Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Agreed but is wearing/not wearing a jersey, really an act of support/opposition to a particular community?

Just an honest question to encourage debate, nothing else of course.
Clearly the Staals do think it's about supporting a community considering they had to justify their absence/refusal to wear on religious grounds/the beliefs of their faith towards that particular community. Do the Staals back out wearing a jersey supporting a community of physically challenged people on the grounds of their faith? I don't think so. So clearly their discomfort has to do with the ideas that their culture has towards that of a different one.

Their justification is subtly worded and leans heavily on the assumption that people of faith have good intentions, but the decision here is ultimately one of non-recognition of a community. Moreover, it asks the public to be respectful of their decision not to extend respect.

For me, it's okay to say that you do not recognize or respect x community, but you cannot then expect people to respect you in return. If you wish to exclude and disrespect, you should be willing to accept criticism back/consequences. That is literally the basis of all meaningful political action (good or bad acts).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And what radical approach would that be? This all reads good, but in practice, I don't see it having the effect you wish it does.
Being anti-racist, daily. Allowing roaches to proliferate in your walls is just as bad as having them on your counter-top.

And yes, I am referring to anyone that is a bigot or a racist as a roach.
I guess that's the root issue...needing to agree. We don't need to agree and not agreeing doesn't necessarily imply conflict.

Well, at least not for me :thumbu:

How does one go about not allowing bigots to be bigots?

Either way, I personally can't call someone a bigot who I don't know, so always careful tossing around words like that but to each his own.

I remember your picture of Kap. You used to be cool, I think.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I've disliked Eric Staal ever since he intentionally took out Andrei Markov's knee at the Worlds many years ago. He oozes of being an entitled asshole.

I remember the Staal brothers made the news one offseason for getting arrested during Eric's bachelor party at a resort in Minnesota for being drunk, loud and disorderly through the wee hours of the night and a nuisance to people staying at the resort.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things as many young people do this sort of stuff...especially millionaire entitled athletes with zero post-secondary education. I do find it a joke however that these self-proclaimed sainthood nominees use the bible as their shield for not wearing the jersey. They work on Sundays, Eric got caught bald face lying last night and I'd be willing to bet more than one of the Staal brothers have been involved in a large amount of sexual promiscuity throughout their careers and marriages. Eric wore a pride jersey in Montreal two years ago which means that this is something he has zero conviction about. I believe Reimer is at least sincere when he talks about his faith...as misguided as it is.

The Staal brothers are simply ignorant macho assholes blessed with far more athleticism than brainpower. Eric and Mark probably made the decision together the night before over a couple of beers saying that they "ain't wearing no Homophobic Slur jersey."

Good on Matthew Tkachuk for going out of his way to be inclusive of the LGBTQ community! He's the true blood and guts of that Panthers team.

I hope this causes a distraction and the Panthers continue their losing streak.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Clearly the Staals do think it's about supporting a community considering they had to justify their absence on religious grounds on the beliefs of their faith.

It's subtly worded and leans heavily on the assumption that people of faith have good intentions, but the decision here is ultimately one of non-recognition of a community.
Oh agreed there, like I wrote earlier...hiding behind selective and interpreted scriptures of the bible is unfortunately, very vogue right now.

But what I was trying to say was that this kind of performative activism, isn't necessarily support for a particular affected community.

I can't be 100% sure of this, but I'm fairly certain there are players who wore pride jerseys yet are deeply homophobic.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but i've never thought this type of activism is advancing inclusion...I feel like it does the opposite.

You realize whose in my avatar right?

Or maybe you're not aware of what Curtis Mayfield represented and did for Civil Rights in the the late 60s

Curtis Mayfield walked, so Kap could run man lol

Reactions: zeeto and ReHabs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I remember the Staal brothers made the news one offseason for getting arrested during Eric's bachelor party at a resort in Minnesota for being drunk, loud and disorderly through the wee hours of the night and a nuisance to people staying at the resort.
Oh brother, what a calamity.

• Haha
Reactions: PhysicX

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Oh agreed there, like I wrote earlier...hiding behind selective and interpreted scriptures of the bible is unfortunately, very vogue right now.

But what I was trying to say was that this kind of performative activism, isn't necessarily support for a particular affected community.

I can't be 100% sure of this, but I'm fairly certain there are players who wore pride jerseys yet are deeply homophobic.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but i've never thought this type of activism is advancing inclusion...I feel like it does the opposite.
That's a fair point. I think it's okay to have this discussion as long as we separate the issue of the Staals's beliefs and the performative activism as two different things. Conflating the two gives the Staals an out which I don't think is owed to them.

Also side note: Kudos to you man that we can have a healthy, intellectual discussion about this issue and disagree is a respectiful manner! These are sensitive issues, but approaching the debate like this is so healthy and awesome!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've disliked Eric Staal ever since he intentionally took out Andrei Markov's knee at the Worlds many years ago. He oozes of being an entitled asshole.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things as many young people do this sort of stuff...especially millionaire entitled athletes with zero post-secondary education. I do find it a joke however that these self-proclaimed sainthood nominees use the bible as their shield for not wearing the jersey. They work on Sundays, Eric got caught bald face lying last night and I'd be willing to bet more than one of the Staal brothers have been involved in a large amount of sexual promiscuity throughout their careers and marriages. Eric wore a pride jersey in Montreal two years ago which means that this is something he has zero conviction about. I believe Reimer is at least sincere when he talks about his faith...as misguided as it is.

The Staal brothers are simply ignorant macho assholes blessed with far more athleticism than brainpower. Eric and Mark probably made the decision together the night before over a couple of beers saying that they "ain't wearing no Homophobic Slur jersey."

Good on Matthew Tkachuk for going out of his way to be inclusive of the LGBTQ community! He's the true blood and guts of that Panthers team.

I hope this causes a distraction and the Panthers continue their losing streak.
I kinda hate that a player I so deeply hate is... seemingly ? Intelligent, well spoken and, on the surface, a decent human being ?

f***, I guess you get a free gulag pass today, Tkachuk.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The NHL handled this as incorrectly as possible. There's more attention given to the holdouts than the actual event -- which, incidentally, is so vague as to be meaningless. It reeks of a lazy way to try to draw in more queer consumers. "Hey [LGBT+] people, spend some money with us too" that's all it is.

And the duckhunt after every event to get the hold-outs is such a massive distraction that it becomes the main event. Great job all around.

Reactions: zeeto and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's a fair point. I think it's okay to have this discussion as long as we separate the issue of the Staals's beliefs and the performative activism as two different things. Conflating the two gives the Staals an out which I don't think is owed to them.
Agreed which is what i've tried to do, explicitly but unfortunately whenever these kind of discussions take place, it gets lost in the "you're either with us, or against us" diatribe as has been attempted here above a few times.
Also side note: Kudos to you man that we can have a healthy, intellectual discussion about this issue and disagree is a respectiful manner! These are sensitive issues, but approaching the debate like this is so healthy and awesome!
Always!

I just don't expect it to last very long though lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
My in-laws are teachers, and the one thing being pushed in California is how incest should not be frowned upon and is a natural. So if the NHL gets behind this cause and pushes it, do you'all just support that as well or do you have any line at all where you say 'enough is enough'?

My point is , we all have lines, the NHL and all these corps are picking causes not because they care, just so there is no backlash. They will support anything that is deemed to 'look good'. I don't want to know what an NHL player supports off the ice, it isn't my business, and they shouldn't be forced to promote anything the NHL says.

You really don't think the NHL or any of these corporations care about the cause do you? lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The NHL handled this as incorrectly as possible. There's more attention given to the holdouts than the actual event -- which, incidentally, is so vague as to be meaningless. It reeks of a lazy way to try to draw in more queer consumers. "Hey [LGBT+] people, spend some money with us too" that's all it is.

And the duckhunt after every event to get the hold-outs is such a massive distraction that it becomes the main event. Great job all around.
That's pretty much on-brand for the NHL.

I'm trying to picture any closeted NHL player right now...after all of these "initiatives", do they feel any more comfortable with coming out? Did they even feel like they needed to come out in this specific venue (as NHL players) ? What was the real purpose of these initiatives? Whether it be Pride Jersey Night,, BHM jersey night, First Nations Jersey Night, etc?

Reactions: ReHabs

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
My in-laws are teachers, and the one thing being pushed in California is how incest should not be frowned upon and is a natural. So if the NHL gets behind this cause and pushes it, do you'all just support that as well or do you have any line at all where you say 'enough is enough'?
what's your source here?
My point is , we all have lines, the NHL and all these corps are picking causes not because they care, just so there is no backlash. They will support anything that is deemed to 'look good'. I don't want to know what an NHL player supports off the ice, it isn't my business, and they shouldn't be forced to promote anything the NHL says.

You really don't think the NHL or any of these corporations care about the cause do you? lol
weird how no one seems to have an issue with military appreciation night, or corporate branding on the jerseys.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Being anti-racist, daily. Allowing roaches to proliferate in your walls is just as bad as having them on your counter-top.

And yes, I am referring to anyone that is a bigot or a racist as a roach.

Still very vague. What does anti-racism entail?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

You realize whose in my avatar right?

Or maybe you're not aware of what Curtis Mayfield represented and did for Civil Rights in the the late 60s

Curtis Mayfield walked, so Kap could run man lol

I was referring to the first amendment middle-man BS.

Also Im sure you'd be able to separate the artist from the person as a middle-manner. It's hard to do for Kap as he just wasn't that good and stood out for one thing only. (Aside from playing on a team with the greatest linebacking trio of all-time.)

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Say what now?

I heard/read they're burning books in Florida...never heard about this in California though lol

That Cali bud is somethin' else man lol

I find it's causing a greater divide and making it more difficult for anyone who happens to be closeted or even the parent of a gay or trans child, etc.

Corporations leading social activism...yuck.

Reactions: holy and PhysicX

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Say what now?

I heard/read they're burning books in Florida...never heard about this in California though lol

That Cali bud is somethin' else man lol

I find it's causing a greater divide and making it more difficult for anyone who happens to be closeted or even the parent of a gay or trans child, etc.

Corporations leading social activism...yuck.
Remember the great litterbox fiasco, where allegedly there were litterboxes in bathrooms because people were identifying as cats. Seems like one of those things.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
calling out phobic bullshit immediately instead letting hang in the air is a start.

then, if they're open to it, you can try to explain to them why garbage like "hey i respect everyone but i don't respect you" is harmful, stupid and contradictory.
I'll let you know when I'm involved in an incident in which I have an "opportunity" of calling out phobic bullshit...

And people at the age of 30 and over already have their minds set on these matters.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
That's pretty much on-brand for the NHL.

I'm trying to picture any closeted NHL player right now...after all of these "initiatives", do they feel any more comfortable with coming out? Did they even feel like they needed to come out in this specific venue (as NHL players) ? What was the real purpose of these initiatives? Whether it be Pride Jersey Night,, BHM jersey night, First Nations Jersey Night, etc?
It's not solely for potential NHL players. It's largely to get more fans and grow the game.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Remember the great litterbox fiasco, where allegedly there were litterboxes in bathrooms because people were identifying as cats. Seems like one of those things.
I refuse to believe this, never mind search this.

STOOOOOOP:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
The women's bathrooms where I work all contain litterboxes.

Don't ask me how I know. Nor where I work.

• Haha
Reactions: Perrah

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Still very vague. What does anti-racism entail?

Here's a nice vulgarized anti-racist themed article. Not a bible and no hard facts, of course. I also think this is heavily slanted towards the writers own agenda, of course, and ignores other marginalized groups but that is another problem for another time.

This is also a great read, but it's a bit heavy and not very nice friday afternoon activity if you're not into it.

White Fragility, How to be an anti-racist and The New Jim Crowe are pretty good books about this.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
oufff Laine out.

It will be harder for the Jackets to beat us. They're already injury plagued and will be playing on a back-to-back.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I'll let you know when I'm involved in an incident in which I have an "opportunity" of calling out phobic bullshit...

And people at the age of 30 and over already have their minds set on these matters.
well good news, the Staal brothers suddenly making a 'stand' for religious freedom was one of them :laugh:

i found more anti-racism tips for you since you're curious.
  1. Educate yourself about racism and its impact: Start by reading books, articles, and watching documentaries that discuss racism and its impact. This will help you understand the history of racism and how it still affects individuals and communities today.
  2. Examine your own biases: We all have biases, but it’s important to recognize them and work to overcome them. Reflect on your own attitudes and beliefs about race, and challenge yourself to identify and correct any problematic thoughts or behaviors.
  3. Speak out against racism: When you see or hear racist comments or behavior, speak up and call it out. This can be uncomfortable, but it’s an important step in creating a culture of anti-racism.
  4. Support organizations that fight racism: Donate your time and money to organizations that work to promote racial justice and equity.
  5. Listen to and amplify the voices of people of color: Seek out and listen to the perspectives and experiences of people of color, and use your platform to amplify their voices.
  6. Practice empathy and compassion: Try to understand and empathize with the experiences of people who have faced discrimination and racism, and show compassion for their struggles.
of course, you can always take the lazy way out and decide "racism is over" and not try to learn more about this topic. it's up to you and how open-minded you wanna be :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad