Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I have ben sitting back behaving because people seem to think I am senile. OK
Welcome back old fella!
Looking at this camp i see some huge issues.

If the rumours about Gardiner and Mews leaving are true, it could potentially trigger a chain reaction that could significantly disrupt our team dynamics.

I can possibly see Foster coming back, but I would not be surprised to see Pinelli look at the tea leaves, realize he will not have a supporting cast, and ask to be traded.

The challenge is that we will not have a full roster of bona fide OHL players.

This team is going to go on the ice with possibly the worst lineup in Ottawa history.

Barlas Foster Horner
Gerrior Ekberg(?) Korbler
Yanni Whitehead Dever
Hilton Amidovski Kelly

Houben

Marelli Horner
Dietsch Brady
Bonomo Eshkawkogan

MacK ( will he want to come back)
Nelson
Micheleone
If that’s the worst lineup in history then you guys are pretty damn lucky. Give it 2 years and you’ll be back to your 50 win seasons! Gotta start the youth movement.
No matter what, this is going to be a rebuild year. There is no way on God's green earth this is a team that can compete with Brampton or Brantford.
Oh for sure. Can say that about most teams in the league though. Brampton and Barrie will both be very strong for starters, then there’s 3 other teams on a lower tier for me right now- Oshawa, Kingston and Brantford.

Oshawa lost some players but is mostly returning the same group that just went to the ohl finals. And the younger players should be better now, while guys like sennecke and Ritchie will have even bigger years.

Kingston is returning a lot of players, some of which had down years last year. Look for those players to bounce back this year along with new rising stars Hopkins and weir. Also has a lot of draft picks that will be used one would assume to better the team with upgrades.

Brantford will already have a good team going in, and then they are STACKED with all of their draft picks. If all 3 of these teams go all in, with Barrie and Brampton already in that mode. It’s a real shame one of these teams will be leaving in round 1. Not a good year for contending teams in the east in my opinion.

Ottawa/north bay probably will be the biggest fallers from a year ago assuming they trade some high end players. Sudbury should be conservative sellers, Niagara is young and still not there. Next year will be way better for them. Peterborough still too young, next year they’ll take a big leap probably with Niagara.

I predict Niagara and maybe you guys miss the playoffs (depending on who you trade- could be Pete’s and Niagara again missing)

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Welcome back old fella!

If that’s the worst lineup in history then you guys are pretty damn lucky. Give it 2 years and you’ll be back to your 50 win seasons! Gotta start the youth movement.

Oh for sure. Can say that about most teams in the league though. Brampton and Barrie will both be very strong for starters, then there’s 3 other teams on a lower tier for me right now- Oshawa, Kingston and Brantford.

Oshawa lost some players but is mostly returning the same group that just went to the ohl finals. And the younger players should be better now, while guys like sennecke and Ritchie will have even bigger years.

Kingston is returning a lot of players, some of which had down years last year. Look for those players to bounce back this year along with new rising stars Hopkins and weir. Also has a lot of draft picks that will be used one would assume to better the team with upgrades.

Brantford will already have a good team going in, and then they are STACKED with all of their draft picks. If all 3 of these teams go all in, with Barrie and Brampton already in that mode. It’s a real shame one of these teams will be leaving in round 1. Not a good year for contending teams in the east in my opinion.

Ottawa/north bay probably will be the biggest fallers from a year ago assuming they trade some high end players. Sudbury should be conservative sellers, Niagara is young and still not there. Next year will be way better for them. Peterborough still too young, next year they’ll take a big leap probably with Niagara.

I predict Niagara and maybe you guys miss the playoffs (depending on who you trade- could be Pete’s and Niagara again missing)
I agree with you on everything, but I think that Niagara has to make the playoffs this year. They have too much talent. I see NB Ottawa and the Petes at the bottom.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I agree with you on everything, but I think that Niagara has to make the playoffs this year. They have too much talent. I see NB Ottawa and the Petes at the bottom.
I think the Petes will be better than most expect. I think Mike Oke will make a few additions to lineup through trades. There goal this year is to make the playoffs.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the Petes will be better than most expect. I think Mike Oke will make a few additions to lineup through trades. There goal this year is to make the playoffs.

I can’t imagine any realistic scenario where the Petes make the playoffs. Maybe 9th if the ‘67s move Gardiner, Pinelli, Mews, and Stonehouse for picks only.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I can’t imagine any realistic scenario where the Petes make the playoffs. Maybe 9th if the ‘67s move Gardiner, Pinelli, Mews, and Stonehouse for picks only.

The PEtes are destined for last place. Maybe if Niagara keeps being stupid in trades, they could finish in 9th.

I doubt any of the rebuilding teams do their rebuild to start the season so those teams will likely gain some important points int he first half.

No offence to the Petes but the reality is they set themselves up for this. Now they have to go through it. This year will be very tough.

Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I agree with you on everything, but I think that Niagara has to make the playoffs this year.
I agree. They really should try and get the younger players some playoff experience even if it means they go out 4 straight. They may make some moves. However their gm is the worst one in the league all of that is up in the air
I see NB Ottawa and the Petes at the bottom.
I think NB makes playoffs but it may be a bit drop off in skill between the 5 or 6 teams and them. Yes they’ll trade guys like wakely, van steensel, probably Romani too one would assume however they still have a good 05/06 group- one to stay afloat and not sink

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The PEtes are destined for last place. Maybe if Niagara keeps being stupid in trades, they could finish in 9th.

I doubt any of the rebuilding teams do their rebuild to start the season so those teams will likely gain some important points int he first half.

No offence to the Petes but the reality is they set themselves up for this. Now they have to go through it. This year will be very tough.

There are now probably two open import spots in Niagara which they could fill with Molnar, Gazizov, Chromiak. We should expect that since Niagara seems to be in on every team’s excess. It will take just slight improvement for Niagara to be closer to the middle than bottom, I think.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There are now probably two open import spots in Niagara which they could fill with Molnar, Gazizov, Chromiak. We should expect that since Niagara seems to be in on every team’s excess. It will take just slight improvement for Niagara to be closer to the middle than bottom, I think.

I think you are pouring a lot of faith into an organization that has proven to make stupid move after stupid move. Until that management group shows they know what they are doing, I fall ont he side of them being a perpetual non-playoff team. They are now in the “prove it” category for me.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think you are pouring a lot of faith into an organization that has proven to make stupid move after stupid move. Until that management group shows they know what they are doing, I fall ont he side of them being a perpetual non-playoff team. They are now in the “prove it” category for me.

It appears imports will there for the taking. Like Brauti, Niagara can give up a stupid amount of picks for them; but be better for it this season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Like last season, we’ll see….

While far from impressive, a 0.309 W% from 0.243 is quite a bit better. I would hope their depth is better this season too; seven 16 yr olds playing in games during the final weeks should never happen.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
While far from impressive, a 0.309 W% from 0.243 is quite a bit better. I would hope their depth is better this season too; seven 16 yr olds playing in games during the final weeks should never happen.

At the end of the day, this management team has found a way to flounder. They torpedo themselves. That has been the one consistent with the Ice Dogs since DD took over. Until they show they are focused on winning, I choose to assume they remain poor. If they remain poor, top players will continue to choose not to report and/or request trades.

With any luck, things will turn around BUT I am not convinced that will be this year. I agree they have some strong talent but I’m not convinced talent makes a difference for that team.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Trading form chromiak would only prove that the GM is out to lunch. One thing to consider with trades from Niagara is just like Kingston Boudreau is starting the year with his stamp on the team. It is possible that just like Mann and possibly Cameron the staff is getting rid of players that do not want to play the new coaches system

Bruce Boudreau would have advised running away from Niagara to his son if the system was so bad. I think that on paper, the lineup is comparable to that of a team that has built through the draft and trades for young talent.

As OMG stated time will tell but I see the Petes and Niagara fighting for the 6,7,8 playoff spot.

I see Ottawa missing the playoffs, and that is not a bad thing as long as Cameron develops the young players that he and Boyd have drafted.

Gerrior is the last of the players that were drafted to Tourigny's system, so it is now his players. It is players that he was happy with Boyd drafting that he is stuck with. So far it has been a flop as far a forward development.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Trading form chromiak would only prove that the GM is out to lunch. One thing to consider with trades from Niagara is just like Kingston Boudreau is starting the year with his stamp on the team. It is possible that just like Mann and possibly Cameron the staff is getting rid of players that do not want to play the new coaches system

Bruce Boudreau would have advised running away from Niagara to his son if the system was so bad. I think that on paper, the lineup is comparable to that of a team that has built through the draft and trades for young talent.

As OMG stated time will tell but I see the Petes and Niagara fighting for the 6,7,8 playoff spot.

I see Ottawa missing the playoffs, and that is not a bad thing as long as Cameron develops the young players that he and Boyd have drafted.

Gerrior is the last of the players that were drafted to Tourigny's system, so it is now his players. It is players that he was happy with Boyd drafting that he is stuck with. So far it has been a flop as far a forward development.
Depending on the price paid, possibly a waiver claim; a 19 yr old D previously highly rated with ~2 seasons of OHL experience cannot hurt a team whose biggest roster issue is depth of experience and talent at D.
You are correct according to Boudreau that his roster was not suitable. I really think a battle for 6,7,8 spots is not in the cards for the Petes and Icedogs though. Niagara could get into a 7-8 spot. The Petes could avoid 10th if there is a truly all-out team.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Depending on the price paid, possibly a waiver claim; a 19 yr old D previously highly rated with ~2 seasons of OHL experience cannot hurt a team whose biggest roster issue is depth of experience and talent at D.
You are correct according to Boudreau that his roster was not suitable. I really think a battle for 6,7,8 spots is not in the cards for the Petes and Icedogs though. Niagara could get into a 7-8 spot. The Petes could avoid 10th if there is a truly all-out team.
I think the main question is going to be how good/bad Ottawa and NB are going to be. NB has a reasonable returning cast to stay competitive, but I really do not see Ottawa being a playoff contender this year. There are just too many question marks, and I am not convinced that Cameron can develop youth.

Boyd needs to bite the bullet and realize that he screwed up by not bringing in forward talent in the last 3 drafts and rebuild. Forget about trades to make the playoffs.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Right now, with the direction it seems the teams are going, I think the Eastern Conference will look like this:

1> Brampton
2> Oshawa
3> Barrie
4> Kingston
5> Brantford
6-7-8> Ottawa, NB, and Sudbury (results will depend a lot on how deep these teams move players out)
9> Niagara
10> Peterborough

I agree with @dirty12 that the one caveat to the 6-10 ranking depends a lot on how deep a team or two may sell.

I am also flipping a coin between Oshawa and Kingston. I am assuming Oshawa returns Senneke and Ritchie. I think they may make a few savvy moves because they are a popular franchise that players want to play for. They may be able to snag a player or two at slightly under market value which will help them. I don’t think Kingston will be capable of making a savvy type move.

I also feel Barrie finishes ahead of Oshawa in the standings but Oshawa takes the #2 Seed as the division winner.

I think Brantford will focus on next season. I think they will be good but not great. They may have an opportunity to add an 18 year old that will help this year and next (Leenders) but I don’t see them sacrificing assets on this season that aren’t returning next season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Article today on 67s social media states that Ekberg is not signed yet...

We’ve seen articles where he said he’s excited to come play for Ottawa. They may still be working out details but the player does want to be here. The 67’s want him here.

He was injured at the U-18 Hlinka tourney and missed the 2nd half of the tourney so maybe that is causing some concern? Possibly?…just speculating.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
We’ve seen articles where he said he’s excited to come play for Ottawa. They may still be working out details but the player does want to be here. The 67’s want him here.

He was injured at the U-18 Hlinka tourney and missed the 2nd half of the tourney so maybe that is causing some concern? Possibly?…just speculating.
Hey when kids are drafted they will say a lot of good things unless their name is Lindros LOL.

He has had a few weeks to look at things and talk to people in Europe. Also, I am sure that they looked at this team and what the 67's are going to have this year to support him, and frankly, there really is not much.

His agent may also not agree with the way that DC develops(?) young talent. They feel he will learn more staying in Europe, practicing with the WJC team, and getting development there.

Usually, by now, they have signed the player.

I agree that his injury may also be an issue, and if he has to stay or decides to stay in Europe to recover, then that will heavily influence his decision.

Somewhere along the line, the OWNERSHIP has to take a look at the players who do not want to come back, The feelings of the players who left and also the lack of development of the rookies There is something going on and I am not sure what it is BUT something has to change I can not remember an Ottawa team in this much dis array and having so many people want out or not signing.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hey when kids are drafted they will say a lot of good things unless their name is Lindros LOL.

He has had a few weeks to look at things and talk to people in Europe. Also, I am sure that they looked at this team and what the 67's are going to have this year to support him, and frankly, there really is not much.

His agent may also not agree with the way that DC develops(?) young talent. They feel he will learn more staying in Europe, practicing with the WJC team, and getting development there.

Usually, by now, they have signed the player.

I agree that his injury may also be an issue, and if he has to stay or decides to stay in Europe to recover, then that will heavily influence his decision.

Somewhere along the line, the OWNERSHIP has to take a look at the players who do not want to come back, The feelings of the players who left and also the lack of development of the rookies There is something going on and I am not sure what it is BUT something has to change I can not remember an Ottawa team in this much dis array and having so many people want out or not signing.

They don’t draft players they are unsure of. The only one that didn’t come in recent memory was Lintuniemi. But, Covid played a part in that with the cancelled season. The other was Kasper but the talk was the Sens were going to pick him and place him in Ottawa but they ended up trading the pick to Chicago in the Debrincat deal.

I am not worried at all. I am sure they have positive discussions prior to the pick. There is no real rush to get pen to paper. There could be issues with his Junior club releasing rights ($$$). There could be an injury/illness issue that needs to be resolved. Elite Prospects doesn’t have him listed on his Swedish Club so I doubt there is any big issue.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
They don’t draft players they are unsure of. The only one that didn’t come in recent memory was Lintuniemi. But, Covid played a part in that with the cancelled season. The other was Kasper but the talk was the Sens were going to pick him and place him in Ottawa but they ended up trading the pick to Chicago in the Debrincat deal.

I am not worried at all. I am sure they have positive discussions prior to the pick. There is no real rush to get pen to paper. There could be issues with his Junior club releasing rights ($$$). There could be an injury/illness issue that needs to be resolved. Elite Prospects doesn’t have him listed on his Swedish Club so I doubt there is any big issue.
I was thinking more of HB and teh rumours that players want out. not of the Euro

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

He's also confirmed to leave Almtuna. Barring something unexpected he's gonna be with the 67's next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad