HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Good, McDavid will top him. While we locking up our stars under 8 million.
none of those Habs players had any contractual leverage - MB also locked up Pacioretty, Price, Gallagher to sweetheart 2nd & 3rd contract deals … but when Price & Gallagher forego UFA deals came up…..

With Utah revenues kicking in this season, cap ceiling will skyrocket past $100M, granted McDavid & Draisaitl will consume 25% minimum of team AAV

I also expect next CBA (2026) to Include franchise player out clause like NBA + 2-additional expansion teams (Houston + Atlanta)

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
14 million really puts the Canadiens salary structure into perspective. It’ll be important to continue locking up young talent at reasonable numbers that allow for a balanced lineup.
I have a feeling Bouch goes over 10 as well.

If McDavid goes for 16, and we somehow resign Laine for 7ish (hoping he plays to that), we will have 4 players (Suzuki, Cole, Slaf, Laine) making what two of their guys make. I'd take our four all day everyday over their two.

I love our build!

• Haha
Reactions: nerevarine

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
14 million really puts the Canadiens salary structure into perspective. It’ll be important to continue locking up young talent at reasonable numbers that allow for a balanced lineup.
And do it before the cap raise.

COVID and then Arizona playing in a ECHL arena prevented the cap from raison too much but i would expect a correction to happen in the next 2 years with Chicago and SJ rebuild getting close to an end and Utah joining the league and Columbus fans should be behind their team 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Save 1 million on every top player gives us room for extra star. When we in cup contention

Reactions: bsl

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Five 100 points seasons. Will probably had 1 or 2 before slowing down. How many players in NHL history had 6+?

I think the answer is 16 in total. Bossy, Crosby, Dionne, Esposito, Gretzky, Hawerchuk, Kurri, Lafleur, Lemieux, McDavid, Messier, Orr, Sakic, Stastny, Trottier, and Yzerman.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Reactions: Wats

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Attachments

• R.gif
    R.gif
    445.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: nhlfan9191

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
More like approaching 2/3 as productive and his points are increasing every year on a bad team. It will likely be 90-100 pts vs 130 for McDavid in a year or 2.
McDavid scored at a 142pts/season pace last year with a caphit of 12.5m
Suzuki scored 77pts/season pace last year with a caphit of 7.875m

As of writing, Nick Suzuki is 1/2 as productive as McDavid at 2/3rd the cap hit. He's not remotely close to 2/3rd as productive as McDavid. (c. 93-102 pts).

You tend to be very optimistic about the Habs and that's fine, but there's nothing to say McDavid will suddenly start to score 10-20pts a season less and Suzuki will suddenly score 15-25pts a season more. It's not even-handed, it reads like homerism.

Reactions: Devonator and Wats

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Draisital (I probably just butchered his name) and his new contract is why Edmonton or Toronto won't win cups. Greed. The Habs are doing it right and where everyone will have a fair contract that allows the team to ice 4 good forward lines, 3 good defense pairings and 2 good goalies.

Edmonton and Toronto will have great top lines... and scraps to fill out their rosters.

• Haha
Reactions: nerevarine

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
McDavid scored at a 142pts/season pace last year with a caphit of 12.5m
Suzuki scored 77pts/season pace last year with a caphit of 7.875m

As of writing, Nick Suzuki is 1/2 as productive as McDavid at 2/3rd the cap hit. He's not remotely close to 2/3rd as productive as McDavid. (c. 93-102 pts).

You tend to be very optimistic about the Habs and that's fine, but there's nothing to say McDavid will suddenly start to score 10-20pts a season less and Suzuki will suddenly score 15-25pts a season more. It's not even-handed, it reads like homerism.
I didn't realize McDavid missed games last season. So he will likely be 140 pter for the next few years. Suzuki's point totals have increased every year on a terrible to bad team. McDavid is playing with far better better players on his line and the PP. There is every reason to expect Suzuki to approach 90+ points as the defense improves significantly and there is 2 lines and soon 3 lines to contend with. There is NO homerism involved.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Draisital (I probably just butchered his name) and his new contract is why Edmonton or Toronto won't win cups. Greed. The Habs are doing it right and where everyone will have a fair contract that allows the team to ice 4 good forward lines, 3 good defense pairings and 2 good goalies.

Edmonton and Toronto will have great top lines... and scraps to fill out their rosters.
Drai, mcdavid, and to a lesser extent Matthew’s are superstars and are paid fairly for what they bring

Our team cap structure is different than the oilers or the leafs not because we drafted altruistic players willing to sign for less but because we are a team devoid of superstars

Suzuki signed for 7.9 m when he had a career high of 61 points for 9.7% of the cap at the time

I would take mcdavid and drai over Suzuki, dach, caufield and slaf easily

I didn't realize McDavid missed games last season. So he will likely be 140 pter for the next few years. Suzuki's point totals have increased every year on a terrible to bad team. McDavid is playing with far better better players on his line and the PP. There is every reason to expect Suzuki to approach 90+ points as the defense improves significantly and there is 2 lines and soon 3 lines to contend with. There is NO homerism involved.
There is no realistic conversation where we are comparing mcdavid and suzuki
Christ

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Drai, mcdavid, and to a lesser extent Matthew’s are superstars and are paid fairly for what they bring

Our team cap structure is different than the oilers or the leafs not because we drafted altruistic players willing to sign for less but because we are a team devoid of superstars

Suzuki signed for 7.9 m when he had a career high of 61 points for 9.7% of the cap at the time

There is no realistic conversation where we are comparing mcdavid and suzuki
Christ
It comes down to how you structure your team. Sometimes it’s better to have a less offensive, more complete player at $8 million then an offensive giant at $14 million. Boston is a team that I can think of that’s done this well in the cap era. Teams in the playoffs have a better chance of shutting down a top heavy offensive team then they do a team that’s well balanced. Toronto is the best example of that. We’re never going to be able to build a team like Tampa/Vegas/Florida, etc because we’re a Canadian team and we can’t get top talent for a discount so depth is going to be important.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

We're at a different stage than the Oilers. Let's see what Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky and Ghule ask for on their next contracts.

Reactions: Habs13

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It comes down to how you structure your team. Sometimes it’s better to have a less offensive, more complete player at $8 million then an offensive giant at $14 million. Boston is a team that I can think of that’s done this well in the cap era. Teams in the playoffs have a better chance of shutting down a top heavy offensive team then they do a team that’s well balanced. Toronto is the best example of that. We’re never going to be able to build a team like Tampa/Vegas/Florida, etc because we’re a Canadian team and we can’t get top talent for a discount so depth is going to be important.
LA is another good example of a team that had a good cap structure. The Carter and Richards deals did help though.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

The problem the Oilers will have is to surround their big two. Whoever you surround McDrai with will have a certain succes like Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Sheary,Rust, etc. with Pittsburgh, Bowman will have to avoid to pay big long term contracts to mediocre players who will get their stats inflated.

Reactions: bsl

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Holloway just said that he feels like the whole situation with the Oilers was bizarre. He said he wanted to stay with them for a long time and they never communicated with him. So he signed an oversheet thinking they would match cause it wasn't a big number and they didn't. He said he is happy being with the Blues but his main goal was to be an Oiler.

He really seem to having been caught off guard by the whole thing.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Holloway just said that he feels like the whole situation with the Oilers was bizarre. He said he wanted to stay with them for a long time and they never communicated with him. So he signed with oversheet thinking they would match cause it wasn't a big number and they didn't. He said he is happy being with the Blues but his main goal was to be an Oiler.
Sounds like the Bergy clone Bowman.

Reactions: Kimota

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad