HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I would have rather two picks in top 3 rather than 3 in top 5. We needed a better effort to tank last year, and it isn't due to Michkov.

This year is a bit different. There's a lot of different ways it can go.
I also would've preferred two top-3 picks, but you do the best with what you have. Could we have choreographed the tank any better? Personally I don't think so – it's not like other teams weren't trying to do the same thing as us. In the end, our rebuild handed us opportunities to add three top prospects. Picking 1st, 5th, and 5th could be enough to turn a solid team into a contender if our scouts did a good job. Yeah, you also need some luck, but if we still can't get elite talent after so many years maybe it's more than luck.

Why would it be a huge miss by scouts? Were they supposed to know a contract termination on compassionate grounds was going to happen a year later? The extra three years was a huge factor in the decision-making and nobody could predict this future. It was a calculated gamble by Philly. And I suspect there was some backchannel persuasion given that Philly is a huge beneficiary of this sudden decision.
Michkov playing in the NHL may be happening a year sooner than expected, but no one is shocked he's coming. Montreal chose not to take that gamble. Instead, they took a different gamble on Reinbacher's talent and maturity. We won't know which gamble was better for awhile but, based on the reports of Michkov, the concern is our scouts passed on the type of high-end offensive talent we haven't seen in ages.

Reactions: Canadienna

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I also would've preferred two top-3 picks, but you do the best with what you have. Could we have choreographed the tank any better? Personally I don't think so – it's not like other teams weren't trying to do the same thing as us. In the end, our rebuild handed us opportunities to add three top prospects. Picking 1st, 5th, and 5th could be enough to turn a solid team into a contender if our scouts did a good job. Yeah, you also need some luck, but if we still can't get elite talent after so many years maybe it's more than luck.

Michkov playing in the NHL may be happening a year sooner than expected, but no one is shocked he's coming. Montreal chose not to take that gamble. Instead, they took a different gamble on Reinbacher's talent and maturity. We won't know which gamble was better for awhile but, based on the reports of Michkov, the concern is our scouts passed on the type of high-end offensive talent we haven't seen in ages.
It sounds more to me that Hughes/Gorton made the call for the reasons indicated in the interview (contract + some defensive issues but probably minor compared to contract uncertainty). Probably also some global concerns related to Russia's self-isolation. I would be curious to know who scouts ranked higher excluding contract circumstances and if Hughes/Gorton overruled the rank. Any inside info come out on this side?

Reactions: Lshap

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
My gut says Florida just because i cant see a team losing 4 straight in the Cup Final

Heart goes to Edmonton as it be an amazing comeback something you just want to see because of the rarity. Its once in a life time

Biggest thing. If Edmonton scores first, does FLA have the pyschology to come back from that after already blowing 3 games? They looked in disbelief on Friday.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
My gut says Florida just because i cant see a team losing 4 straight in the Cup Final

Heart goes to Edmonton as it be an amazing comeback something you just want to see because of the rarity. Its once in a life time

Biggest thing. If Edmonton scores first, does FLA have the pyschology to come back from that after already blowing 3 games? They looked in disbelief on Friday.
edm has to score 1st and 2nd, if fla gets 2 on them
fla will smother edm

Reactions: Apoplectic Habs Fan

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Oh, and about the game tonight. I fully expect Florida to fold.

Oilers went down there during the season, and kicked their ass, 6-0, I think.

I'm expecting a 5-1 win for Oilers.

I am going to double down and +1 on your prediction… Oils win 6-1, and McDavid will break Gretzky’s record, being in on all six goals.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It sounds more to me that Hughes/Gorton made the call for the reasons indicated in the interview (contract + some defensive issues but probably minor compared to contract uncertainty). Probably also some global concerns related to Russia's self-isolation. I would be curious to know who scouts ranked higher excluding contract circumstances and if Hughes/Gorton overruled the rank. Any inside info come out on this side?
In the end, the only thing that'll matter is how Reinbacher and Michkov's careers play out. I'll be happy if we get a good defenceman, even if we missed out on a very good winger. Of course, if Michkov becomes a great winger... hmmm....

Reactions: quarter450

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
In the end, the only thing that'll matter is how Reinbacher and Michkov's careers play out. I'll be happy if we get a good defenceman, even if we missed out on a very good winger. Of course, if Michkov becomes a great winger... hmmm....
We still lament the Kostitsyn pick. It's unforgivable if Michkov thrives and Reinbacher disappoints like Kostitsyn or Kotkaniemi did. I don't think it'll be that bad though. Hope springs eternal.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We still lament the Kostitsyn pick. It's unforgivable if Michkov thrives and Reinbacher disappoints like Kostitsyn or Kotkaniemi did. I don't think it'll be that bad though. Hope springs eternal.
It is too difficult for amateur scouts to truly accurately predict how players will turn out. Michkov's talent is undeniable but so much more goes into the vetting process. Nolan Patrick was picked before Cale Makar and Miro Heiskanen. Hard to predict.

This seems like a false narrative that I keep hearing. He has 50 points in 57 games. I've seen way worse.
Yeah because that's the only factor to measure... his lack of grit, his play away from the puck etc play a huge factor.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Hope's been springing for 31 years. I think we've earned some cash back from our loyalty cards.

Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It is too difficult for amateur scouts to truly accurately predict how players will turn out. Michkov's talent is undeniable but so much more goes into the vetting process. Nolan Patrick was picked before Cale Makar and Miro Heiskanen. Hard to predict.
Nolan Patrick had traumatic brain injuries. Not the same as skipping on a sorely needed star forward when your team has sorely needed a star forward for decades.

It would be less unforgivable if they drafted another forward over Michkov and somehow came up short or got it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad