Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The last thing I can see is them helping Brantford who should have a fairly good team. There are defencemen out there that would fit the bill. Mews, to me, would be a good fit on the RHD side of things, and I am sure a good deal could be made, BUT I still think that unless they have a bonafide OHL backup, they will keep both until the deadline. Then you may see a trade. But to do so now seems to be counterproductive.
brantford has assessed that goalies are their biggest issue and want to fix it asap

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I wish Beast were managing Brampton and got the SHOCK that Ivankovic as the top goaltending prospect in the 2025 NHL draft said, “Yeah. I’m out. I am staying home until traded because I am not interested in sharing the crease…”

Then he trades Ivankovic at a discount and on top of that significantly less than Brantford because he doesn’t want to help Brantford.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I wish Beast were managing Brampton and got the SHOCK that Ivankovic as the top goaltending prospect in the 2025 NHL draft said, “Yeah. I’m out. I am staying home until traded because I am not interested in sharing the crease…”

Then he trades Ivankovic at a discount and on top of that significantly less than Brantford because he doesn’t want to help Brantford.
Exactly.

London and Brampton are probably the 2 teams that are the front runners for a good goalie. London always lowballs- won’t win a deal there. Brampton yes you’re in the same conference but will put together a much better package.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Exactly.

London and Brampton are probably the 2 teams that are the front runners for a good goalie. London always lowballs- won’t win a deal there. Brampton yes you’re in the same conference but will put together a much better package.

Look at the bright side. Beast would get a 2nd and 3rd for Ivankovic going to London instead of 2x2nds and 3x2rds for Leenders in Brantford.

Brampton gets less value for the higher value goalie because he was unable to see that two stud goalies sharing the same crease is unsustainable.

• Haha
Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Look at the bright side. Beast would get a 2nd and 3rd for Ivankovic going to London instead of 2x2nds and 3x2rds for Leenders in Brantford.

Brampton gets less value for the higher value goalie because he was unable to see that two stud goalies sharing the same crease is unsustainable.
Time will tell. I keep hearing OMG talk about waiting until the deadline as the prices are better for players in trades. Now, he is saying something different.

The bottom line is that if both can or are willing to share, then there is space. Leenders shared last year with Ivankovic, and he still got drafted, so really, that is not a huge factor.

I think I would be looking for more than a 2nd and 3rd I would be looking at a bunch of picks to replace the rebkhopf trade

It's been fun, but I am out of here. Have a great season and enjoy llife in the cold

Just remember that in a lot of cases, I was more right than wrong.

Consider everyone thinking that this team was a top team last year when I said 5-6 at best. Where did the end up?

OMG and his prophecy that Moldenhauer would come back to the OHL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Time will tell. I keep hearing OMG talk about waiting until the deadline as the prices are better for players in trades. Now, he is saying something different.

The bottom line is that if both can or are willing to share, then there is space. Leenders shared last year with Ivankovic, and he still got drafted, so really, that is not a huge factor.

I think I would be looking for more than a 2nd and 3rd I would be looking at a bunch of picks to replace the rebkhopf trade

It's been fun, but I am out of here. Have a great season and enjoy llife in the cold

Just remember that in a lot of cases, I was more right than wrong.

Consider everyone thinking that this team was a top team last year when I said 5-6 at best. Where did the end up?

OMG and his prophecy that Moldenhauer would come back to the OHL.

When you have the top rated goalie for the NHL draft that you picked top 10 in your own draft, you need to respect that player and give him the net or trade him somewhere he can take the net. This isn’t about a 19 year old where you are trying to get a 1st round pick which requires you to wait for the deadline. Or, in Pinelli’s case, he’s the 4th best potentially available winger. Teams contending will wait on the top 1 or 2 to become available.

There is nuance in situations you clearly either don’t see or don’t understand. Not every situation is the same.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

When you have the top rated goalie for the NHL draft that you picked top 10 in your own draft, you need to respect that player and give him the net or trade him somewhere he can take the net. This isn’t about a 19 year old where you are trying to get a 1st round pick which requires you to wait for the deadline. Or, in Pinelli’s case, he’s the 4th best potentially available winger. Teams contending will wait on the top 1 or 2 to become available.

There is nuance in situations you clearly either don’t see or don’t understand. Not every situation is the same.
To me it would be risky to go with 17 year old as your starting goaltender on a team that wants to win a championship this season. The last one to do so, I think was Chad Lang with the Petes in 1993.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
To me it would be risky to go with 17 year old as your starting goaltender on a team that wants to win a championship this season. The last one to do so, I think was Chad Lang with the Petes in 1993.
I believe DiPietro took the starting role at 17 after (3 straight shut-outs in teddy bear toss games?) and won a memorial cup.
The colts and frontenacs could both have two starting calibre goalies. The steelheads probably cannot afford giving away points in the standings playing a weak backup, and should not want to over work the 17 yr old. I would be moving Leenders and bring in an OA goalie that could accept a lesser role to be part of a championship run.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I believe DiPietro took the starting role at 17 after (3 straight shut-outs in teddy bear toss games?) and won a memorial cup.
The colts and frontenacs could both have two starting calibre goalies. The steelheads probably cannot afford giving away points in the standings playing a weak backup, and should not want to over work the 17 yr old. I would be moving Leenders and bring in an OA goalie that could accept a lesser role to be part of a championship run.

I wouldn’t waste an OA spot on an OA goalie. Decent backups don’t cost a lot in f draft capital.

If the Steelheads prove to be championship calibre, they should be able to employ a reasonable backup to play 1/3 the games that fall against the bottom 1/3 teams in the league.

Ottawa acquired Michelone for a 9th round pick and he served admirably as a backup. That’s all Brampton needs.

I am not saying Brampton should trade Leenders. There is an argument that could be made that strategically trading Ivankovic makes more sense. Keeping Leenders is a viable option since he is older and you’d likely get a better trade return with Ivankovic.

Either way, you cannot keep both. The cost of a quality backup isn’t prohibitive enough to waste an OA spot IMO.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I wouldn’t waste an OA spot on an OA goalie. Decent backups don’t cost a lot in f draft capital.

If the Steelheads prove to be championship calibre, they should be able to employ a reasonable backup to play 1/3 the games that fall against the bottom 1/3 teams in the league.

Ottawa acquired Michelone for a 9th round pick and he served admirably as a backup. That’s all Brampton needs.

I am not saying Brampton should trade Leenders. There is an argument that could be made that strategically trading Ivankovic makes more sense. Keeping Leenders is a viable option since he is older and you’d likely get a better trade return with Ivankovic.

Either way, you cannot keep both. The cost of a quality backup isn’t prohibitive enough to waste an OA spot IMO.

With the draft capital the steelheads will have after a Leenders trade, plus 2006-07 D to move out for a playoff ready D; I think that team can acquire the required 19 yr olds and a real solid back up plan at goalie in case of the unthinkable.
If you can get Stuzka for 3, 6 picks fine; otherwise, the cost and value of Parsons, Wilmore, Vandenberg, Flores, Schenkel, MacKenzie will be better than any mediocre non-starter.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With the draft capital the steelheads will have after a Leenders trade, plus 2006-07 D to move out for a playoff ready D; I think that team can acquire the required 19 yr olds and a real solid back up plan at goalie in case of the unthinkable.
If you can get Stuzka for 3, 6 picks fine; otherwise, the cost and value of Parsons, Wilmore, Vandenberg, Flores, Schenkel, MacKenzie will be better than any mediocre non-starter.

I don’t think any of those OA’s would be happy in that situation. The only OA to be happy in that situation would be a mediocre guy that hasn’t been a starter and only cares about getting another year of tuition at minimal effort.

Lalonde played 32 games last year for Saginaw and he cost the difference between a 5th and 7th. Vandenburg was two 3rds. Michelone was a 9th.

The cost of a key 19 year old skater vs the cost of a key 20 year old skater, especially this season, will be much more than the cost of the backup 19 year old goalie, especially when you add in the cost of an OA goalie.

A backup goalie is not all that important. They only need to hold down the fort. If there is an injury to the starter, maybe it becomes more of an issue but even then, the team in front of that goalie should make the difference during the regular season.

For example, Michelone in Windsor was 4.50 .867 5-7-2. Over a very similar number of games and minutes played in Ottawa, he was 3.02 .887 12-3-2. You don’t need more than a reasonable guy as your backup when you have a bonafide starter. The reality is, if your stud starter is injured in the playoffs, you are not as likely to go all the way anyway. Having a decent OA goalie jsut in case likely still wont get you where you want to go.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t think any of those OA’s would be happy in that situation. The only OA to be happy in that situation would be a mediocre guy that hasn’t been a starter and only cares about getting another year of tuition at minimal effort.

Lalonde played 32 games last year for Saginaw and he cost the difference between a 5th and 7th. Vandenburg was two 3rds. Michelone was a 9th.

The cost of a key 19 year old skater vs the cost of a key 20 year old skater, especially this season, will be much more than the cost of the backup 19 year old goalie, especially when you add in the cost of an OA goalie.

A backup goalie is not all that important. They only need to hold down the fort. If there is an injury to the starter, maybe it becomes more of an issue but even then, the team in front of that goalie should make the difference during the regular season.

For example, Michelone in Windsor was 4.50 .867 5-7-2. Over a very similar number of games and minutes played in Ottawa, he was 3.02 .887 12-3-2. You don’t need more than a reasonable guy as your backup when you have a bonafide starter. The reality is, if your stud starter is injured in the playoffs, you are not as likely to go all the way anyway. Having a decent OA goalie jsut in case likely still wont get you where you want to go.

Agreed with parts of that.
Seeding for playoffs can be important. Barrie and Kingston appear set up in net not to be giving up easy points like NB did last season ultimately finishing a win away from the #1 seed.
Absolutely look at the cost-benefit of OAs at various positions. If you can have any of Mathurin, McCoy, or DeAngelis rather than paying up for Andonovski; by all means do that.
Just don’t cheap out with all those disposable assets on an unreliable BUG and start the 17 year old 60 times and pray he doesn’t get injured.
That from a guy that believes the importance of goaltending is over stated :)

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agreed with parts of that.
Seeding for playoffs can be important. Barrie and Kingston appear set up in net not to be giving up easy points like NB did last season ultimately finishing a win away from the #1 seed.
Absolutely look at the cost-benefit of OAs at various positions. If you can have any of Mathurin, McCoy, or DeAngelis rather than paying up for Andonovski; by all means do that.
Just don’t cheap out with all those disposable assets on an unreliable BUG and start the 17 year old 60 times and pray he doesn’t get injured.
That from a guy that believes the importance of goaltending is over stated :)

I am operating with the assumption they will bring in top shelf available OA’s. The type of players that if they were 19 years old you’d be looking at trading your 1st round pick for (or at minimum the Donovan type picks deal). That is assuming some of those guys become available at some point. You pegged McCoy, Mathurin, and DeAngelis. Those are three I would target for sure. The deadline cost of guys like that would mirror what Ottawa paid for Mayer.

I’d rather have a capable 19yo backup goalie for a 3rd round pick plus McCoy for a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th vs paying a 6th for a backup OA goalie and two 2nds, four 3rds, and two 4ths for whoever the 2024-25 version of Donovan ends up being (maybe Andonovski).

Although, there may be a few ‘06 D-Men come available that could be interesting options. Maybe more so than the top ‘05 options.

EDIT:
2nd, 4th, 6th for Mathurin. I think the OA market on quality OA D-Men has been set. Not a bad deal for both sides. Not deadline 2024 price but solid for an offseason price.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I am operating with the assumption they will bring in top shelf available OA’s. The type of players that if they were 19 years old you’d be looking at trading your 1st round pick for (or at minimum the Donovan type picks deal). That is assuming some of those guys become available at some point. You pegged McCoy, Mathurin, and DeAngelis. Those are three I would target for sure. The deadline cost of guys like that would mirror what Ottawa paid for Mayer.

I’d rather have a capable 19yo backup goalie for a 3rd round pick plus McCoy for a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th vs paying a 6th for a backup OA goalie and two 2nds, four 3rds, and two 4ths for whoever the 2024-25 version of Donovan ends up being (maybe Andonovski).

Although, there may be a few ‘06 D-Men come available that could be interesting options. Maybe more so than the top ‘05 options.

EDIT:
2nd, 4th, 6th for Mathurin. I think the OA market on quality OA D-Men has been set. Not a bad deal for both sides. Not deadline 2024 price but solid for an offseason price.

The ‘25-2nd is a pretty big deal imo. With two in hand, NB does not have to force the issue of ‘25 picks in any other trades.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Looks like Ekberg must have gotten injured. He played the first three games and then missed the rest of the tournament.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If you have watched any of the u18s you would understand why they might trade Leenders. He (Ivankovic) will be top 5 in the league probably this year and the year after (his dy+1) he will be even better.

Ivankovic is going to be a BIG breakout player. Probably the first goalie selected in the whole draft and probably a first round pick. Leenders falling to 7 was a mistake, I had him going 3/4th round but even then there’s a HUGE skill gap between the 1st round and the 3rd/4th round.

Ivankovic is the future of goaltending for the steelheads without question. Only question is when they trade Leenders. And that’s not a knock to Leenders either. It’s crazy because Brampton has 2 of the top 5 goalies in the league and has to trade one.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
If you have watched any of the u18s you would understand why they might trade Leenders for this. He will be top 5 in the league probably this year and the year after (his dy+1) he will be even better.

Ivankovic is going to be a BIG breakout player. Probably the first goalie selected in the whole draft and probably a first round pick. Leenders falling to 7 was a mistake, I had him going 3/4th round but even then there’s a HUGE skill gap between the 1st round and the 3rd/4th round.

Ivankovic is the future of goaltending for the steelheads without question. Only question is when they trade Leenders. And that’s not a knock to Leenders either. It’s crazy because Brampton has 2 of the top 5 goalies in the league and has to trade one.
Michael DiPietro won a Memorial Cup for Windsor in 2017 as a 17yo.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Michael DiPietro won a Memorial Cup for Windsor in 2017 as a 17yo.
However that same team was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs and as a result took the back door to the Memorial Cup. It is not the same situation.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
However that same team was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs and as a result took the back door to the Memorial Cup. It is not the same situation.
Eliminated due to having a mash unit for much of the second half of the season. Diapietro’s play was outstanding including in the MC. Yes same situation. Strong team, young capable goalie. Ivankovic is capable of taking Brampton as far as the team can take him.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Eliminated due to having a mash unit for much of the second half of the season. Diapietro’s play was outstanding including in the MC. Yes same situation. Strong team, young capable goalie. Ivankovic is capable of taking Brampton as far as the team can take him.

I think this is accurate. You cannot go wrong with either but Ivankovic has the “it” factor and that is the main separation.

This yearwill be Ivankovic’s breakout season as a starter. We will get to see if he does live up to the hype. If he does, what Brampton will get is steady play game in and game out without giving up those weak goals. You have to earn the goals you get. That is similar to NHL goaltending at its best against the NHL Shooters, no soft goals or at least they are very rare. The elite goalies have that in them. That steadiness that allows consistency. This year should be the year Ivankovic shows he can be that guy at this level.

If Brampton can manage the defensive zone, they have a chance at breaking the 200 goals against barrier. That means they only need above average scoring. Imagine this Brampton team with 300 goals for and 195 against? And, if they go out and acquire more scoring to complement what they already have? 330 goals for is not out of the question with Rehkopf and Martone side by side.

Last edited:

Ad

Ad

Ad