Ottawa 67s 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

gadder

Oct 15, 2023
Hmmm... hope this is not a prelude for this team. We looked decent for about a period, then ran into penalty trouble. Someone said 'our veterans need to lead': yeah but not with penalties
- No Nelson, no Korbler. Rumor has flu is rampant.
- 1st line was our best players: Eckberg, Foster, Pinneli. Alas: no sudden flashes of chemistry (ala Locke/Foy/Shepherd) . Maybe give it time.
- I thought Mayich was our orneriest player and I like him that way. Keep jawing at the opposition, keep smashing 'em.

Vector Calculus

Sep 20, 2024
Hmmm... hope this is not a prelude for this team. We looked decent for about a period, then ran into penalty trouble. Someone said 'our veterans need to lead': yeah but not with penalties
- No Nelson, no Korbler. Rumor has flu is rampant.
- 1st line was our best players: Eckberg, Foster, Pinneli. Alas: no sudden flashes of chemistry (ala Locke/Foy/Shepherd) . Maybe give it time.
- I thought Mayich was our orneriest player and I like him that way. Keep jawing at the opposition, keep smashing 'em.
We looked good for half the game and then got drawn into taking selfish penalties. It was downhill from Foster’s cross-check; he ate a half dozen in the corner and I understand the team wanting a call or being upset, but his retaliation in front of the benches in open ice away from the puck was such a boneheaded move. It was the same at the end of the period where Foster took a late shot and Peneilli retaliated, leading us to start the third period shorthanded. They may be our two best forwards…but they put us down tonight and it turned the game on us.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not much to add on this game. I think others have pretty much aid what has needed to be said so I am going to pull some positives.

I really feel like it is just a matter of time before Whitehead breaks out. That kid is flying right now. He hasn’t found open ice much yet but he plays as if he is going to find it and I really like that about him. He plays with confidence but not reckless. I also like Amidovski beside him. The way Whitehead plays will complement Amidovski over time. I think the two of those guys should stay together on the 3rd line.

As much as I prefer Foster ont he wing, he seems to be settling in at centre. He has increasingly gotten better as the season progresses, If they keep him there, he may make it as a centre for a team like Ottawa that will be mostly middling.

Ekberg is still a half step behind, especially on the powerplay. Boyd had mentioned that he needed about 10-15 games to find the pace and I think Boyd is right. I expect Ekberg to continue to progress and find the pace. Once he does, I think DC will take the leash off him and let him go.

I don’t think we need to say anything more about Eshkawkogan. That kid is going to be special.

Mayich is our most important player right now.

I gave up on Kelly but it looks like maybe I gave up a little early. I won’t go as far as saying I am wrong but I think his play the last couple games has bought him more time. I’m sort of interested in seeing what he does over the next 3 weeks. See if he can nail down a line. Maybe beside Whitehead and Amidovski? IF he does nail down a spot in that situation, Korbler could have a tough time getting back on a top line. Who am I kidding? Korbler will be back on line one even if Ekberg scores 12 goals on Sunday.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
We looked good for half the game and then got drawn into taking selfish penalties. It was downhill from Foster’s cross-check; he ate a half dozen in the corner and I understand the team wanting a call or being upset, but his retaliation in front of the benches in open ice away from the puck was such a boneheaded move. It was the same at the end of the period where Foster took a late shot and Peneilli retaliated, leading us to start the third period shorthanded. They may be our two best forwards…but they put us down tonight and it turned the game on us.
Very good analysis. This team has to realize who we are. We are NOT a big bruising team that can dish it out. Tonight when Brantford upped the physical play we retaliated ( Foster/Pinelli) took stupid penalties which we don't kill very well and got us off our game. Kudos to Brantford. We are not going to win that way. We have to stay disciplined and make them pay on the PP. As much as I like Pinelli he lets his competitiveness go overboard and he's got to stop the after the whistle stuff. He's not a gorilla he's 170 lbs! Be smart kid and lead by example. Cameron needs to channel the agressiveness of this team to be successful ( mind you not an easy task with testosterone primed 16-19 yrs old).

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Not much to add on this game. I think others have pretty much aid what has needed to be said so I am going to pull some positives.

I really feel like it is just a matter of time before Whitehead breaks out. That kid is flying right now. He hasn’t found open ice much yet but he plays as if he is going to find it and I really like that about him. He plays with confidence but not reckless. I also like Amidovski beside him. The way Whitehead plays will complement Amidovski over time. I think the two of those guys should stay together on the 3rd line.

As much as I prefer Foster ont he wing, he seems to be settling in at centre. He has increasingly gotten better as the season progresses, If they keep him there, he may make it as a centre for a team like Ottawa that will be mostly middling.

Ekberg is still a half step behind, especially on the powerplay. Boyd had mentioned that he needed about 10-15 games to find the pace and I think Boyd is right. I expect Ekberg to continue to progress and find the pace. Once he does, I think DC will take the leash off him and let him go.

I don’t think we need to say anything more about Eshkawkogan. That kid is going to be special.

Mayich is our most important player right now.

I gave up on Kelly but it looks like maybe I gave up a little early. I won’t go as far as saying I am wrong but I think his play the last couple games has bought him more time. I’m sort of interested in seeing what he does over the next 3 weeks. See if he can nail down a line. Maybe beside Whitehead and Amidovski? IF he does nail down a spot in that situation, Korbler could have a tough time getting back on a top line. Who am I kidding? Korbler will be back on line one even if Ekberg scores 12 goals on Sunday.
Good points on Whitehead and Kelly. As for Foster I agree he'll likely be quite serviceable at center( i still prefer Ekberg there eventually on that line) although he had a rough game tonight. Not only the stupid penalty but he lost his man twice in for two goals. Another positive is the play of Barlas, starting to think he might be a serviceable OA next year.

Fawlty

Dec 16, 2023
Didn't see the entire game as I'd seen this movie before. If the playoff win against Brantford is discounted, the 67's seem to have struggled in recent years against Brantford/Hamilton teams. They seem to be able to get under their skin as evidenced by what went on last night with Mayich. I do like his presence on the team though and when Stonehouse comes back he'll add that pest, aggravating element to counter what happened in last night's game. No-one gets under the skin better than him. Agree re. Eshkawkogan. Am super impressed with his play and poise and the kid is still only 15! I think kudos must go to the 67's scouting crew - he is a gem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad