Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Looks like Luca Bonomo will play this season with Caledon Admirals I heard he had signed there & then seen he did play this evening for them in exhibition action
Makes sense, from what I heard he's in need of development before the O. Big kid, they sometimes take longer.

Reactions: OMG67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Hopefully we see a surprise or two at camp.
Would love to see
a beast named Hilton
a pissed-off Whitehead

I think if the youth are going to make a dent on this team they need to come into camp with the Galbraith attitude.

Do more than the coaches want and hit anything that moves as hard as they can.

The interesting thing is gong to be what the older players do. I have a feeling they are not as comfortable as they were last year coming into camp. If they are and DC does not push them, then, I think there is a coaching problem.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That/s pretty unfortunate. I guess they will now rely on Ekberg to hopefully fill a top 6 Centre role?

Pinelli - Ekberg - Foster
Gerrior(OA) - Dever - Horner
Barlas - Whitehead - Korbler
Yanni - Amidovski - Kelly
Hilton

They haven’t signed Perrier yet. I think they will at some point. I think they’d try to keep him as an affiliate player through the first half limiting his games.

Will Boyd try to flip those picks for an 18 year old centre? I am not too sure he will. Ekberg and Whitehead are 17. I think he will give those two every opportunity to develop. Then Amidovski is right behind them at 16 years old. I think adding an 18 year old centre just creates a but of a log jam with four returning centres. My sense if they give this lineup some time together. See what transpires.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
That/s pretty unfortunate. I guess they will now rely on Ekberg to hopefully fill a top 6 Centre role?

Pinelli - Ekberg - Foster
Gerrior(OA) - Dever - Horner
Barlas - Whitehead - Korbler
Yanni - Amidovski - Kelly
Hilton

They haven’t signed Perrier yet. I think they will at some point. I think they’d try to keep him as an affiliate player through the first half limiting his games.

Will Boyd try to flip those picks for an 18 year old centre? I am not too sure he will. Ekberg and Whitehead are 17. I think he will give those two every opportunity to develop. Then Amidovski is right behind them at 16 years old. I think adding an 18 year old centre just creates a but of a log jam with four returning centres. My sense if they give this lineup some time together. See what transpires.
I would think they have something in the works for a C with that lack of depth in the middle.
It would be kind of hilarious if they do go out and waste all their picks on Barlow like Agranderson hinted at

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This trade also moves them back closer to filling in the holes in their draft pick cupboard. For top 5 round picks, they are only missing picks for the 3rd and 4th round in 2026 and a 5th round in 2027.

They have extra pick in:
2025 - 3x 4ths
2028 - 2x 2nds

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would think they have something in the works for a C with that lack of depth in the middle.
It would be kind of hilarious if they do go out and waste all their picks on Barlow like Agranderson hinted at

I can potentially see Barlow having Ottawa on his list of teams he’d be willing to go to but that doesn’t mean Ottawa would be a serious trade candidate. I mean, anything is possible. No harm in discussing a deal to see what the parameters are. But, if Ottawa wants to be a contender this year, they will need to move Amidovski at the deadline and I don’t see that being a deal Boyd would entertain.

I think he will take the approach I’ve mentioned for Kingston. Let the team go out there and see what they can do. If they show they are capable, maybe he makes an exception. But, I think it is more likely they let the team run it out. Let Ekberg prove capable. I don’t have an issue with Dever as the 2C. Same with Whitehead as the 3C. I’m more skeptical of Ekberg at 1C. He’s likely too young.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On paper it certainly looks like Gardiner underachieved last year - 49 points in your D+1 year after being a third round NHL pick doesn't look like the kind of development you would have hoped for. Was he a frequent resident of Cameron's doghouse?

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hypothetically speaking, if Ottawa falls outside the top 5 at the deadline, and they don’t make any moves to acquire players, that opens the door for a Pinelli trade. We have a decent draft picks cupboard right now. We’ll likely add a bit to it with the moving of a couple excess OA’s.

I think we have an opportunity to build a bit of a war chest. Then it would be a matter of what year to build around.

OH! And I forgot to mention. Good on Boyd for trading Brad to his hometown. I am sure he likely had a bit of a better deal elsewhere. Boyd is building a solid reputation of doing right by the players. Hopefully that will play to his favour when signing the harder to sign guys in the future.

Reactions: LDN

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Right again. Back to counting shots i go Agranderson
Lol literally. I predicted it would happen a few weeks ago too.

Pretty easy to read. Not 100% sure on foster but obviously Pinelli and mews will get traded at some point

On paper it certainly looks like Gardiner underachieved last year - 49 points in your D+1 year after being a third round NHL pick doesn't look like the kind of development you would have hoped for. Was he a frequent resident of Cameron's doghouse?
I expected a breakout this year regardless of if he was with Ottawa or elsewhere. I predict 60-70 points being on Barrie’s second line

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
This trade also moves them back closer to filling in the holes in their draft pick cupboard. For top 5 round picks, they are only missing picks for the 3rd and 4th round in 2026 and a 5th round in 2027.

They have extra pick in:
2025 - 3x 4ths
2028 - 2x 2nds
As I said weeks ago. Would be smart for you guys to get your 2 first round picks this year and trade mews for either a crap ton of picks or a first round 16 year old and picks and then trade Pinelli for picks and a 16 year old at deadline and build around the 3 or 4 16 year olds. If foster comes back next year as an OA trade him for picks too and then you guys are loaded with picks and young talent the next few years.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As I said weeks ago. Would be smart for you guys to get your 2 first round picks this year and trade mews for either a crap ton of picks or a first round 16 year old and picks and then trade Pinelli for picks and a 16 year old at deadline and build around the 3 or 4 16 year olds. If foster comes back next year as an OA trade him for picks too and then you guys are loaded with picks and young talent the next few years.

It is tough to do that much and maintain a strong culture. I don’t believe in totally bottoming out. If Ottawa were to trade both Pinelli and Mews, it would gut the roster too much IMO, especially after dealing Gardiner. You need enough talent and leadership to develop all those young guys.

BUT BUT BUT, I understand your point. Building around the ‘08s would be a decent plan. The ‘07 class isn’t that great other than potentially Nelson. Whitehead may turn out ok but it is tough when your 1st rounder defects. Basically relying on Whitehead, Nelson, Yanni, and Dietsch. I am not sure there is an impact player in that group. Maybe Nelson? I think you need an impact 19 year old so when that group falls into the 2026-27 season, I am not sure that would be a contender year which means you are hoping three of those four return as OA’s for the 2027-28 season. That said, the new rink could be ready to go for 2027-28.

If the 67’s were to use your plan and snag extra picks and one or two more ‘08s, who would they be looking at? So many defected players this year, especially on contenders. Teams that have players that may choose to trade them:
Barrie - Parker Vaughn
Flint - Cole Zurawski
Erie - Tyler Challenger
Oshawa - Brady Smith
Saginaw - Damian Zhilkin

With likely those five teams as the only possible teams looking to contend that have 1st round picks (I doubt Hawery waives his NTC if he signs in London), does Ottawa have the players that could garner that type of return? I think Mews as an 18 year old is capable. Maybe Pinelli but if Misa, Romani, and Barlow all become available, I’d imagine those three surge ahead of Pinelli. And if Misa becomes available, Saginaw isn’t a contender which means their first rounder doesn’t become available.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Have to wonder if Musty and Dvorsky come available.
There could be a surplus of good players available at the deadline which in my opinion could lower the trade value or Pinelli potentially.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
There could be a surplus of good players available at the deadline which in my opinion could lower the trade value or Pinelli potentially.

Musty will be available you have to think. I think Dvorsky is in the same vote as Kasper Halttunen.

Both should be in the AHL this year.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
If Mews is moved would London be a destination?
London is a possible destination for literally every single player in the league every season. lol.
Keep an eye on Niagara acquiring Mews in exchange for a catering deal supplied by Ottawa to flip him to London for some bitcoin.
Icedogs are actively on the hunt for Subway platters for training camp.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I highly doubt Dvorsky returns since he is eligible for AHL. But, like you said, Pinelli may be too far down the list of available wingers to garner a ‘08 1st. With both Kingston and Brampton having defect 1st rounders, it really elevates the value of the first rounders for the contenders willing to part with them.

Because Mews is a two year player, I can see a ‘08 first in a deal for him but right now, I am unsure Ottawa is positioned in such a way to get two ‘08s. They’d have a better shot at getting an ‘09 1st for Mews next season to be honest. I doubt the trade value for Mews this year would be significantly different than next year.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Looks like Ekberg just signed

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Nice to ses Ekberg sign. I' m always nervous until they put pen to paper. With Gardiner traded it's shaping up as a development year which I'm fine with. I predict that Whitehead will surprise this year with an increased opportunity at center.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Nice to ses Ekberg sign. I' m always nervous until they put pen to paper. With Gardiner traded it's shaping up as a development year which I'm fine with. I predict that Whitehead will surprise this year with an increased opportunity at center.
With any luck, Whitehead comes in around 5’11” 170. The added size will really help. I think at that size with his skill, he can make an impact in a 3rd line role and gain some confidence. Then he can shoot up from there.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It is tough to do that much and maintain a strong culture. I don’t believe in totally bottoming out. If Ottawa were to trade both Pinelli and Mews, it would gut the roster too much IMO, especially after dealing Gardiner. You need enough talent and leadership to develop all those young guys.

BUT BUT BUT, I understand your point. Building around the ‘08s would be a decent plan. The ‘07 class isn’t that great other than potentially Nelson. Whitehead may turn out ok but it is tough when your 1st rounder defects. Basically relying on Whitehead, Nelson, Yanni, and Dietsch. I am not sure there is an impact player in that group. Maybe Nelson? I think you need an impact 19 year old so when that group falls into the 2026-27 season, I am not sure that would be a contender year which means you are hoping three of those four return as OA’s for the 2027-28 season. That said, the new rink could be ready to go for 2027-28.

If the 67’s were to use your plan and snag extra picks and one or two more ‘08s, who would they be looking at? So many defected players this year, especially on contenders. Teams that have players that may choose to trade them:
Barrie - Parker Vaughn
Flint - Cole Zurawski
Erie - Tyler Challenger
Oshawa - Brady Smith
Saginaw - Damian Zhilkin

With likely those five teams as the only possible teams looking to contend that have 1st round picks (I doubt Hawery waives his NTC if he signs in London), does Ottawa have the players that could garner that type of return? I think Mews as an 18 year old is capable. Maybe Pinelli but if Misa, Romani, and Barlow all become available, I’d imagine those three surge ahead of Pinelli. And if Misa becomes available, Saginaw isn’t a contender which means their first rounder doesn’t become available.
Not convinced we should write off the 07's in term of not having impact players. I do agree Nelson has that potential. I also think Whitehead has the skating and skill to be very impactful and don't forget he was essentially a first rounder. I also liked a lot what I saw of Yanni and I think he will be a solid player although less likely to be impacful ( not sure what the criterias for impacful are...matter of opinion. For me it would be top five goalie in league, top 6 center/wing and top pairing D). As for Dietsch I think he will be a solid shutdown guy at worse. Anyway just my two cents, heck it's september time to be optimistic!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not convinced we should write off the 07's in term of not having impact players. I do agree Nelson has that potential. I also think Whitehead has the skating and skill to be very impactful and don't forget he was essentially a first rounder. I also liked a lot what I saw of Yanni and I think he will be a solid player although less likely to be impacful ( not sure what the criterias for impacful are...matter of opinion. For me it would be top five goalie in league, top 6 center/wing and top pairing D). As for Dietsch I think he will be a solid shutdown guy at worse. Anyway just my two cents, heck it's september time to be optimistic!

Impact would be a Team Canada level 19 year old. I think most teams that are tru Championship contenders have at least one Team Canada or Team USA player that the team leans on when it needs a boost. I don’t think any of those players outside of potentially Nelson that would be that guy. We’d need a skater that has that sort of impact. That means we’d likely need to acquire it. I’d prefer we had it on roster already and not need to acquire a key impact player and only really need depth and secondary type players to fill gaps but it is what it is.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I doubt it. I think it was more a case of the player wanting out. He kinda slipped down the depth chart. I know part of it was due to injury but I think that Jack Dever was likely to start the season ahead of him. Filip Ekberg isn't a random 07 import but the highest profile draft eligible Swede to play OHL in years. He comes in with plenty of pro experience. Whitehead is likely to get a chance down the road and I do think that Barlow (or a trade for a different top Center) is still a possibility. This trade was about doing Gardiner a favour.

I'm not sure if the 67's are gonna go all in next season. I think a wait and see approach is more likely. They need to find out what they have in Nelson etc. I don't think a development year is the plan though. I think the 67's are gonna want to remain competitive.

Reactions: NoQuit67s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad