Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
To me, Mario remains the best. I probably will never witness such grace, intelligence and talent in my living. McDavid is a legend. But Mario made others (and scrubs) around him elite, because he knew how to. I still think Connor is too many times about himself in his hockey sense.

Damn back and bad era to play in. In today’s hockey, with such open ice, he would get 200 points a season. Une main dans le dos. People talk about him coming from another era, but he did end his career in a much more defensive-minded era and STILL outproduced the younger stars.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
McDavid is the best ever he would dismantle these goalies from 85-95 they were a joke at best go watch the highlights.

Plus he's got that alien brain.

702e0c7b68b33fcded660a504292eea3.jpg

h0vxn1c23op41.jpg

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but what you're explaining to me is that the position has become more ubiquitous, which goes back to my point of how the gap has closed between the elite goalie and generic goalie.

I mean, the gap between a binnington and vasilevsky is tighter than say don beaupre and Patrick Roy back in the 90s.
i think i can buy that. the goalie position is simply not special anymore. an average goalie can reliably win cups with the right team, whereas in the past that was probably not the case. butterfly really did change everything, made goaltending ez for the average schmuck :laugh:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
i think i can buy that. the goalie position is simply not special anymore. an average goalie can reliably win cups with the right team, whereas in the past that was probably not the case. butterfly really did change everything, made goaltending ez for the average schmuck :laugh:
Only difference is todays average goalie would’ve been considered amongst the best in eras past.

That’s why there’s such a huge emphasis on “big goalies”, the speed of the game has exponential risen but human beings reflexes haven’t evolved at anywhere near the same rate…

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
“Not this time, Mr. Gretzky,” replied “Captivating” Cam Talbot.

The tech and the strategies evolve, but the greats are the greats. It’s why there’s footage of ‘96 Gretzky leaving a young Bill Guerin in the dust to score a shortie on Martin Brodeur, and why Joe Sakic, Sid, et al can put up ~1.2 ppg seasons ~20 years apart in their careers.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Age 34 season
Crosby, 31 goals, 84 points in 69 games
Gretzky, 11 goals, 48 points in 48 games
Lemieux, did not play.

Age 35 season
Crosby, 30 goals 84 points in 71 games
Gretzky, 15 goals, 81 points in 62 games
Lemieux, 35 goals, 76 points in 43 games

Interestingly, they're in the same ballpark.
Jagr has to be in there somewhere. I know he had like 120 something points with the Rangers one year and then 90 something the year after. He must of been mid 30's those seasons.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
To me, Mario remains the best. I probably will never witness such grace, intelligence and talent in my living. McDavid is a legend. But Mario made others (and scrubs) around him elite, because he knew how to. I still think Connor is too many times about himself in his hockey sense.

Damn back and bad era to play in. In today’s hockey, with such open ice, he would get 200 points a season. Une main dans le dos. People talk about him coming from another era, but he did end his career in a much more defensive-minded era and STILL outproduced the younger stars.
When McDavid will find the good coach to get him to play with other players, he'll get his Yzerman moment and multiple cups. Right now, to win he would need to control the ice for 60 minutes a game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but what you're explaining to me is that the position has become more ubiquitous, which goes back to my point of how the gap has closed between the elite goalie and generic goalie.

I mean, the gap between a binnington and vasilevsky is tighter than say don beaupre and Patrick Roy back in the 90s.
Thats because Vasilevsky isnt even close to the best goaltender in the league and the best goaltender in yhe league isnt even close to Roy. The talent pool is at an all-time low for goaltenders. We just witnessed the golden era of goaltending spear-headed by Price, Hank, Quick, Rinne, Lu, Bob, Fleury, Gibson, Rask, Miller, Andersen, Holtby, Bishop, Hiller, Bryzglalov. Only four current goaltenders currently compare to this list, and one of them is already on it.

Blame Canada and Sweden, basically removed 6-7 elite starters from these two countries alone.

It is disingenuous to ignore talent pool fluctuations, such as early 00s offensive talent, 2000s defensive talent, etc.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Jagr has to be in there somewhere. I know he had like 120 something points with the Rangers one year and then 90 something the year after. He must of been mid 30's those seasons.
If I'm not wrong, his age 34 and 34 seasons would be his last two full seasons as a Ranger, right before leaving for the KHL for a few seasons.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Thats because Vasilevsky isnt even close to the best goaltender in the league and the best goaltender in yhe league isnt even close to Roy. The talent pool is at an all-time low for goaltenders. We just witnessed the golden era of goaltending spear-headed by Price, Hank, Quick, Rinne, Lu, Bob, Fleury, Gibson, Rask, Miller, Andersen, Holtby, Bishop, Hiller, Bryzglalov. Only four current goaltenders currently compare to this list, and one of them is already on it.

Blame Canada and Sweden, basically removed 6-7 elite starters from these two countries alone.

It is disingenuous to ignore talent pool fluctuations, such as early 00s offensive talent, 2000s defensive talent, etc.

If you want to say vasilevsky is "not even close" to the best goaltender in the league, that's another can of worms and getting off tangent. Insert into my post whoever you think is elite today.

I think what sparked my interest is when someone said this is the worst era of goaltending, so thays the context. . Certainly from an entertainment standpoint, it stinks and has stunk for a while. Goalies used to have personality and their very distinct styles. Richter, Mclean, Roy, Brodeur, hasek, Ranford all had their unique traits. Now, it's the same general style with all goalies except for subtle differences.

It's a very scientific position now and there's no room for a Darren pang type of plug in today's game.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Its not relative. This is the worst goaltending era since butterfly was invented. Most offensive era since the 80s, etc. Mcdavid is good, saying hes the greatest ever is just flat out insulting to like 10+ players as of now.

"McDavid is good" has to be one of the funniest and inaccurate ways to describe McDavid.

Reactions: jaffy27

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If you want to say vasilevsky is "not even close" to the best goaltender in the league, that's another can of worms and getting off tangent. Insert into my post whoever you think is elite today.

I think what sparked my interest is when someone said this is the worst era of goaltending, so thays the context. . Certainly from an entertainment standpoint, it stinks and has stunk for a while. Goalies used to have personality and their very distinct styles. Richter, Mclean, Roy, Brodeur, hasek, Ranford all had their unique traits. Now, it's the same general style with all goalies except for subtle differences.

It's a very scientific position now and there's no room for a Darren pang type of plug in today's game.

I mean, there is absolutely no way anyone can defend Vasilevsky being better than any of the two russian Gs alone. Worst teams, better GSAA, S%, etc. All he has is team stats. (Not that these two stats arent team stats).

I said it was the worst crop of the butterfly era, so since 95ish. There has to be a crop thats lesser, and this is the one. Of course thats also influenced by skaters being better, equipment being smaller and goaltending advancement stagnating with Carey Price.

"McDavid is good" has to be one of the funniest and inaccurate ways to describe McDavid.
Wow

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Mario and Rick Nash are the only two players I've ever seen score goals with players literally draped all over them from the blue line in.

Reactions: Fenris

holy

Demigod
May 22, 2017
I’m glad hockey players aren’t just sheepishly putting on pride jerseys. That whole movement has become insane, and at the end of the day no one needs to focus on who’s banging who. I wish that stuff would just go back to being private.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad