HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Seems like it played an important role nonetheless.

Sounds to me like they liked the player skillset, but chose to pass on him for external reason, his contract situation with the SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL being the major one.

View attachment 886074
WOOF I did not know about that second quote. "He is competitive...you live with his mistakes". So much for the posters telling me off because Basu said Habs didn't like his game and his lack of completeness. So clearly they liked his compete level and didn't think his defensive play was so bad that he should skip him because of that.

So that's already two things that posters here have said defending not picking Michkov that's been proven to be bullshit. Him likely coming over late is already invalidated (so much for Borbov's dad being our secret weapon of intel), and Habs did in fact like his compete while thinking his defensive game was tolerable despite what posters here and Basu kept shoving down the throats of "critics". So unless Michkov turns out to be this giant insufferable asshole that everyone on the team hates, all the defending has been for nothing. Of course, he could still be a flawed player with poor compete and defensive game, but the Habs clearly didn't think so at the time of the draft.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Let me guess....you had a big sad when Reinbacher was drafted.
1) No, not at all. I wanted Michkov or Benson because I knew we needed a forward and 2024 would be d-man heavy but I didn't have any problem with them picking Reinbacher.

2) The above has nothing to do with your "call me cynical but I don't think [entire race of people] are capable of compassion" statement. Care to rephrase?

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
WOOF I did not know about that second quote. "He is competitive...you live with his mistakes". So much for the posters telling me off because Basu said Habs didn't like his game and his lack of completeness. So clearly they liked his compete level and didn't think his defensive play was so bad that he should skip him because of that.

So that's already two things that posters here have said defending not picking Michkov that's been proven to be bullshit. Him likely coming over late is already invalidated (so much for Borbov's dad being our secret weapon of intel), and Habs did in fact like his compete while thinking his defensive game was tolerable despite what posters here and Basu kept shoving down the throats of "critics". So unless Michkov turns out to be this giant insufferable asshole that everyone on the team hates, all the defending has been for nothing. Of course, he could still be a flawed player with poor compete and defensive game, but the Habs clearly didn't think so at the time of the draft.
I don't want to be too conspiratorial but I felt the Habs had zero interest in Michkov due to a confluence of factors* and Lapointe's quote was just to feed the media a bit with some passive general statement to get them off his back. They liked Reinbacher more... and that's fair enough.

*Factors: his size, his skating, his contract, Reinbacher's performance, Reinbacher's position.

The Habs were very big on Reinbacher. We have no choice but to accept that. It's fine. What is annoying is Habs fans making up excuses to smear Michkov before, during, and now after the draft. Excuses that were totally ungrounded and unserious. I hope Michkov torches the NHL and sticks a finger up to all these bozos.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't want to be too conspiratorial but I felt the Habs had zero interest in Michkov due to a confluence of factors* and Lapointe's quote was just to feed the media a bit with some passive general statement to get them off his back. They liked Reinbacher more... and that's fair enough.
Saying you like someone's compete level when you don't isn't some kind of passive general statement. A more passive general statement to me would be saying that Michkov is a very talented player but we felt that we can't pass up on Reinbacher who we feel will be a massive piece for our team.

Ultimately, we all want Reinbacher to excel regardless of what Michkov does. It's got more to do with posters trying to explain that we didn't pick him because if he does come over it would be late, he's got a very poor defensive game, and his compete level is bad when all three of these points are already invalid.

Reactions: ReHabs

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I wanted Michkov, not following the draft as much as you. I wasn’t happy with the choice.

Now, it may be PR drivel, but some credible writers did mention after the fact that the reason why the Habs did not draft him was as hockey related (didn’t like his commitment on the ice) as much as non-hockey related (attitude issues).

We’ll see over the course of the next years if it was true or not. Until then, opinion are fine. I don’t mind people rubbing it in a bit. But it’s only internet smack. People shouldn’t take it personnally.

Until I see these suspects play for real, I’ll refrain from comparing players (you can’t, different position).

Reactions: Miller Time

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Right, I bet Boston worried sick about Marchand antics when he raised the cup, or Chicago management was punching air because of selfish asshole Kane and his three stanley cup ring lmao.

Luckily for us fan, we picked mr. nice guy Reinbacher. Can't wait to see this guy being the cornerstone of our defensive squad when we finally compete for championships.
What I was trying to say is that they are NOT going to disclose the real reason they passed on him. And he did not want to go to Arizona. It's possible he had no interest in Montreal and would have stated in Russia for 3+ seasons if Habs drafted him.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The Reinbacher v. Michkov debate won't be resolved until they actually start their NHL careers, but I get why we're still discussing it. A top-5 pick during a rebuild is a big deal. The chance to draft a potential star forward is something Montreal hasn't had in decades. We've just learned a big reason for not picking Michkov has evaporated. So now what? We can be Zen about it – "No guarantees with draft picks", "Every team makes mistakes", "No way to know if he succeeds here" – all of which is true. However if Michkov becomes a top forward it will be a huge miss by Montreal's scouts and a huge opportunity lost.

Yeah, lots of teams miss big. Unfortunately, that's why lots of teams never become contenders.

Repeating this for emphasis: "The Reinbacher v. Michkov debate won't be resolved until they actually start their NHL careers..."

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

It proves nothing. HuGo are not going to say anything negative about him.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I didnt decide anything, its a direct quote from lapointe, doesnt even matter if its the sole reason, its part of the reason, they were wrong, like what are you arguing here
You took part of the quote to fit your narrative.

The contract was an unknown, yes, but Lapointe mentioned his play in the defensive end and “many unknowns”. In fact, he only mentions the contract situation last.

IMG_0844.jpeg

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Yeah, lots of teams miss big. Unfortunately, that's why lots of teams never become contenders.
It's important to keep this in mind for the "trust the process" and "in GM we trust" crowd. I pledge not to be a rampant pessimist as I have been at times but realism over blind optimism makes for more interesting conversations imo. Reinbacher over Michkov is a truly interesting decision and if they both hit, as I hope, we should have a lot of fun arguing about it in the seasons to come.

Reactions: Andrei79 and Lshap

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
For the game tonight - McDavid has 11 points in the finals. Record all time is 13 by Gretzky

McDavid has 42 playoff points - Gretzky is #1 at 47, and Lemieux #2 at 44.

47 is probably out of reach. But I'd love to see McDavid with 3 points to get 14 in finals, and move into #2 behind Gretzky and pass Lemieux's 44 (Im a huuuuge Mario fan - doesn't matter, records are meant to be broken).

I want Oilers to win but I especially hope to see a legendary game from McDavid to cap off this amazing comeback.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That sentiment doesn't really hold up for recent cup winners & perennial contenders...

Bolts missed big on back to back top 10 picks (3OA, 10OA) in 2012 & 2013... Finalist in '15 & '21, conf finalist in '16 &'18, cup winner in ''19 & '20

Vegas missed big with 2 of 3 top 15 picks (6OA & 15 OA) in 2017... Cup win in '23, 2x conference finalist in '20 & '21.

Panthers, Stars, Avs... All have had big misses with top 10-15 first round picks in recent years.

Not sure that there's a strong correlation to be found btw "missing big" and "never becoming contenders".

Probably more accurate to say that most, if not all, teams "miss big", but contenders make up for it by "hitting big" with later picks or saavy trades/signings.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That sentiment doesn't really hold up for recent cup winners & perennial contenders...

Bolts missed big on back to back top 10 picks (3OA, 10OA) in 2012 & 2013... Finalist in '15 & '21, conf finalist in '16 &'18, cup winner in ''19 & '20

Vegas missed big with 2 of 3 top 15 picks (6OA & 15 OA) in 2017... Cup win in '23, 2x conference finalist in '20 & '21.

Panthers, Stars, Avs... All have had big misses with top 10-15 first round picks in recent years.

Not sure that there's a strong correlation to be found btw "missing big" and "never becoming contenders".

Probably more accurate to say that most, if not all, teams "miss big", but contenders make up for it by "hitting big" with later picks or saavy trades/signings.

There isn't. Everyone misses in top 10, and it doesn't have to stop them from being contenders if they do well with other drafts or in other parts of team development.

We already know Montreal is trying to develop the backend first, and get speed & size upfront. Dach & Slafkovsky help with that. Newhook brought the speed.

Montreal is trying to build a team that can contend. That's build down the middle, get a big D that moves the puck, and have wingers with a mix of speed, size & skill.

In any case, I don't think we missed at all in top 10. I think Reinbacher is going to be a stud for us.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I agree – you can excuse drafting the wrong guy as long as you grab the right guy elsewhere. I don't care if our future stars are Hutson and Dach, or Slafkovsky and Reinbacher. I don't care how we get elite talent, as long as we get it. The only thing that'll stick in my gut like sour milk is if these rebuild seasons produce no homerun draft picks, while a kid we avoided like Michkov shoots to the top. Three top-5 picks is a roster-defining opportunity.

Reactions: Miller Time

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Right, I bet Boston worried sick about Marchand antics when he raised the cup, or Chicago management was punching air because of selfish asshole Kane and his three stanley cup ring lmao.

Luckily for us fan, we picked mr. nice guy Reinbacher. Can't wait to see this guy being the cornerstone of our defensive squad when we finally compete for championships.
Bruins (Chia-pet & Sweeney) multiple times had deals prepped for Marchand (per Kevin Paul DuPont their beat writer), it was Julien going to bat for him that kept the deal from happening

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I agree – you can excuse drafting the wrong guy as long as you grab the right guy elsewhere. I don't care if our future stars are Hutson and Dach, or Slafkovsky and Reinbacher. The only thing that'll stick in my gut like sour milk is if these rebuild seasons produce no homerun draft picks, while a kid we avoided like Michkov shoots to the top. Three top-5 picks is a roster-defining opportunity.

I would have rather two picks in top 3 rather than 3 in top 5. We needed a better effort to tank last year, and it isn't due to Michkov.

This year is a bit different. There's a lot of different ways it can go.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Saying you like someone's compete level when you don't isn't some kind of passive general statement. A more passive general statement to me would be saying that Michkov is a very talented player but we felt that we can't pass up on Reinbacher who we feel will be a massive piece for our team.

Ultimately, we all want Reinbacher to excel regardless of what Michkov does. It's got more to do with posters trying to explain that we didn't pick him because if he does come over it would be late, he's got a very poor defensive game, and his compete level is bad when all three of these points are already invalid.
1) What makes you so adamant that he would be here next season if the Habs had drafted him. All signs point towards a favoritism with Philly right there, since the draft day. I bet he would still be in Russia next year instead of us.
2) Poor defensive game. Lapointe's quote actually proves it, he said "you live with his mistakes". What that means is that the guy is indeed bad in his zone, but his offensive skill offset this. My, you hope you can coach the guy well because how many forwards in the league are ultimately bad in the POs because they are a defensive liability?

So, well, your "3 points are invalid" are a bit incorrect IMO

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I truly hope you are right. Watching Florida collapse and lose will make my summer much more pleasant.

Hopefully, it kicks off a bad year next year for them. 😆

I find that hard to believe, but you never know. Toronto, Tampa Bay and Boston should still all be in the mix. Then Carolina & NYR in Metro. I think NJD finally getting a goalie means they're the 3rd team next year.

Washington probably makes it again with the addition of PLD. He should get top line minutes for them, while in L.A. he was behind Kopitar & Danault. But they're no guarantee.

The 2 wild card spots are open. If Buffalo ever got off their asses and did something like team building they could be in there, too.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
1) What makes you so adamant that he would be here next season if the Habs had drafted him. All signs point towards a favoritism with Philly right there, since the draft day. I bet he would still be in Russia next year instead of us.
What makes you so adamant that he wouldn’t? There are no signs that point to him only wanting to play for Philly.
2) Poor defensive game. Lapointe's quote actually proves it, he said "you live with his mistakes". What that means is that the guy is indeed bad in his zone, but his offensive skill offset this. My, you hope you can coach the guy well because how many forwards in the league are ultimately bad in the POs because they are a defensive liability?

So, well, your "3 points are invalid" are a bit incorrect IMO
You live with his mistakes means it’s tolerable and that it’s not so horrible that it should play a key role in passing up on him like many here claimed. I never said that Lapointe thought he was good defensively. He did like his compete level despite what many here said.

Nothing is incorrect, it’s just more backtracking from posters who can’t admit they were completely wrong and were talking out of their ass. Now the narrative is that Lapointe had to say because he wasn’t going to talk poorly of a player. Really? He’s going to say that he likes his compete level when he actually doesn’t? What’s the point there?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hopefully, it kicks off a bad year next year for them. 😆

I find that hard to believe, but you never know. Toronto, Tampa Bay and Boston should still all be in the mix. Then Carolina & NYR in Metro. I think NJD finally getting a goalie means they're the 3rd team next year.

Washington probably makes it again with the addition of PLD. He should get top line minutes for them, while in L.A. he was behind Kopitar & Danault. But they're no guarantee.

The 2 wild card spots are open. If Buffalo ever got off their asses and did something like team building they could be in there, too.
Good post, one issue I would have is stating that PLD will make a positive impact. He is at best a 60 point player...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good post, one issue I would have is stating that PLD will make a positive impact. He is at best a 60 point player...

Yes, that's what I meant. He should get back to 60 pts to 65 pts.

If Strome can put up his 60 pts still, then they'll have two 60 point centers. He should be more helpful than Kuemper who was backing up Lindgren.

It should keep Washington as a wild card.

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad