribly stupid moves. Again cause the Flyers should rebuild as well.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He quits, he forfeits the rest of his salary. They fire him, he gets paid until his contract ends (which is this July).
Yeah I get that, but he's made tens of millions throughout his career... doubt this is a difference maker. Unless he has major gambling/drinking problems.

To me, if you have any integrity, you say "I'm out!". Especially for 5 months of salary, it's not 3-4 years...

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yeah I get that, but he's made tens of millions throughout his career... doubt this is a difference maker. Unless he has major gambling/drinking problems.

To me, if you have any integrity, you say "I'm out!". Especially for 5 months of salary, it's not 3-4 years...

Actually, maybe it was because of integrity that he stayed. He has a job to do, even in a shitty environment. Maybe he just wanted to see this through, even though he knew the outcome was already determined.

Reactions: zeeto

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

It's more along the line of "Soldier on, get paid, don't make waves and secure your way to the NHL recycling bin."

Reactions: CDN24

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Pretty much why I hope they hire him.

Get Ottawa close and further up, but not in the playoffs unless it's them or Florida, then I want them

I don't think Ottawa makes any moves like that until the sale goes through. Furthermore, even if they were in a position to make a move, I don't think they would because they aren't even sniffing that bubble anyways, are they?

Reactions: dinodebino

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I'm not sure. It depends on how you look at it. If someone does a job to the best of their ability until their employer says no more, rather than quitting when things get unfair or hard.... You could argue thats the guy with integrity too.

Reactions: MasterD

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I would say he showed integrity. Because despite it all, he showed up to work. The ones who lack integrity is the Canucks management and ownership, not Boudreau.

Also, why should he give up the money owed to him?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Canucks did Boudreau wrong.

But...

He's also not a good coach and all of this sympathy is just going to end up with him getting hired and fired somewhere else in 2-3 years

20:20 to about 20:35 pretty much says it. Regardless of his ability, you got to treat people with respect.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I would say he showed integrity. Because despite it all, he showed up to work. The ones who lack integrity is the Canucks management and ownership, not Boudreau.

Also, why should he give up the money owed to him?
Agreed, there’s integrity in that too…

I’m not saying he should give up the money. I’m saying to me, with my values, if I was more than financially independent as he is, I would se more value in being respected than getting more money that I don’t need.

Actually I’m pretty broke, and I’d rather quit than go through what he did. There are other jobs everywhere…

He could find an assistant-coach job pretty fast, probably HC too in a few months.

But I get what you’re saying. Different sets of values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad