Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd rather get someone more established than Nolan. Not that Nolan isn't established, but he doesn't have as much experience in the league as it seems. He's disappeared and came back twice.

Couldn't be worse than DeBoer or Oates though.

Didn't he get a 7 game winning streak out of that lineup this year? Wasn't there even a stretch where they won like 12 of 14 or something?:laugh:

That's probably what got Nolan fired. They came dangerously close to finishing in second to last. Only 2 points behind Arizona.:laugh:

He even called the team out when they were outshot like 50-13 a couple times.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it's kind of funny that Buffalo put together a ****** roster, fired Nolan for doing exactly what they wanted to do by finishing last, and they didn't win the lottery.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The problem with Nolan is he never seems to get along with anyone he works for. He had issues in Buffalo with Muckler and Hasek, had issues with the Isles and got fired there despite a decent record, and had issues with Murray (albeit he was probably justified in that). At some point he is what he is, a guy who you don't mind coaching ECHL talent for a while, he'll get the most out of that kind of group but a bit of a loose cannon to rely on when you're really ready to win.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Ted Nolan definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but he wouldn't be my worst fear. Sadly, I don't expect a coaching change to fix too much of anything with this team.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Coaching has not been the problem the last few years. It hasn't been perfect, but it also hasn't been what sank us. Player personnel has.

Yeah, I mean I think Pete needed to go, and some good has come from him being shown the door, but the biggest problem definitely isn't with coaching. It's with the roster. Hopefully some improvements can be made on the roster this off-season.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Coaching has not been the problem the last few years. It hasn't been perfect, but it also hasn't been what sank us. Player personnel has.

My only serious problem with Pete was that his coaching was exacerbating the personnel problem. His sink or swim approach to the kids combined with his blatant double-standard for vets made the personnel issues much worse than they should have been.

Under the Hydra the coaching may not be better, but the approach to the kids is much more positive. In the end the only way to ever turn this around is to develop a new generation of great Devils players.

...which is why I would love to see Renney as the next head coach.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

It has been mediocre at best. Pete has had 1 year in the playoffs ever in the NHL. He is a mediocre coach to me. He has a good system but simply can't adjust it to his team. That was his biggest problem by a country mile.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Coaching was the problem in that the personnel did not fit PDB's system and he was not the kind of coach who could adapt to his roster. 50/50 is how I see it. I liked PDB as a person and he had some strengths but he was not the right coach for this roster moving forward. Not sure if anyone saw Julien's comments earlier today but when asked about his current situation he said "life goes on". Doesn't sound like he's staying in Boston. I wonder if Lou will give him another chance or if he would want one for that matter.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
DeBoer sucks and isn't an NHL head coach IMO.

I can't blame him for not taking this year's team to the playoffs, it looked like it could have made the playoffs coming into the year. I just didn't think Havlat or Ryder would completely drop off the face of the earth (I thought Ryder would bounce back but not Zubrus) and that Elias would drop off the way he did.

I also didn't think we'd go from allowing 24 or 25 shots per game to 31 shots per game. That was something that even the new guys couldn't change.

His handling of the young players was atrocious. One of the things I didn't blame him for before this year was our shootout record and pathetic shooting percentage in it.

After going 3-1 with the new guys, I think he was a BIG part of the shootout woes. Mostly because he couldn't pick a shootout lineup to save his life and kept going with guys like Henrique, Zajac, and Jagr CONSTANTLY. Despite the fact that these guys couldn't get it done.

I said in the last game he coached for us (when he used Henrique as the third shooter?) that using Henrique over almost anybody at this point is a FIREABLE offense. Dude is 1 for 12 or 1 for 13 or something career. Not to mention 0 for 2 on in game penalty shots.

DeBoer is NOT an NHL head coach IMO and I will take that to the grave, until he proves me differently. I don't think he will though.

Oates is not an NHL head coach either IMO, but not because of anything he did with us. Pretty much because of what he did in Washington, it was a disaster.

I don't blame hydra for playing Tootoo and Bernier in the top 6. I absolutely do blame them for the overusage of Zubrus and in the top 9 and Oates for his shunning of Jagr. Even DeBoer took Zubrus out of the top 6/9 faster than the new guys did. It took him faster to realize how terrible Zubrus is. The ***** for Fraser was another puzzler. I think the reason we saw Tootoo and Bernier in the top 6 so much was because it was more of a message to the two useless sacks of scratch (literally scratch) in Ryder and Havlat. Not that I think either of them were worse than Zubrus though.

And I do blame Foligno for those games where we sometimes gave up multiple PP goals every game for the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season until Salvador went down. Playing Greene on the wrong side and not making a change until Salvador was injured. Terrible and irresponsible coaching from Foligno. Insanity at it's finest.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just really have a gut feeling Lou is going to go hard to bring julien back

See ya later Gomer.:sarcasm:

But was Julien actually fired yet? Did I miss something? Or is it just speculation that he will be let go by the new regime in Boston?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not fired yet. But he's totally getting fired. I think.

I still think it's stupid that we (allegedly or possibly) fired him to appease a couple of dudes who were out the door in a couple years, even a couple months for one of them.

There's like two players on the team left from that incident.

3 if we bring Gomez back and 4 if we sign Oduya.

Just Elias, who was even given the captaincy by Claude. And Zajac, who was a rookie at that time.

I guess we can also count 5 if we bring back that hack Fraser.:cry:

He played a few games that year under Julien.:laugh:

So did a couple other of our now AHL fodder guys in Pelley and Janssen.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I just really have a gut feeling Lou is going to go hard to bring julien back

Why would he come back after what Lou did to him? Pretty sure there are going to be lots of teams looking at Julien as their next coach.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We'd have to 'trade' for Julien anyway now that the NHL requires compensation for hiring execs before their contract runs out (even fired ones). So that's one more reason he won't be back.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
So hypothetically would Boston stand in Julien's way if he got fired and for some reason this is where he wanted to go (or anywhere he ends up if fired)

I highly doubt it. If a team did it they would hurt their chances of getting another coach. Plus I am pretty sure if a coach get hired the team that fired him doesn't have to pay the contract anymore.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah probably depends how much money/term coaches have left on their contract. If Julien had two/three years left on his deal and got canned I doubt Boston would force the issue on a third-round pick since they'd rather just get out of paying that money.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We should be the one's compensating another team to pick up Pete.

''Here you go guys, here's a 5th round pick for your troubles. Thanks for picking up the tab so we don't have to pay this guy. Maybe your own 5th round pick will be better than the one we give you, after you hire Pete as your head coach''.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm starting to really like Jeff Blashill. He's developed some great talent in the Red Wings organization and brings a winning mentality with him. He is also described as a Babcock 2.0. He's going to be a great coach in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad