Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
None of them compare. The usual #5 candidates are Hull and Beliveau, Crosby is wiping the floor with Beliveaus longevity and already surpassed Hull in ever metric.

He is closer to Howe at #4 than he is the #6.
I don’t know man, I’d take Richard over both those guys. His postseason resume is insane. And Harvey would’ve had eight Norris trophies if it had been around - it was basically invented for him. He’s still the 2nd best blueliner ever. Ovechkin is right there too… it’s not cut and dry.

Reactions: Fenris

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
How many players have scored 30 goals and reached close to 100 points in their age 35 season?

I will always consider Crosby as of one the top ten greatest players ever.

Incredible

Johnny bucyk scored 116 points in his 36 year old season, and then 92 the season after I believe.

Reactions: rfournier103

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's the best player to ever play the game IMO.
Screenshot_20230323_004548_Chrome.jpg

Lets turn it down

• Love
Reactions: the

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It’s a relative measure and can’t effectively compare generations - majority of players during Gretzky’s time were poor skaters, compared to the level of skilled players including goalie standards currently that McDavid plays against vs very mediocre goaltending in previous eras.

On the other side of the token, clutching & grabbing that Gretzky & Lemieux had to deal with… McDavid doesn’t.

Also let’s not forget technology - starting w the rocket launcher 1-piece sticks vs wooden tree trunk heavy Sherwood’s…

Reactions: Belial

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It’s a relative measure and can’t effectively compare generations - majority of players during Gretzky’s time were poor skaters, compared to the level of skilled players including goalie standards currently that McDavid plays against vs very mediocre goaltending in previous eras.

On the other side of the token, clutching & grabbing that Gretzky & Lemieux had to deal with… McDavid doesn’t.

Also let’s not forget technology - starting w the rocket launcher 1-piece sticks vs wooden tree trunk heavy Sherwood’s…
Its not relative. This is the worst goaltending era since butterfly was invented. Most offensive era since the 80s, etc. Mcdavid is good, saying hes the greatest ever is just flat out insulting to like 10+ players as of now.

• Love
Reactions: zeeto and the

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Its not relative. This is the worst goaltending era since butterfly was invented. Most offensive era since the 80s, etc. Mcdavid is good, saying hes the greatest ever is just flat out insulting to like 10+ players as of now.
But it’s not the worst goaltending era, in other eras existing goalies would’ve been as good or better collectively….. goalie performance has become limited by removal of red line + step change in skill improvement across a lineup (no one has traditional 4th line waste anymore) + 1-piece rocket launchers that allow quicker release / harder shot than goalies have ever seen before + the best performing athletes NHL has ever put out game in - game out and all of this encapsulated with ballerina tutu hockey focus (no hitting, no fighting, no clutching, no grabbing)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That was different era

The question was if it's ever been done, not whether it happened in a certain era. Regardless, it's not like there were a bunch of 100 point scorers back then either. There were four players who eclipsed 100 that year.... Three of them happened to play on Boston.

Either way it's very rare. Bucyk's entire career is an outlier. He had his best years past the age of 35. I know bobby Orr was there, but he still kept scoring even when Orr got hurt.

Reactions: Fenris

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Age 34 season
Crosby, 31 goals, 84 points in 69 games
Gretzky, 11 goals, 48 points in 48 games
Lemieux, did not play.

Age 35 season
Crosby, 30 goals 84 points in 71 games
Gretzky, 15 goals, 81 points in 62 games
Lemieux, 35 goals, 76 points in 43 games

Interestingly, they're in the same ballpark.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
But it’s not the worst goaltending era, in other eras existing goalies would’ve been as good or better collectively….. goalie performance has become limited by removal of red line + step change in skill improvement across a lineup (no one has traditional 4th line waste anymore) + 1-piece rocket launchers that allow quicker release / harder shot than goalies have ever seen before + the best performing athletes NHL has ever put out game in - game out and all of this encapsulated with ballerina tutu hockey focus (no hitting, no fighting, no clutching, no grabbing)

Its certainly not the worst goalie era. The generic goalie in the league is as good as ever. The result is that you don't have a high number of upper echelon goalies that seperate themselves from the pack to the extent that they used to.

The goaltending position is such a science now compared to eras past.... It's almost robotic.

Reactions: Andrei79

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Age 34 season
Lemieux, did not play.

Age 35 season

I’ll always believe Lemieux as the best ever. Just couldn’t stay healthy.

If he played in todays league he’d be even better than he was. Imagine not being able to clutch and grab. It was the only way to stop him.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Its certainly not the worst goalie era. The generic goalie in the league is as good as ever. The result is that you don't have a high number of upper echelon goalies that seperate themselves from the pack to the extent that they used to.

The goaltending position is such a science now compared to eras past.... It's almost robotic.
You say it's a science now and that it's robotic, which to me implies consistency. Instead what we get is more randomness:

- no-name goalies that come out of nowhere to win the cup, and then regress to mediocrity
- far fewer top tier goalies, like you said, who can consistently maintain good numbers their whole career

A wise man once said: consistency is everything!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Age 34 season
Lemieux, did not play.

Age 35 season

Lemieux is just out of this world lmao.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You say it's a science now and that it's robotic, which to me implies consistency. Instead what we get is more randomness:

- no-name goalies that come out of nowhere to win the cup, and then regress to mediocrity
- far fewer top tier goalies, like you said, who can consistently maintain good numbers their whole career

A wise man once said: consistency is everything!

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but what you're explaining to me is that the position has become more ubiquitous, which goes back to my point of how the gap has closed between the elite goalie and generic goalie.

I mean, the gap between a binnington and vasilevsky is tighter than say don beaupre and Patrick Roy back in the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad