HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What if he doesn’t?
Then, we would have been right IF THE IDEA TO NOT PICK HIM WAS BASED ON PURE HOCKEY DECISIONS. If not, we would have been lucky.

Question is this....if the draft is a crapshoot. If scouts and head scouts are always excused 'cause it's the toughest job ever....why do you make a crapshoot OUT OF a crapshoot? Why does needs become your way to pick when usually needds does not equal to worth?

thing is this though....I guess it's about how we analyze things...if Michkov does well....will we say he wouldn't have done it here? But then if he doesn't...we will say how wrong we were? Or for the OTHER camp...if he does well, we will say we were right....while if he doesn't, we will blame it on Flyers development?

Every argument is always based on the position we have at first.

Reactions: ReHabs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Nice galaxy braining here. If Michkov becomes an elite forward for Philadelphia and Reinbacher tops out as a top 4 defenseman for Montreal, there is no alternate reality that justifies the pick of the lesser player at #5. Management will have drop the ball on that one.
There isn't a draft that occurs where a team drafts with every pick the player with the next best career... That just fantasy.

When your frame of reference means that every management team "drops the ball" in every draft, perhaps it's your understanding of the draft is at fault :dunno:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Michkov bros are having a meltdown as expect lmao

8usk0p.jpg

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
There isn't a draft that occurs where a team drafts with every pick the player with the next best career... That just fantasy.

When your frame of reference means that every management team "drops the ball" in every draft, perhaps it's your understanding of the draft is at fault :dunno:
I understand that the draft is there to inject talent into the line up in order to build a competitive team since UFA and trades are not the primary way of building most contending core in this salary cap era.

I think Michkov would have been a better pick than Reinbacher based on the fact that I think, with my limited knowledge of both players, that he will become a better player and thus help us more in the end goal of becoming a competitive team.

Management taught otherwise. If what my dumbass think will happen actually happen, then yes, I will consider that our scouting staff didn't do their job properly.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Nice galaxy braining here. If Michkov becomes an elite forward for Philadelphia and Reinbacher tops out as a top 4 defenseman for Montreal, there is no alternate reality that justifies the pick of the lesser player at #5. Management will have drop the ball on that one.
Habs
Did
Not
Bpa
The rule is always BPA

Hilarious how non risk he was at 7 but hey 2 picks before was an out of touch

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
just gonna say, this has a chance to make this management look really stupid, the entire reason they passed on mitchkov was the contract reasoning mentioned multiple times, and now we took a D in a forward heavy draft, and are gonna be pigeon holed into a forward in a D heavy draft, looking from the outside it looks really foolish but we will wait and see
Blatantly FALSE.
It was one of a number of reasons.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Seems like it played an important role nonetheless.

View attachment 886074
LOL this is one of many quotes we had on the reasoning and yes the unknown scares people get over it.
What happens if you draft the so called BPA but he is disgruntled for what ever reason?
You will end up having to trade him at a discount. The fact that we drafted the way we did showed a concerted effort towards team building.
It's still a long way off before we can determine what was best for us.
Personally I don't think Michkov will come close to the hype he's received but that just me.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
LOL this is one of many quotes we had on the reasoning and yes the unknown scares people get over it.
What happens if you draft the so called BPA but he is disgruntled for what ever reason?
You will end up having to trade him at a discount. The fact that we drafted the way we did showed a concerted effort towards team building.
It's still a long way off before we can determine what was best for us.
Personally I don't think Michkov will come close to the hype he's received but that just me.
You replied to a guy who said the entire reason they passed on Michkov was his contract situation: while I don't think this is the case, I provided a post-draft quote of our director of amateur scouting mentioning his contract situation being a major reason.

Don't understand what you are arguing about honestly. Going off what we can find about what as been said about the choice of Reinbacher over Michkov from our amateur scouting management staff, please provide the humongous list of reasons Michkov was passed over, since you seem to think his contract situation didn't play a major role in all of this.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You replied to a guy who said the entire reason they passed on Michkov was his contract situation: while I don't think this is the case, I provided a post-draft quote of our director of amateur scouting mentioning his contract situation being a major reason.

Don't understand what you are arguing about honestly. Going off what we can find about what as been said about the choice of Reinbacher over Michkov from our amateur scouting management staff, please provide the humongous list of reasons Michkov was passed over, since you seem to think his contract situation didn't play a major role in all of this.
The player was criticized for his attitude towards his team mates he was criticized for his penchant for poaching. he was criticized for his lack of commitment
to the D side of the game. He was also criticized for his skating.
These views were all discussed ad naseum before the draft and once you throw in the unknown and it's easy to see why he dropped.
It also easy to see why we didn't feel like we were in a position to roll the dice.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Then, we would have been right IF THE IDEA TO NOT PICK HIM WAS BASED ON PURE HOCKEY DECISIONS. If not, we would have been lucky.

Question is this....if the draft is a crapshoot. If scouts and head scouts are always excused 'cause it's the toughest job ever....why do you make a crapshoot OUT OF a crapshoot? Why does needs become your way to pick when usually needds does not equal to worth?

thing is this though....I guess it's about how we analyze things...if Michkov does well....will we say he wouldn't have done it here? But then if he doesn't...we will say how wrong we were? Or for the OTHER camp...if he does well, we will say we were right....while if he doesn't, we will blame it on Flyers development?

Every argument is always based on the position we have at first.
You can only measure the value of a decision by the reasoning made from the data that was available at the time of said decision. Everybody has access to the statistical and eye-test data of Michkov. The only data we didnt have was the off-ice/dressing room stuff. What kind of homework did the Habs brass do? Seems like Bobrov had a great pulse on the situation, but how could we be sure?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
UMM We've been through this already there is no need to re post it.
If you were here for the draft discussion last year you wouldn't be questioning what I posted as if it wasn't talked about for hours on end before the draft.
Do you actually think that was the full version and the only reason they didn't draft him or just a stripped down quote for the media.
The internal discussion was far more in depth.
No one believes it was oh this guy is a gazillion miles better than anyone else but we are going to pass because we may not see him for three years and Putin is an asshole.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Sounds to me like they liked the player skillset, but chose to pass on him for external reason, his contract situation with the SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL being the major one.

View attachment 886074
So many unknowns is not "3 years of waiting". 3 years of waiting if one unknown. He's probably referring to the fact his team wanted nothing to do with him despite him being better than 75% of their lineup.

Reactions: Frenchy and Rapala

Ieatsht4brkfst

Mar 22, 2024
UMM We've been through this already there is no need to re post it.
If you were here for the draft discussion last year you wouldn't be questioning what I posted as if it wasn't talked about for hours on end before the draft.
Do you actually think that was the full version and the only reason they didn't draft him or just a stripped down quote for the media.
The internal discussion was far more in depth.
No one believes it was oh this guy is a gazillion miles better than anyone else but we are going to pass because we may not see him for three years and Putin is an asshole.
next time I respond Ill make sure to read through all the pages so I know all the discussions going on so everything I say wont be duplicated or wrong, im such an asshole I know

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
From top to bottom Habs org values the makeup of a player to be handle and thrive in the Mtl market as a very important factor. They all mention it from HuGo, Bobrov, MSL.

Apron Basu has multiple times mentioned how the org did not like Michkov’s lack of 200-ft game compete

NHL teams also do not openly criticize prospects, so everything said in public is tempered

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Should’ve provided the entire quote, what you posted was followed by:

« David, pour nous, était un joueur très important, il coche toutes les cases qu'un défenseur peut amener à une équipe de hockey, il va solidifier notre défensive »

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Habs
Did
Not
Bpa
The rule is always BPA

Hilarious how non risk he was at 7 but hey 2 picks before was an out of touch

"Best" is always going to be subjective.

What any GM & scouting department prioritizes & how they approach assessing prospects, informs whom they select.

That's true for every hockey ops group, from the most effective to the least.

Getting hyper focused on any one draft choice and wether or not it succeeds is a terrible way if evaluating the approach a given management group uses.

Slaf is looking like a brilliant choice. Ditto Beck, Hutson, Konyuskov, Xhekaj, Engstrom and a few others.... Whereas Mesar, not so much.

I would've preferred Michkov to RB, but even if he goes nuclear and RB busts completely, that decision alone wouldn't be a sign that their approach is flawed. The body of work will be far more reflective. It's a given that some selections, including high ones, won't work out as desired... That's the nature of drafting teenagers and projecting the odds of their eventual success.

Reactions: Walrus26

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Sounds to me like they liked the player skillset, but chose to pass on him for external reason, his contract situation with the SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL being the major one.

View attachment 886074
Do you really think they are going to give the real reason they passed on him???? We passed on him because he is not a team player and a cancer.

• Haha
Reactions: ReHabs and the

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Do you really think they are going to give the real reason they passed on him???? We passed on him because he is not a team player and a cancer.
Right, I bet Boston worried sick about Marchand antics when he raised the cup, or Chicago management was punching air because of selfish asshole Kane and his three stanley cup ring lmao.

Luckily for us fan, we picked mr. nice guy Reinbacher. Can't wait to see this guy being the cornerstone of our defensive squad when we finally compete for championships.

Last edited:

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Call me cynical, but I can't really picture a russian hockey team terminating a contract solely on 'compassionate grounds.' Somebody somewhere intervened.

• Haha
Reactions: Shred

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Call me cynical, but I can't really picture a russian hockey team terminating a contract solely on 'compassionate grounds.' Somebody somewhere intervened.
Is it because they're Russian? You think Russians are incapable of compassion and sympathy? I have a word to call you but it isn't cynical.

Not just a cancer, but a straight up bad person. We passed on him because he's evil. His soul is black. He's an agent of satan himself.

Thank you for speaking the hard truths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad