HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Holloway just said that he feels like the whole situation with the Oilers was bizarre. He said he wanted to stay with them for a long time and they never communicated with him. So he signed an oversheet thinking they would match cause it wasn't a big number and they didn't. He said he is happy being with the Blues but his main goal was to be an Oiler.

He really seem to having been caught off guard by the whole thing.
Doubt they could match. Oilers hard against cap now with 4 big increases next 2 summers. Drai, McDavid, Bouchard, Skinner. Roughly 16 million in increases. Podkolzin probably give them what Holloway would at fraction of caphit.

Cap is 88m this season. I think cap be around 96-97 by then. Around 9 million increases. They going to be in tough. Oilers farm system is bare. They traded a lot of high draft picks last 3 years. No good young cheap players on the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Seems like even worse than a Bergevin thing. Cause at that price Bergy would have matched. The Oilers do not have a lot of talented young prospects as forwards. I just don't understand it.
Yes I expect Bergy would have matched. 2 years at 2.3 mil. Makes absolutely no sense not to match. If it was a long term deal more thought would be needed.

Reactions: Kimota

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
McDavid and Draisaitl deserve to make a combined 30M. They already proved to be monsters in both in-season and playoffs. If they don't win the cup, it's because the management sucks, 2 of the top 5 players in the world should be highly paid.

None of the Habs 8M guys sniff anywhere close to what both those guys have done and will never come close (nothing wrong with that). These are one of a kind players who with Mackinnon, Kucherov, etc define this era.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
1725517604854.png

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Doubt they could match. Oilers hard against cap now with 4 big increases next 2 summers. Drai, McDavid, Bouchard, Skinner. Roughly 16 million in increases. Podkolzin probably give them what Holloway would at fraction of caphit.

Cap is 88m this season. I think cap be around 96-97 by then. Around 9 million increases. They going to be in tough. Oilers farm system is bare. They traded a lot of high draft picks last 3 years. No good young cheap players on the way.
It's not a recipe for success.
Looking at last season I don't see an easy solution with two boat anchors that are still under contract there.
The Oilers took it right up the chute with those offer sheets.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
McDavid and Draisaitl deserve to make a combined 30M. They already proved to be monsters in both in-season and playoffs. If they don't win the cup, it's because the management sucks, 2 of the top 5 players in the world should be highly paid.

None of the Habs 8M guys sniff anywhere close to what both those guys have done and will never come close (nothing wrong with that). These are one of a kind players who with Mackinnon, Kucherov, etc define this era.
Well so far a couple of our top guys are dead even with a couple of their top guys for SCF's. :P

Reactions: LV426 and Wats

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Don't forget that Oilers curently have a lower cap because of buyouts.

They'll gain 1.5 millions in cap for the 2027-2028 season and 3 millions in cap for the 2028-29 season. Bouchard remains RFA until 2028. Yes an OS could be made but Bouchard wont accept a 2 years x 4-6 millions offer sheet he'll sign with Edmonton instead so the OS will need to be 7+ for 4-5 years minimum and the compensation will be more significant than Broberg and Holloway. Edmonton should remain a great destination for middling UFAs looking to increase their value on a short term deal like Arvidsson and Skinner.

Reactions: Yep and bsl

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
And do it before the cap raise.

COVID and then Arizona playing in a ECHL arena prevented the cap from raison too much but i would expect a correction to happen in the next 2 years with Chicago and SJ rebuild getting close to an end and Utah joining the league and Columbus fans should be behind their team 100%.
Hugo are being smart. Dangle ‘big’ money early to a kid for 8 years. They’ll grab it. And should. Save up for a monster ufa sigining when actually contending.

Deux de Coeurs

May 6, 2024

Feels like the whole offer sheet situation gave Bowman the opportunity to make sideway moves to "put a stamp" on the team. I was waiting for the other defenseman to come but seems like the guy is Emberson.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

That is pretty sad.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Feels like the whole offer sheet situation gave Bowman the opportunity to make sideway moves to "put a stamp" on the team. I was waiting for the other defenseman to come but seems like the guy is Emberson.
He's got 12 million in increases coming next summer. If he keeps Bouchard. Likely will. Cap only going up 4 million or so. Couple big cuts coming somewhere.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The cup window with this core + a good add or 2 is say 6 years. Who cares about their next contracts. Hugo have been smart on this.
True, all I was saying is you can't compare the two teams situations. We're just starting to come out of our rebuild. While the Oilers are Cup contenders. Let's see how the team's cap situation looks when we are Cup contenders.

Reactions: Runner77 and ReHabs

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Nikolai Kulemin is headed to OTT on a PTO. He's 38 and has not played in the show since 2018. He was a bit over 0.5 PPG last season the KHL.

He has the best agent in the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad