HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
He also mentioned there are two other names in play.

It's going to be the Yeti. People love the campy memey shit right now but later on it will just be normal.

Like we just accept the Flyers as a name.. the Flyers...
Uath Ice would be .. acceptable. Flyers was fine, one syllable, people who fly across the ice..

Don't know why the Utah Hunters didn't make the original poll. Maybe it's a problematic trademark.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This month was the 10th anniversary of Kreider's hit on Price, his peak as NHL's Goalie-Runner. Every single hockey fan knew of his reputation. Back then, he led the league in goalie interference penalties, he steamrolled over Anderson, Rask, Halak, Holtby, a few others. Yes, it's awhile ago, but he singlehandedly shortened Price's career so he earns a lifetime supply of "F*** You".

Yeah, there's certain players that everytime you hear their name, a certain negative memory is always triggered.

With Justin Williams, it's the high stick to koivu's eye... no call and knocking him out of the series.

With Horton, it's the game 7 ot loss in 2011

And with krieider, it's him sliding into carey price feet first. The only thing that provides me comfort about 2014 is that I'm fairly confident that the Habs wouldn't do much more than make the finals if price was healthy, but it still feels like a punch in the gut when I see his face.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That was frantic and awesome

Big 3-2 lead going back to Edm
Can they pull it off?
I would love to see Mcd and Drai in a Final
We can also include Nugent-Hopkins. This is the best I've ever seen him play in the post season.
I said as much a number of games ago. He's given Edmonton a three-headed monster with his play making abiities. Once you add in Bouchard and Hyman any half decent goaltending was always going to bring them a long way. I felt they could have beat Vegas last year but Skinner put up worse numbers than Mike Smith did in preceding post seasons. There is no doubt they are better this year.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
That was frantic and awesome

Big 3-2 lead going back to Edm
Can they pull it off?
I would love to see Mcd and Drai in a Final

Same here. I honestly could care less about “Go Canada” and shit. I just think those two deserve it for all the crap they’ve dealt with for the questionable team building.

While there are elements on their d-core that are meh to below meh and the adventures with Skinner, as a team, I am really impressed with their defence. Dallas could certainly do better to impose their will but credit to Edmonton for smothering all three teams they’ve faced so far.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Skinner is playing well now while Pavelski and Duchene can't produce. Mr pro golf with 1g 4 pts in 18gp yikes

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Same here. I honestly could care less about “Go Canada” and shit. I just think those two deserve it for all the crap they’ve dealt with for the questionable team building.

While there are elements on their d-core that are meh to below meh and the adventures with Skinner, as a team, I am really impressed with their defence. Dallas could certainly do better to impose their will but credit to Edmonton for smothering all three teams they’ve faced so far.

I don't think the oilers have any choice but to insulate their goalie with a sound defense.

Run and gun usually isn't a recipe for playoff success and nobody would feel comfortable trading chances if your last line of defense is skinner.

They have shown the ability to play a defensive structure, and I am impressed with it. I still question them in terms of playing with the lead at times. When an opportunity ends up in the back of their net, they seem to unravel very quickly.

But you know what, they are 5 wins away and they have already guaranteed that this series will have to go 7 games for them to be knocked out.

The way they have shown themselves in this run, I can actually look past their roster on defense, and say that their only significant weakness is in goal.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
We can also include Nugent-Hopkins. This is the best I've ever seen him play in the post season.
I said as much a number of games ago. He's given Edmonton a three-headed monster with his play making abiities. Once you add in Bouchard and Hyman any half decent goaltending was always going to bring them a long way. I felt they could have beat Vegas last year but Skinner put up worse numbers than Mike Smith did in preceding post seasons. There is no doubt they are better this year.
And people say coaching makes no difference. Oil turn it so around once Knob took rains. They are winning despite having shittier than shitty defence and Skinner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

WG

Sep 9, 2008

I struggle with Edmonton. I look at years of massive incompetence allowing them to fall ass-first into getting Drai and McD and it seems wrong to achieve success by allowing an old boys club with no clue just run the team into the ground until you finally land not one but two foundational players.

It probably doesn't help that I find some of their fanbase here to be amongst the most obnoxious to engage with. I recognize that users here don't speak for nor reflect the wider fanbase but it's what I have. I'm on the east coast so not a lot of Edm fans to see in person.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I don't think the oilers have any choice but to insulate their goalie with a sound defense.

Run and gun usually isn't a recipe for playoff success and nobody would feel comfortable trading chances if your last line of defense is skinner.

They have shown the ability to play a defensive structure, and I am impressed with it. I still question them in terms of playing with the lead at times. When an opportunity ends up in the back of their net, they seem to unravel very quickly.

But you know what, they are 5 wins away and they have already guaranteed that this series will have to go 7 games for them to be knocked out.

The way they have shown themselves in this run, I can actually look past their roster on defense, and say that their only significant weakness is in goal.

I thought the same. This reminds me back when I coached minor hockey and our goalie wasn’t even a goalie but a kid who volunteered because nobody else would. Not his fault, but basically any shot within 10 feet was going in.

We coached the kids to basically play keep away. If you don’t have the puck, just hound the puck carrier.

Did it work? Well, we lost 14 games during the season. However, there was only 16 games lol. However, now we’re discussing NHL caliber players. If they can play keep away long enough for Skinner to get into his game, Edmonton has a chance to win.

I struggle with Edmonton. I look at years of massive incompetence allowing them to fall ass-first into getting Drai and McD and it seems wrong to achieve success by allowing an old boys club with no clue just run the team into the ground until you finally land not one but two foundational players.

It probably doesn't help that I find some of their fanbase here to be amongst the most obnoxious to engage with. I recognize that users here don't speak for nor reflect the wider fanbase but it's what I have. I'm on the east coast so not a lot of Edm fans to see in person.

This is fair. I do tend to ignore the fans, sorta like how I do with Toronto. The flipside is Edmonton doesn’t have the national exposure like Toronto, so I’m not as annoyed with the team because of their fans.

As for the massive incompetence and old boys club, also true. That said, while some players like Bouchard, Hymen and a few others are playing amazing, it’s really incredible just how the two best players in the world are just willing their team this far.

Reactions: Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Rangers fans are not happy with him, they should have got Eichel when he was available.
He's lifeless and is nowhere to be found. Suzuki has less points in our Finals run but he was making an impact in pretty much every game.

Man the Rangers PK is extremely passive compared to the Oilers PK. Florida will definitely have a harder time against them.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You think a guy who never did 50 points will get 8 millions because of two playoffs run?

He'll get something similar to Cirelli + inflation so around 7 millions. I would not give him that personally but a GM probably will.
I was going to say 7, but the cap is likely to go up again and probably a decent number, so someone will pay him.

You also have to take into consideration all the other things he does. He can fight, hit, he's a pest, can somewhat play both ends of the ice.

People love that shit, mainly because you sometimes need 2, or 3 players just to get all that.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I was going to say 7, but the cap is likely to go up again and probably a decent number, so someone will pay him.

You also have to take into consideration all the other things he does. He can fight, hit, he's a pest, can somewhat play both ends of the ice.

People love that shit, mainly because you sometimes need 2, or 3 players just to get all that.
On a short 4-5 years term yeah maybe but 7 years i doubt. Assuming 7 years he'll be 35 at the end of this contract 8 millions would age badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad