Ottawa 67s 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Anyone else noticed how out of it Horner has been the last few games he’s not a 2L RW unfortunately, end the experiment

I was thinking the same thing tonight. But, not just thornier. I was thinking tonight that half the teams seems listless. Seems like Pinelli, Foster, Barlas, and Gerrior have been pushing hard but there doesnt’ seem to be a consistent level of heart from half the team.

Vector Calculus

Sep 20, 2024
I was thinking the same thing tonight. But, not just thornier. I was thinking tonight that half the teams seems listless. Seems like Pinelli, Foster, Barlas, and Gerrior have been pushing hard but there doesnt’ seem to be a consistent level of heart from half the team.
I think Ekberg looks good. Houben is trying things…there is a skill cap there (especially with skating) but you can really see him trying to be what the coaches are asking him to be, and finishing more checks. Amidovski and Kelly were barely on the ice and didn’t do anything much when they were.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Ekberg looks good. Houben is trying things…there is a skill cap there (especially with skating) but you can really see him trying to be what the coaches are asking him to be, and finishing more checks. Amidovski and Kelly were barely on the ice and didn’t do anything much when they were.
I always give a straight up pass to first rounders through the first half. So often they are mostly like fish out of water. Then, int he 2nd half, they start to turn it on. I am not worried about Amidovski long term. Kelly on the other hand is almost dead weight now. He was better as a 16 year old than he’s been as an 18 year old.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
If our main complaint is we suffer now from not playing Whitehead enough last season then so be it. I’ll take that negative.
My issues with handling the rookies really have little to do with Whitehead. His experience playing has been very limited, so it's hard to tell, same for Hilton, Yanni, Dietsch et al. My concerns started with Nelson and extend to why rookies like Brady last year and Amidovski this season get the splinter treatment. TBH, only Körbler got any meaningful ice as a rookie last year. This year, it's Ekberg and Eshkawkogan, but they are producing.

Ottawa is a disciplined team that can score well on the PP, but can't kill a penalty to save their lives. We score 1 PP goal a game, but give up 2. Nine games into the year, it's time for the coaches to show up.

Glad to see Sirman wind up with the Charlottetown Potatoes ... er Islanders. Love that Red Shores Complex.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Horner is 2L RW until they make a decision on Stonehouse and or Korbler gets back.

If/when we have moved past the point where we have the goal to compete with the Conference leaders, we then move into the territory of making player development the priority. The lines will be constructed to maximize the ability to develop our younger players. Players like Horner would then become protection devices. It is not like Horner is going to help a young forward get better. I like Horner but that is not his role. So, if his role is to go crash and bang things and step up when things get out of hand and he isn’t doing those things, there is no reason to have him participate in the development of the younger players.

Don’t get it twisted though. Although I think we should be at that point now, I understand why the management and coaches still believe this team can compete at the top of the Conference. They are paid to compete so I want them to keep pushing until the writing is on the wall. I think that point comes for them around December 1.

When that point comes, I think Boyd needs to go to the graduating players and let them know the plan and that is when you give those players an opportunity to either participate in the retool/refocused strategy or see if they’d prefer an opportunity on another team to try to win a Championship.

For those of you that may think next year would be a better year to do a sell off, keep in mind that if Mews ends up traded because of his desire to not be here, we won’t really have anything of value to sell. I like Marrelli but he really isn’t of significant value. Foster as an OA isn’t worth much (2nd x2 + 3rd) and that is if he actually returns. It is not like we will have an opportunity to add a key young player in any deals next year. This year, we have three players that could return very attractive assets (Mews, Pinelli, and Foster).

We will see how the next month goes, but if the next month goes how I think it will, I think our conversations will shift.

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
My issues with handling the rookies really have little to do with Whitehead. His experience playing has been very limited, so it's hard to tell, same for Hilton, Yanni, Dietsch et al. My concerns started with Nelson and extend to why rookies like Brady last year and Amidovski this season get the splinter treatment. TBH, only Körbler got any meaningful ice as a rookie last year. This year, it's Ekberg and Eshkawkogan, but they are producing.

Ottawa is a disciplined team that can score well on the PP, but can't kill a penalty to save their lives. We score 1 PP goal a game, but give up 2. Nine games into the year, it's time for the coaches to show up.

Glad to see Sirman wind up with the Charlottetown Potatoes ... er Islanders. Love that Red Shores Complex.
Yeah agreed great that they found him a place to play! Good character kid.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Fun fact: 67's lost six straight without Körbler. With Körbler they won 3 out of 4 despite him not scoring a single point.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Fun fact: 67's lost six straight without Körbler. With Körbler they won 3 out of 4 despite him not scoring a single point.
LOL. Fun fact indeed! It could be that or it could be that Dietsch is the reason for all the losses. They haven’t won a game since he joined the team from injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad