HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Reinbacher v. Michkov debate won't be resolved until they actually start their NHL careers, but I get why we're still discussing it. A top-5 pick during a rebuild is a big deal. The chance to draft a potential star forward is something Montreal hasn't had in decades. We've just learned a big reason for not picking Michkov has evaporated. So now what? We can be Zen about it – "No guarantees with draft picks", "Every team makes mistakes", "No way to know if he succeeds here" – all of which is true. However if Michkov becomes a top forward it will be a huge miss by Montreal's scouts and a huge opportunity lost.

Yeah, lots of teams miss big. Unfortunately, that's why lots of teams never become contenders.

Repeating this for emphasis: "The Reinbacher v. Michkov debate won't be resolved until they actually start their NHL careers..."
Like most people, I was disappointed when we didn’t take Michkov. Habs felt RB was a better option. Partially because of positional scarcity I’m sure.

I also was extremely disappointed that we took Slaf over Wright. I’m not disappointed anymore.

Bottom line: most of us haven’t seen much of these players. Like everyone here, I have opinions but they’re mostly based on what I’ve read not what I’ve seen.

The mgmt group has won my trust. Maybe it will turn out to be a mistake but we’ll see. In the meantime, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For the game tonight - McDavid has 11 points in the finals. Record all time is 13 by Gretzky

McDavid has 42 playoff points - Gretzky is #1 at 47, and Lemieux #2 at 44.

47 is probably out of reach. But I'd love to see McDavid with 3 points to get 14 in finals, and move into #2 behind Gretzky and pass Lemieux's 44 (Im a huuuuge Mario fan - doesn't matter, records are meant to be broken).

I want Oilers to win but I especially hope to see a legendary game from McDavid to cap off this amazing comeback.
Tough loss for him tonight. Regardless, amazing accomplishment to get into the conversation with those guys.

However, it’s important to remember that he racked up those points in a lot more games.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They retained salary on Korpisalo, too.

I wonder if Ullmark resigns in Ottawa.

I don't think they gave up all that much. They needed out from Korpisalo's contract. That's done.

Kastelic is a 4th line center, who didn't do much for Ottawa. He got benched for lack of physicality in games. We'll see if playing in Boston changes that. He can fight, but he'll glide away from finishing his checks more than he should.

That leaves the 25th overall pick, which was originally Boston's pick.

I mean just getting rid of Korpisalo would cost them a late 1st. He has 4 years left on his contract.
Indeed. I'm surprised that this is the best the Bs could do...

Bahl + '25 1st from Jersey would've been better than kastelic, Korpisalo & 25OA imo.

Great deal for Ottawa. If he fits in, re-signed Ullmark gives them their #1 for years to come... If he doesn't want to extend, as long as he's healthy by mid-season, they'll be able to flip him for some decent deadline assets.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They're desperate and going crazy with the massive missed opportunity they endured with this core.

Datsyuk had a bad reputation in the playoffs too... until he didn't.

Getting rid of Marner is an extremely dangerous move. He's a very very good player. Keefe was not fit to coach him.
The Leafs have too much of the same player and not enough elsewhere. Marner hasn’t shown up for years.

Yes, he could turn it around. It is a risk. But they’re keeping a couple of studs who’ve produced better when it matters and freeing up cap space to help in other areas. I think trading Marner is the right move and have advocated for this for a long time now.

Fortunately they didn’t do it. More fortunately, I’m not a Leaf fan.

Reactions: Miller Time

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
The mgmt group has won my trust. Maybe it it will turn out to be a mistake but we’ll see. In the meantime, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

What else can you do really? I mean it's not even our mistake to make. I voted for Tij on the draft poll yesterday. I might be wrong about who is the best pick. But I am not making the decision anyways, and I don't get paid for it. All we can do is give management a chance and hope for the best. We don't decide what the GM does or who gets the job of GM in the first place.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Tough loss for him tonight. Regardless, amazing accomplishment to get into the conversation with those guys.

However, it’s important to remember that he racked up those points in a lot more games.

Of course. You won't find too many fans on here who think more highly of Gretzky or Lemieux than I do

So yes - more games. Still think with a stellar game 7 and the all-time record for final points, combined with the 0-3 comeback it would have been in contention for #1 best playoff run ever.

As it ends up - because Oilers fell short and McDavid couldn't get through in games 6 and 7, it no longer is as high as #1 to me. Its up there, but just a little ways back.

A super fun playoff run to follow as a neutral fan

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Side note - it's insane how toxic the main boards are towards players like McDavid or Crosby

So many idiotic posts/threads I'm seeing this morning of people jumping all over McDavid for losing. Similarly, so many McDavid supporters constantly needing to bash Crosby to shreds to talk up their guy, or vice-versa.

Why can't both guys be great and worthy of praise without the constant need to bash one guy in order to prop up another?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Side note - it's insane how toxic the main boards are towards players like McDavid or Crosby

So many idiotic posts/threads I'm seeing this morning of people jumping all over McDavid for losing. Similarly, so many McDavid supporters constantly needing to bash Crosby to shreds to talk up their guy, or vice-versa.

Why can't both guys be great and worthy of praise without the constant need to bash one guy in order to prop up another?
Once again hockey proves itself as being the ultimate TEAM game, regardless of how good an individual player is…

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Once again hockey proves itself as being the ultimate TEAM game, regardless of how good an individual player is…
Or in McDavid's case, how bad his team is.

Hopefully McDavid joins a serious organisation as soon as he can.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
I would just like to make mention of how awful Sportsnet is. Because I live in nothern Canada where the population is smaller, they regularly don't care about providing proper service. At least 5 times a game the feed cuts out for multiple minutes and this time it lasted the entire last 13 minutes of the Stanely Cup final.

The reason I know it's Sportsnet is not only does my internet clearly work, I found an 'illegal' Sportsnet stream that I could cast to my TV. Hopefully RDS provides a better service.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Nightmare :skull:

1000005215.jpg

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Happy for Paul Maurice

Glad the Oilers’ awful ownership/management wasn’t vindicated

McDavid needs to win a few cups, he’s so good.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It’s hard to win with a slow defence.

Watching Ceci, Nurse, Bouchard, etc. being forechecked to death must have been a painful experience for Oilers fans. The Panthers had no respect for the Oilers’ defence and simply employed a dump and chase tactic knowing that on most occasions their forwards would beat the Oilers’ defense to the puck. As a result, for most of the Series, it was like a chaotic fire drill in the Oilers’ defensive zone. That resulting chaos provides a cautionary tale for the many Montreal fans who are seemingly anxious to trade away our most mobile defencemen.

Oilers lost this series at the trade deadline when Holland failed to upgrade the mobility of his defence.

Frankly, without the brilliance of McDavid, the Oilers aren’t a playoff team..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Of course. You won't find too many fans on here who think more highly of Gretzky or Lemieux than I do

So yes - more games. Still think with a stellar game 7 and the all-time record for final points, combined with the 0-3 comeback it would have been in contention for #1 best playoff run ever.

As it ends up - because Oilers fell short and McDavid couldn't get through in games 6 and 7, it no longer is as high as #1 to me. Its up there, but just a little ways back.

A super fun playoff run to follow as a neutral fan
What’s really impressive is that he did it on an otherwise mediocre club. It’s one of the best runs of all time without a doubt. Any time you’re in a conversation that includes Mario and Gretz you know it’s fantastic.

And he absolutely deserved the Smythe.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I was thinking that would be a good thing but it doesn’t look like any of the D are going to be the #1 the habs need. All would need some massive improvements in at least one aspect.
I don’t get how you can say this. Guhle is 22 and already playing massive minutes. He’s going to improve. The rest of our future D core hasn’t even played yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad