Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I'm starting to really like Jeff Blashill. He's developed some great talent in the Red Wings organization and brings a winning mentality with him. He is also described as a Babcock 2.0. He's going to be a great coach in the NHL

I'd like him a lot if we could snag him from Detroit.

First i would guess he would replace Babcock if he left.

It also appears he has been approched before and turned it down to stay with his AHL team.

Then again if Babcock stays and signs long term it might change things for him and his family.

Blashill’s name had been mentioned with NHL coaching openings the past two seasons. But Blashill said he is in no hurry to move on.

“I’m a Michigan guy,” said Blashill, who lives in East Grand Rapids with his wife and three children, ages 3 to 8. “My family lives in West Michigan between Big Rapids and Traverse City. My wife is from the Detroit area. I love Grand Rapids. I think it is one of the nicest cities in America.

“I am extremely cognizant that I live in a great place. I work in a great place and work for great people in a great organization. I’m not in any rush to leave a great situation.

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2014/06/griffins_coach_jeff_blashill_e_1.html

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
So there are now rumblings that if STL goes out this series, which is very likely from the looks of it, that Hitch is out. The fact that they haven't made a contract extension yet also is an indicator he could be gone so add his name to the list of potential candidates. Not sure he's the guy I would want running the team but he's no Carlyle :laugh:

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So there are now rumblings that if STL goes out this series, which is very likely from the looks of it, that Hitch is out. The fact that they haven't made a contract extension yet also is an indicator he could be gone so add his name to the list of potential candidates. Not sure he's the guy I would want running the team but he's no Carlyle :laugh:

I would absolutely love to get Hitch, Blashill is still my top choice though. I have trying to been start the Blashill bandwagon for months.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would absolutely love to get Hitch, Blashill is still my top choice though. I have trying to been start the Blashill bandwagon for months.

Like the post above said, he's probably earmarked for the Detroit job if Babcock leaves. If he doesn't then who knows.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Seems unlikely for Blashill from everything I've seen and read. He'd be fantastic and given the way our organization is run, very professional and stable like Detroit, I think he'd fit in well. Whether or not he wants to leave is very tough to tell. I suppose it will depend very heavily on whether or not Babcock stays or goes.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Seems unlikely for Blashill from everything I've seen and read. He'd be fantastic and given the way our organization is run, very professional and stable like Detroit, I think he'd fit in well. Whether or not he wants to leave is very tough to tell. I suppose it will depend very heavily on whether or not Babcock stays or goes.

I still can't see Babcock leaving, he is the Detroit Redwings. It just wouldn't seem right.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Like the post above said, he's probably earmarked for the Detroit job if Babcock leaves. If he doesn't then who knows.

That would be my impression, which is why I don't think it's much more likely that he comes here than Babcock, but if he came, I'd be happy.

My biggest and most realistic dream right now is probably Hitchcock.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I'm pretty sure this is why Lou is just waiting for now. He knows more names will be added to the unemployment line as the playoffs continue and end.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah it'd be pretty irresponsbile of any team to fill their vacancies before the Babcock/Julien situations get sorted out. Even though we're not likely getting either it could also cause more openings once that gets done.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Ya if Oates or Stevens was option one he would of just done it already. That's my guess anyway.

I think you're probably right. I do hope Steven stays on as an assistant defense coach, though. Oates can pack his bags for all I care, but I wouldn't mind Steven sticking around even if I'd be nervous about having him as head coach with so little experience, and it being awkward to fire a former franchise player.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think you're probably right. I do hope Steven stays on as an assistant defense coach, though. Oates can pack his bags for all I care, but I wouldn't mind Steven sticking around even if I'd be nervous about having him as head coach with so little experience, and it being awkward to fire a former franchise player.

I think keeping Stevens is more important to Lou then Oates...but that is just a hunch.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
no oatsie im all about the bab train, but i dont think it wil lever happen.

I'd want Babcock the most, but I don't see any reason for him to jump from Detroit to New Jersey at this point. I think if he leaves Detroit (and I'm not sure he will), it will be for greener pastures than New Jersey. If Detroit isn't competitive enough for him, I don't see how New Jersey would be. Now if Babcock does come here, I'll throw him a welcome party myself (that he won't know about and won't attend, but I'll host it anyway), but I just don't see any realistic scenario where it happens, unfortunately.

Right now, my biggest realistic hope is that Hitchcock comes here if he gets the pink slip in St. Louis.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Has Hitchcock been fired yet?:sarcasm:

I thought maybe they made the announcement in his post game presser.:laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think a lot of potential coaches have a lot more respect for our organization and Lou himself that they would definitely come here.

They definitely respect Lou more then some of our posters here, so I don't think we will be the stinky kid in class like some think.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The irony is I'm far less worried about Hitch's horrible playoff record post-lockout (10-25) than I was Lemaire's when we brought him back because of the position we're in right now, it's not really a big deal atm. If anything we kind of need a guy like him to get the D in shape and play a defensive style with the talent we have too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Did we interview Hitchcock the Summer we hired DeBoer?

There were rumors, might have been some Eklund crap though.

I don't think we did, or Hitch just wouldn't say we did.

He was interviewed that season during a game we played them. TG had an article with him, where he stated that not many teams called him and he thought his time coaching in the NHL was done. He mentioned that he thought maybe he was too old and they were going for younger coaches now. Then the Blues hired him like a month or less into the season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The irony is I'm far less worried about Hitch's horrible playoff record post-lockout (10-25) than I was Lemaire's when we brought him back because of the position we're in right now, it's not really a big deal atm. If anything we kind of need a guy like him to get the D in shape and play a defensive style with the talent we have too.

And like I've said 8000000000000000 times already, we actually have a REAL and established NHL goaltender. Hitchcock hasn't had one in an eternity. Halak was probably the second best goaltender he ever had in the NHL, not even kidding.

Nothing but rookies like Mason and Allen, and backups like Elliot, no name's like the Flyers tandems. Cechnamaniac, Bob Resche, Antipasto Teriyaki.

Gimme a break.:laugh:

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Bring in Ken Hitchcock for a few years to groom Stevens. Hitchcock is getting up there with age.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Bring in Ken Hitchcock for a few years to groom Stevens. Hitchcock is getting up there with age.

I like the idea.

Choke jobs aside hitch is a very good coach and knows his ****. Definitely see him as a guy that would be fine with Stevens staying as an assistant too (and Stevens being cool with it too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad