Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Watching the Michigan vs Michigan St game and in OT, Luke Hughes scored with 0.6 seconds left

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Blows my mind that Dustin tokarski is still in the NHL

Played last night in relief of de Smith against the kings.

He basically disappeared from the NHL after his time here in 14-16 and then came back with Buffalo 3 years ago.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Blows my mind that Dustin tokarski is still in the NHL

Played last night in relief of de Smith against the kings.

He basically disappeared from the NHL after his time here in 14-16 and then came back with Buffalo 3 years ago.
Goaltending isn't what is used to be. Once the Price's generation all started to retire (mostly due to injuries) there wasn't as much goalies of their caliber to replace them. Also, injuries went up with all the equipment and rule changes...

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
since this is the out of town thread, anyone care to offer an opinion on the what the f*** is going on in the pacific northwest with unidentified flying objects getting shot down over alaska and now the yukon today?
nope because thats going to be politics and I guarantee no one will like my response about Brandon Flexing at the chinese and even the republicans grinning and clapping about this garbage. If you had the shoe on the other foot what do you think would happen. Say the Chinese blew up a balloon even over Taiwan which is their province and even the USA believes officially in the one china policy. I don't think it would be long till we saw nukes raining down on China from subs in the south china sea. Better have a bunker because the end of the American Empire may be the one that ends the world.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Capitals beat Bruins. Bs lost 3 out of last 4. Older team long season taking it's affect. I hope they burn out in playoffs. Lose in first round

Boston good as they been this year needs to run the table rest of season to tie '77 Habs record of 8 losses.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Goaltending isn't what is used to be. Once the Price's generation all started to retire (mostly due to injuries) there wasn't as much goalies of their caliber to replace them. Also, injuries went up with all the equipment and rule changes...

Goalies do seem to break down quicker from that generation, but is it because of equipment? I dont recall a sigificant amount of injuries resulting from shots or anything like that.

Rule changes are theoretically making goalies move laterally more often now.... But I wonder if it's more a technical issue. These style of goalies are putting an incredible strain on their bodies, whereas the hybrid style of a guy like Marc Andre fleury, and Marty Brodeur before him seem to have more durability in their career.

Price obviously had the kreider thing happen, but even he has said it's not one specific incident that led to his demise. It was just the wear and tear of the position in general.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
nope because thats going to be politics and I guarantee no one will like my response about Brandon Flexing at the chinese and even the republicans grinning and clapping about this garbage. If you had the shoe on the other foot what do you think would happen. Say the Chinese blew up a balloon even over Taiwan which is their province and even the USA believes officially in the one china policy. I don't think it would be long till we saw nukes raining down on China from subs in the south china sea. Better have a bunker because the end of the American Empire may be the one that ends the world.
"nope not gonna answer" (followed by long doomer rant) :laugh:

Reactions: Paddyjack

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Goalies do seem to break down quicker from that generation, but is it because of equipment? I dont recall a sigificant amount of injuries resulting from shots or anything like that.

Rule changes are theoretically making goalies move laterally more often now.... But I wonder if it's more a technical issue. These style of goalies are putting an incredible strain on their bodies, whereas the hybrid style of a guy like Marc Andre fleury, and Marty Brodeur before him seem to have more durability in their career.

Price obviously had the kreider thing happen, but even he has said it's not one specific incident that led to his demise. It was just the wear and tear of the position in general.
my take: the modern game has made goalies disposable. you're just as likely (perhaps even more likely) to win with an average goalie who's well-surrounded and gets hot for a season than with a star goalie.

there practically are no star goalies left anyways. gone are the days of Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Price, Lundqvist. the top 5 is a different set of names every season

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
my take: the modern game has made goalies disposable. you're just as likely (perhaps even more likely) to win with an average goalie who's well-surrounded and gets hot for a season than with a star goalie.

there practically are no star goalies left anyways. gone are the days of Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Price, Lundqvist. the top 5 is a different set of names every season

Not really.. it's just that there was a gap between the old guard and the new guard.

Vasilevskiy is a monster and may very well end up being the name mentioned after Hasek and Roy.

Shesterkin is a top 5 goalie and will remain that way.
Saros is a top 10 goalie with some variance into the top 5 on some years.
Sorokin is a top 5 goalie as well, just on a team that is boring with no offense and is platooning him with Varlarmov too often.
Oettinger has ascended and will be very good for a long time.

Askarov should announce himself in that type of tier soon, as well.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Not really.. it's just that there was a gap between the old guard and the new guard.

Vasilevskiy is a monster and may very well end up being the name mentioned after Hasek and Roy.

Sorokin is a top 5 goalie as well, just on a team that is boring with no offense and is platooning him with Varlarmov too often.

Vasi i'll grant you is a counterpoint.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Equipment rule change is just more wear and tears on top of the rest. Not direct injuries.

Last year, I listened to a radio interview with Chicago goalie coach (Jimmy Waite), and he said that goalies are getting bigger and heavier and that it doesn't mesh well with the butterfly technic because it's more strains on the knees and hips. So yes, it's probably mostly technical in the end, but it will take a while before goalies transition.

Reactions: Fenris and Rapala

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Makes you wonder if a trade really is imminent or Coyotes just blatantly tanking by sitting Chychrun until deadline...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Vasi is a great freaking goalie. But man he’s on an incredible team.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
since this is the out of town thread, anyone care to offer an opinion on the what the f*** is going on in the pacific northwest with unidentified flying objects getting shot down over alaska and now the yukon today?
1676329410233.gif

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Makes you wonder if a trade really is imminent or Coyotes just blatantly tanking by sitting Chychrun until deadline...

I think their plan is to trade him before the deadline, but they realized he might get injured again so it was better to sit him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad