Do fans ever switch teams when relocating?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
As I watched the Wings suck from the comfort of Georgia, I wondered if, and how often a hockey fan might change allegiance when they relocate to another NHL city? Have you ever seen it?
Another interesting perspective is growing up in Ottawa and getting a team (as opposed to moving to a new city with a different team)

Before the Sens, I'd guess the market was split
Habs 40%
Leafs 40%
With the other 20% sprinkled around leaning towards original 6 teams

Here we are 30 years later, I'd say most have switched allegiances and become Sens fans but there's absolutely a hard core that have remained faithful to their original team.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The last time I actually lived in Vancouver was 30 years ago ta 6 years old. I didn't even like hockey growing up but was introduced to it through my cousin who wanted to watch the Habs/Leafs game one night. He also LOVED the old NHL games which he got me into.

I've only been back to Vancouver a few times but outside loving the city what actually pushed me towards a second team was mostly trying to find one that was my own of sorts? At the time, Vancouver was just building towards their fast pace, aggressive style with all the swagger in the world and it just kind of clicked.

So I wound up just watching both the Habs and Canucks, though keep up with the latter more so.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I always like to cheer for the home team, so I became a Sens fan when I moved here in 1994, although they sure did suck then.

I'm from near the GTA, so I've always cheered for the Jays and Raptors, used to like the Expos too.

And for the NFL, I cheer for 1 of the 3 Canadian border teams, the Detroit Lions, always disliked the Bills, so it couldn't be them.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I moved to New Jersey from San Jose in the early 2000s and back then, it wasn't as easy as it is now to follow non local teams. Not having the local sports page to read or listen to the local radio stations or having to pay for stuff like Center Ice or Sunday Ticket just to watch your team was a hassle. I tried to watch the Devils and the Mets and the Nets and the Giants and all I could feel for them was contempt. Soon realized the only teams I wanted to follow were the Sharks, 49ers, Warriors and Giants and I actively developed a hatred for all local teams here.

My favourite teams are always the ones I got into when I started following sports and my second favourite teams are anyone who beats the NY/NJ area teams. Heck I hate the Mets more than I do the Dodgers and I hate the Devils more than any other sports team.

Did you get into a fight at the arena or something? Lol I can't imagine building that much hatred for a team your team plays 2x a season and has never met in the finals or even a real meaningful game lol

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Didn’t switch but I added Nashville and watch almost every Preds game in addition to Leafs game. Carolina was in our TV region so watch a lot of their games too.

Nashville is a great story and if you wanted you could watch a hockey game at one of the downtown bars this afternoon, whereas 20 yrs ago that wasn’t the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad