Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
If you're Pitts, would you trade Malkin (if at all even possible)?

I remember some time back, Pitts was mostly just Syd and Malkin, lots of non-Pitts fans were clamouring for them to trade Malkin to fill obvious holes.

Now whether or not they should have done that at the time is left to everyone's imagination. If you're the GM of the team, and you also think you've gone into the team's "twilight" years, do you trade him?

Syd will retire a Penguin, hopefully, and not fizzle out his career with 5 teams in 3 years like a lot of old vets. But Malkin? If hockey is a business...there's got to be some amount of desire to bolster up the cupboards to make the transition smoother...

I think the players there (letang crosby malkin) have earned the right to leave on their terms a bit like chicago leadership

They really look like a worn down group , they still play hard but they seem quite tired

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
For once, I agree with you.

These are definitely meatheads doing meathead stuff and should be fined, but there's no moral ambiguity here. Just some dumbasses in need of getting their faces punched in.

But it does bring up a good point...someone who needs a wheelchair, generally does not leave that chair...where was this person? Don't these things fold up too? Like why leave it there? That's kind of the worst place to leave a wheelchair, no?

So many questions.
The only bathroom available was at the bottom of the stairs and the wheelchair wouldn't fit. Her friends carried her down. Briere was also charged with criminal mischief and disorderly conduct.

Reactions: zeeto

Fainting Couch

Jun 21, 2019
That's kind of the worst place to leave a wheelchair, no?
In front of the staff door with a security camera in plain sight? Yes, could not think of a worse place!

FrTyNWwWwAM570Q

Reactions: zeeto

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Pens are old and they keep making moves to make them older. They have 63M of cap committed to 15 guys next year. 51.5M of it is to going to 12 guys on the wrong side of 30. Of that 30M is to guys on the wrong side of 35.

The prospect pick cupboard is not exactly overflowing either.
When they crash they will crash hard. Seems the win now mentality is going to backfire in a huge way.

Reactions: Rapala

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If you're Pitts, would you trade Malkin (if at all even possible)?

I remember some time back, Pitts was mostly just Syd and Malkin, lots of non-Pitts fans were clamouring for them to trade Malkin to fill obvious holes.

Now whether or not they should have done that at the time is left to everyone's imagination. If you're the GM of the team, and you also think you've gone into the team's "twilight" years, do you trade him?

Syd will retire a Penguin, hopefully, and not fizzle out his career with 5 teams in 3 years like a lot of old vets. But Malkin? If hockey is a business...there's got to be some amount of desire to bolster up the cupboards to make the transition smoother...
The sensible thing would be to blow it up from head to toe. Crosby is already a livint legenr top 5 of all-time, I dont know how you approach that.

I would certainly take all my guys in a room and explain to them the situation. "Were not competing any time soon, do you want to move on to a competitive team?".

You hope the answer is yes from most of them. Moving these guys could bolster up a future really quick.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Bruins are just a fun franchise man. Great team, exciting players and good media teams... f*** me.

Surely one of the franchises Habs want to model themselves after. Teams like Bruins, Tampa & Avs are three teams I think Habs are striving to become.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They went there because they learned to grind long playoffs. Same reason why the Leafs wont ever win. Depth wins cups.

And no Jeannot and Pezz arent "not far off", thats actually insane, lol.

Jeannot, despite average bottom 6 production, is still a good play driver and defensive forward, plus hes a typical grind deez guys type of guy and he can fight.

Hes basically Anderson if Anderson still played physical and actually defended. Im sure youd say Anderson is worth around that, right
Insane in the membraaaaane!

Edit - it’s just a joke, a reference to a Cypress Hill song that dovetails into our convo the other day :nod:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
When they crash they will crash hard. Seems the win now mentality is going to backfire in a huge way.

I'm sure they are fully aware of it. They have committed to the idea of trying to win until as long as crosby and makin are around.

After they are gone, the fans will leave with them, and the team will be on the brink of relocation, until they draft the next phenom #1.

Thats the story of the penguins entire existence in a nutshell.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm sure they are fully aware of it. They have committed to the idea of trying to win until as long as crosby and makin are around.

After they are gone, the fans will leave with them, and the team will be on the brink of relocation, until they draft the next phenom #1.

Thats the story of the penguins entire existence in a nutshell.
Well said. The only team Pittsburgh will support through thick and thin are the Steelers. I grew up 30 miles from Pittsburgh and vividly remember the 5,000 fans in attendance for Pirate games. If the Pens sucked the fans stayed home.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Well said. The only team Pittsburgh will support through thick and thin are the Steelers. I grew up 30 miles from Pittsburgh and vividly remember the 5,000 fans in attendance for Pirate games. If the Pens sucked the fans stayed home.

To be fair, my post was mostly tongue in cheek. There is a part of me that wonders maybe history won't repeat itself this time because I think the longevity of a legacy over time is worth something. Maybe the Mario/jagr legacy wasn't enough on its own, but now sid/Malkin era has added to it even more.

But your opinion is certainly worth more than mine since you actually lived in the market.

Reactions: rfournier103

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Old man Sid is tied with EP for 6th most even strength points this year (60). I really thought the Pens had the personnel to dig deep and win a round, but everyone but the usual suspects are terrible

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There are 12 teams with at least 88 points and 7 of those team have 92 points or more. Hughes is right, it will take a few years to make this a legit playoff team.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Old man Sid is tied with EP for 6th most even strength points this year (60). I really thought the Pens had the personnel to dig deep and win a round, but everyone but the usual suspects are terrible
He'd probably be leading the league in points if he didn't have Rust on his line and if the PP could be even average. He has been truly great this year.

Reactions: shamrun

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
There are 12 teams with at least 88 points and 7 of those team have 92 points or more. Hughes is right, it will take a few years to make this a legit playoff team.
His interview yesterday gave me a better understanding of how NHL teams think. When he said that everything depended on when the top teams of today would eventually decline and could be passed in the standings. He is committed to a youth movement with no big splash trades or free-agent signings.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
How many players have scored 30 goals and reached close to 100 points in their age 35 season?

I will always consider Crosby as of one the top ten greatest players ever.

Incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad