Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
A quick Google search of BG dad will explain the reasoning of why he wants to be closer to home with mom.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It is possible that graduating players don’t want to be here for a rebuild year. Boyd is seeing a hot market right now. May be better to strike when hot.
Watched Ottawa a bit last year but never focused too heavily on Gardiner or his game. I can see his #’s obviously but what’s your analysis of him?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I must say even though little of consequence has yet transpired with the 67's it's been an interesting august. Talk of key players wanting out ( Mews, Gardiner). Hints of some disatisfaction with Cameron. A looming roster crunch..too many potential OA's and players period! Really don't have a feel for what this team will look like. One thing I am sure it's not a year to add ( except depth smaller pieces perhaps). Barlow to Ottawa is foolishness imo.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Watched Ottawa a bit last year but never focused too heavily on Gardiner or his game. I can see his #’s obviously but what’s your analysis of him?

Gardiner has a good sized body and plays well at both ends of the ice. He has a solid shot but his real benefit is his work down low where he can retrieve pucks and make plays. You put him with a scorer and he will produce well. He is not a player that drives his own line alone. He needs to work off other players but that makes him versatile so he can work with many different types of players.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I'll give you my opinion fwiw. Solid two way player who after a big jump in year two stagnated a bit last year at least offensively. But I don't think he was put in a position to succeed by Cameron especially after the deadline. I do think he can be a #2 center in this league or certainly a quality #3 on a contender.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'll give you my opinion fwiw. Solid two way player who after a big jump in year two stagnated a bit last year at least offensively. But I don't think he was put in a position to succeed by Cameron especially after the deadline. I do think he can be a #2 center in this league or certainly a quality #3 on a contender.

I disagree. I think on a contender, he can be a very solid #2. I don’t see a scenario where he is a #3 centre. Even if he were to go to Brampton, he’d bump someone off #1/2 centre or shift to RW before he goes to #3 centre.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I disagree. I think on a contender, he can be a very solid #2. I don’t see a scenario where he is a #3 centre. Even if he were to go to Brampton, he’d bump someone off #1/2 centre or shift to RW before he goes to #3 centre.
Would depend on the acquiring team imo.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I don’t think any team acquiring him would pay the acquisition cost to relegate him to #3C.
Good point but we don't know the acquisition cost. A few factors could lower it. As you alluded to it is shaping up as a buyers' market. Also if some personal issues are a factor in the trade request it might decrease the 67's leverage. At the end of the day you only need one team to see him as the last piece of the puzzle whether it be top6 centre/wing or #3 center. Ultimately ideally I'd like both Mews/Gardiner to stay put and build for 25/26. So trade pinelli/Mayich/Mac by the deadline and recoup assets.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good point but we don't know the acquisition cost. A few factors could lower it. As you alluded to it is shaping up as a buyers' market. Also if some personal issues are a factor in the trade request it might decrease the 67's leverage. At the end of the day you only need one team to see him as the last piece of the puzzle whether it be top6 centre/wing or #3 center. Ultimately ideally I'd like both Mews/Gardiner to stay put and build for 25/26. So trade pinelli/Mayich/Mac by the deadline and recoup assets.

I’m down with that plan!

I’m sure Boyd will get FMV for Gardiner. He is a highly regarded player and NHL 3rd round pick. Plays the game the right way. I would find it hard to believe it would be difficult to find suitors for him.

I think Brampton is a great spot for him. Barrie is pretty solid down the middle so I cannot see them entering the fold.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I’m down with that plan!

I’m sure Boyd will get FMV for Gardiner. He is a highly regarded player and NHL 3rd round pick. Plays the game the right way. I would find it hard to believe it would be difficult to find suitors for him.

I think Brampton is a great spot for him. Barrie is pretty solid down the middle so I cannot see them entering the fold.
I do hope they get FMV for Gardiner if he ends traded, we'll see I guess. I'm hoping for a hockey trade not just picks. Would be nice to add a 17/18 y.o. that would help for a few years.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I do hope they get FMV for Gardiner if he ends traded, we'll see I guess. I'm hoping for a hockey trade not just picks. Would be nice to add a 17/18 y.o. that would help for a few years.

Whether it is in one trade or two, they need to replace Gardiner at centre.

Reactions: PuckStop75

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
To get a comparable centre It likely would be a one for one trade with maybe a 3rd or a 4th coming to Ottawa.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I have ben sitting back behaving because people seem to think I am senile. OK

Looking at this camp i see some huge issues.

If the rumours about Gardiner and Mews leaving are true, it could potentially trigger a chain reaction that could significantly disrupt our team dynamics.

I can possibly see Foster coming back, but I would not be surprised to see Pinelli look at the tea leaves, realize he will not have a supporting cast, and ask to be traded.

The challenge is that we will not have a full roster of bona fide OHL players.

This team is going to go on the ice with possibly the worst lineup in Ottawa history.

Barlas Foster Horner
Gerrior Ekberg(?) Korbler
Yanni Whitehead Dever
Hilton Amidovski Kelly

Houben

Marelli Horner
Dietsch Brady
Bonomo Eshkawkogan

MacK ( will he want to come back)
Nelson
Micheleone

? has Ekberg signed and committed to coming here?

to me, this is a good thing as it will decide if DC can really coach and develop players or if he is just able to move chess pieces.

He is going to have a team of players who want to be here or have nowhere else to go, so they should be receptive to his system. He can fill in some of the pieces with a couple of OA, but to trade an 08 or any of the 07 08 crowds should get Boyd a free trip out of the city.

No matter what, this is going to be a rebuild year. There is no way on God's green earth this is a team that can compete with Brampton or Brantford.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have ben sitting back behaving because people seem to think I am senile. OK

Looking at this camp i see some huge issues.

If the rumours about Gardiner and Mews leaving are true, it could potentially trigger a chain reaction that could significantly disrupt our team dynamics.

I can possibly see Foster coming back, but I would not be surprised to see Pinelli look at the tea leaves, realize he will not have a supporting cast, and ask to be traded.

The challenge is that we will not have a full roster of bona fide OHL players.

This team is going to go on the ice with possibly the worst lineup in Ottawa history.

Barlas Foster Horner
Gerrior Ekberg(?) Korbler
Yanni Whitehead Dever
Hilton Amidovski Kelly

Houben

Marelli Horner
Dietsch Brady
Bonomo Eshkawkogan

MacK ( will he want to come back)
Nelson
Micheleone

? has Ekberg signed and committed to coming here?

to me, this is a good thing as it will decide if DC can really coach and develop players or if he is just able to move chess pieces.

He is going to have a team of players who want to be here or have nowhere else to go, so they should be receptive to his system. He can fill in some of the pieces with a couple of OA, but to trade an 08 or any of the 07 08 crowds should get Boyd a free trip out of the city.

No matter what, this is going to be a rebuild year. There is no way on God's green earth this is a team that can compete with Brampton or Brantford.

Beast, you are old so senility comes with the territory!

I have spoken to some people and what I have deduced from the multiple sources is this:

1> Gardiner is being shopped. He wants out for whatever reason. It does look like he will be traded.
2> Ottawa has not shopped Mews regardless of whether he wants out or not. If he REALLY wants out, it looks like it would need to be him not reporting to camp. He’d have to force Boyds hand. I doubt that would happen. There may be a possibility of a deadline move but even that doesn’t look like it is in the cards.
3> Ekberg is coming.
4> OA’s will obviously be moved. Not sure what that combination will be.

The rest? I am unsure about. Boyd will make a best effort to try to ice a good team. If that doesn’t work and they are falling backwards, then we will likely see a selloff of some kind. But, it won’t happen early.

If Gardiner does end up gone, we will need a centre. But, we won’t need it until the season starts and like last year, I cannot see them make a move out of desperation. I think they would do their best early and see what transpires. I imagine they would want a centre back in a deal for Gardiner but I’m not sure the pieces would fit so….

I think it is way too early to try to piece together a depth chart. Too many variables at play. We need to simply sit back and watch everything unfold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad