Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
It is tough to do that much and maintain a strong culture. I don’t believe in totally bottoming out. If Ottawa were to trade both Pinelli and Mews, it would gut the roster too much IMO, especially after dealing Gardiner. You need enough talent and leadership to develop all those young guys.

BUT BUT BUT, I understand your point. Building around the ‘08s would be a decent plan. The ‘07 class isn’t that great other than potentially Nelson. Whitehead may turn out ok but it is tough when your 1st rounder defects. Basically relying on Whitehead, Nelson, Yanni, and Dietsch. I am not sure there is an impact player in that group. Maybe Nelson? I think you need an impact 19 year old so when that group falls into the 2026-27 season, I am not sure that would be a contender year which means you are hoping three of those four return as OA’s for the 2027-28 season. That said, the new rink could be ready to go for 2027-28.

If the 67’s were to use your plan and snag extra picks and one or two more ‘08s, who would they be looking at? So many defected players this year, especially on contenders. Teams that have players that may choose to trade them:
Barrie - Parker Vaughn
Flint - Cole Zurawski
Erie - Tyler Challenger
Oshawa - Brady Smith
Saginaw - Damian Zhilkin

With likely those five teams as the only possible teams looking to contend that have 1st round picks (I doubt Hawery waives his NTC if he signs in London), does Ottawa have the players that could garner that type of return? I think Mews as an 18 year old is capable. Maybe Pinelli but if Misa, Romani, and Barlow all become available, I’d imagine those three surge ahead of Pinelli. And if Misa becomes available, Saginaw isn’t a contender which means their first rounder doesn’t become available.
Yanni and Nelson are going to be 2 great OHLers, whitehead and Dietsch should be half decent. Not sure if any get drafted. My guess would be maybe Yanni and Nelson but it’s tough to say. Got those 2 guys along with the 2 08 first rounders and I know you guys don’t like bottoming out but it doesn’t make sense to have 2 good 07’s, 2 good 08’s and 2 good 09’s ( if you saved mews for next year and traded at deadline you’d get a 16 year old obviously)

In my opinion would be better to have the 2 good 07s along with 2 decent ones obviously with whitehead and dietsch, then potentially 3 or 4 08 first rounders and a ton of picks to go with it. Then keeping foster until next year and trading him for picks and then building around the core 6-8 would be great probably. Keep in mind you’ll still have Marelli probably when he is an OA. Then 2026/27 and 2027/28 you have 2 great teams again.

Brady smith on Oshawa, Dimian Zhilkin on Saginaw, Tyler Challenger on Erie, Logan Hawery on London, Aiden O’Donnell on Brantford may be some options. Again they may not get traded but those are some 16 year olds on top teams that I believe should be buying and they may consider trading one of those guys for the right piece.

Don’t think Zurawski gets traded unless flint gets Barlow but I think it’s pretty safe to say that it’s looking more and more like Vaughan will be traded for Barlow. So didn’t have those 2 included.

However if Mews AND Pinelli got traded to flint hypothetically I’m sure zurawski would be in that package with probably a 17 year old and lots of picks. James Boyd has lots of options here I’m sure if they choose to do a full scale rebuild.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Musty will be available you have to think.
100% agree. Although Sudbury may want to push the chips in. It’s probably not a smart year to do so. They wont get any higher than 3rd in their division and realistically the 2 best teams in the whole east may be in the central with Brampton and Barrie (and it hurts to say that with the fronts probably going all in and may even win the east division)
think Dvorsky is in the same vote as Kasper Halttunen.

Both should be in the AHL this year.
100%. Dvorsky was easily one of the best players in the whole league last year. Very good offensively. Was a first round pick too before even coming to the O’ and he is signed to the AHL. Don’t see a scenario where he is back.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yanni and Nelson are going to be 2 great OHLers, whitehead and Dietsch should be half decent. Not sure if any get drafted. My guess would be maybe Yanni and Nelson but it’s tough to say. Got those 2 guys along with the 2 08 first rounders and I know you guys don’t like bottoming out but it doesn’t make sense to have 2 good 07’s, 2 good 08’s and 2 good 09’s ( if you saved mews for next year and traded at deadline you’d get a 16 year old obviously)

In my opinion would be better to have the 2 good 07s along with 2 decent ones obviously with whitehead and dietsch, then potentially 3 or 4 08 first rounders and a ton of picks to go with it. Then keeping foster until next year and trading him for picks and then building around the core 6-8 would be great probably. Keep in mind you’ll still have Marelli probably when he is an OA. Then 2026/27 and 2027/28 you have 2 great teams again.

Brady smith on Oshawa, Dimian Zhilkin on Saginaw, Tyler Challenger on Erie, Logan Hawery on London, Aiden O’Donnell on Brantford may be some options. Again they may not get traded but those are some 16 year olds on top teams that I believe should be buying and they may consider trading one of those guys for the right piece.

Don’t think Zurawski gets traded unless flint gets Barlow but I think it’s pretty safe to say that it’s looking more and more like Vaughan will be traded for Barlow. So didn’t have those 2 included.

However if Mews AND Pinelli got traded to flint hypothetically I’m sure zurawski would be in that package with probably a 17 year old and lots of picks. James Boyd has lots of options here I’m sure if they choose to do a full scale rebuild.

I don’t see Brantford tossing their hat int he ring unless it is for Mews and only because the price now is similar to next year so may as well get him now.

I do sort of like the multi-player package concept but not if it is Mews and Pinelli. Both are strong enough to stand ont heir own. I think adding pieces to Pinelli makes more sense. If there is a team lacking goaltending and they have an open OA spot, maybe a Pinelli/MacK deal would make more sense…

Reactions: frontsfan67

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I doubt it. I think it was more a case of the player wanting out. He kinda slipped down the depth chart. I know part of it was due to injury but I think that Jack Dever was likely to start the season ahead of him. Filip Ekberg isn't a random 07 import but the highest profile draft eligible Swede to play OHL in years. He comes in with plenty of pro experience. Whitehead is likely to get a chance down the road and I do think that Barlow (or a trade for a different top Center) is still a possibility. This trade was about doing Gardiner a favour.

I'm not sure if the 67's are gonna go all in next season. I think a wait and see approach is more likely. They need to find out what they have in Nelson etc. I don't think a development year is the plan though. I think the 67's are gonna want to remain competitive.
I agree they plan to be competitive but that does not preclude a development year. Imo they should use this year to develop the young players and avoid making short term moves..l.e. Barlow or a 19y.o. center. Now will they do that, I don't know and you may end up being right as I'm certainly not an insider. However it would be a bit foolish imo to make moves solely for the coming season. For the first time in a while we've got three legit homegrown talents at center Ekberg/Whitehead/Amidovsky. Let them develop and I do think with the current team we will be competitive just not a contender this year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree they plan to be competitive but that does not preclude a development year. Imo they should use this year to develop the young players and avoid making short term moves..l.e. Barlow or a 19y.o. center. Now will they do that, I don't know and you may end up being right as I'm certainly not an insider. However it would be a bit foolish imo to make moves solely for the coming season. For the first time in a while we've got three legit homegrown talents at center Ekberg/Whitehead/Amidovsky. Let them develop and I do think with the current team we will be competitive just not a contender this year.
I'm not an insider either but I'm pretty sure they're gonna do something just for next season. The only question for me is how much they're gonna do. If I had to guess I'd say they're gonna replace Gardiner and Mews (if the rumors about him wanting out are right) to make sure they've got enough quality in key positions. I think Barlas is gonna get shipped out as well because he'd get passed over in the depth chart anyway and they have to make space for the likes of Whitehead, Yanni and Amidovski. Then they're gonna wait and see what happens. If the team does well enough they're gonna go out to get additional help.

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I don’t see Brantford tossing their hat int he ring unless it is for Mews and only because the price now is similar to next year so may as well get him now.
That’s what I was implying. They could work on their defence and sell off mews next year for some of the picks they trade off this year.
I do sort of like the multi-player package concept but not if it is Mews and Pinelli. Both are strong enough to stand ont heir own. I think adding pieces to Pinelli makes more sense. If there is a team lacking goaltending and they have an open OA spot, maybe a Pinelli/MacK deal would make more sense…
MacK should get some interest right up there with Liam Sztuska. Those are definitely the top tier OA goalies if both are made available. Parsons on Kitchener is good too but not as good imo.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I doubt it. I think it was more a case of the player wanting out. He kinda slipped down the depth chart. I know part of it was due to injury but I think that Jack Dever was likely to start the season ahead of him. Filip Ekberg isn't a random 07 import but the highest profile draft eligible Swede to play OHL in years. He comes in with plenty of pro experience. Whitehead is likely to get a chance down the road and I do think that Barlow (or a trade for a different top Center) is still a possibility. This trade was about doing Gardiner a favour.

I'm not sure if the 67's are gonna go all in next season. I think a wait and see approach is more likely. They need to find out what they have in Nelson etc. I don't think a development year is the plan though. I think the 67's are gonna want to remain competitive.

I think that is accurate. The issue is the landscape they will fit into. If we look at the 67’s in a microcosm, sure. They could be a better than average team. But, with Brampton, Barrie, and potentially Oshawa sitting there foaming at the mouth, I am not sure Ottawa fits into the competitive landscape this season.

I think the wait and see approach is perfect. It will give them some much needed time to survey the landscape. See what players end up returning to what teams. See whether it ends up being a buyers or sellers market. Then they see how they fit in.

I think they likely stay mostly status quo and if the market dictates it is wise to sell Pinelli, then they do so at the deadline.

Reactions: Hinterland

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That’s what I was implying. They could work on their defence and sell off mews next year for some of the picks they trade off this year.

MacK should get some interest right up there with Liam Sztuska. Those are definitely the top tier OA goalies if both are made available. Parsons on Kitchener is good too but not as good imo.

In fairness, there is a significant gap between MAcK and Sztuska provided MacK is healthy. There were a lot of signs suggesting he was going to get a team canada invite and then he got himself injured. Even on the Between Barber Poles episode they mentioned him losing out on a chance at Team Canada.

If healthy, MacK is top 3 in the league regardless of age. His numbers two seasons ago when he was healthy were outrageous and he wasn’t getting the easy games as the backup either. Ottawa had a strong team but still he was great. Last year he started out on fire winning games all by himself until he had the groin issue that he couldn’t shake all season.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
In fairness, there is a significant gap between MAcK and Sztuska provided MacK is healthy. There were a lot of signs suggesting he was going to get a team canada invite and then he got himself injured. Even on the Between Barber Poles episode they mentioned him losing out on a chance at Team Canada.
My argument for that would be- would Sztuska be as good as MacK on the Ottawa team last year? He already had a better save % on a FAR weaker defensively and overall team than the Pete’s. Also like you said health becomes a factor. Sztuska has been pretty healthy his whole career- can’t say the same about Mackenzie.
If healthy, MacK is top 3 in the league regardless of age. His numbers two seasons ago when he was healthy were outrageous and he wasn’t getting the easy games as the backup either.
He was also on a 107 point team. You guys were completely stacked. He did have good numbers but think about the quality of chances- were you guys better last year or the year before for that?
Ottawa had a strong team but still he was great. Last year he started out on fire winning games all by himself until he had the groin issue that he couldn’t shake all season.
Which would set an alarm off for teams interested. Instead those teams may pivot to the guy who was better last year and has mem cup and deep ohl playoff run experience with sztuska. Petes were giving up 40 shots a game most games last year and he played 44 of them

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think that is accurate. The issue is the landscape they will fit into. If we look at the 67’s in a microcosm, sure. They could be a better than average team. But, with Brampton, Barrie, and potentially Oshawa sitting there foaming at the mouth, I am not sure Ottawa fits into the competitive landscape this season.

I think the wait and see approach is perfect. It will give them some much needed time to survey the landscape. See what players end up returning to what teams. See whether it ends up being a buyers or sellers market. Then they see how they fit in.

I think they likely stay mostly status quo and if the market dictates it is wise to sell Pinelli, then they do so at the deadline.

I agree.

They're gonna wait and see how Nelson does. I think Ekberg will be a key factor as well. He may be young but he's as high profile of an import as you can possibly get. He dominated the Swedish J20 last season and has 20+ pro games under his belt. He'll need adjustment time but if everything goes well he could be a true top6 Center as early as this season. Jack Dever proved he's capable holding down 3C on a contender at the very least. Nicolas Whitehead is likely and widely expected to take a step forward, too. If the 67's go out to get a replacement for Gardiner (I think they're looking for a 1C, whether that's Barlow or not) and if Ekberg hits quickly then they're gonna be really strong and deep upfront, especially down the middle. If Nelson hits as well then all they're gonna need is a couple of defensemen and a righty goal scoring winger and I think they'd be right up there with the teams you mentioned.

A lot of if's and that's why I think (and hope) that they're gonna be patient but if things go right then I don't think they're too far away.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My argument for that would be- would Sztuska be as good as MacK on the Ottawa team last year? He already had a better save % on a FAR weaker defensively and overall team than the Pete’s. Also like you said health becomes a factor. Sztuska has been pretty healthy his whole career- can’t say the same about Mackenzie.

He was also on a 107 point team. You guys were completely stacked. He did have good numbers but think about the quality of chances- were you guys better last year or the year before for that?

Which would set an alarm off for teams interested. Instead those teams may pivot to the guy who was better last year and has mem cup and deep ohl playoff run experience with sztuska. Petes were giving up 40 shots a game most games last year and he played 44 of them
If you want a kid that can win games by himself, you go with MacK. Plain and simple. Of course, do your due diligence on the health aspect. If you feel good about where he sits health wise, he’d be there best goalie on the market, better than Leenders for sure.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree.

They're gonna wait and see how Nelson does. I think Ekberg will be a key factor as well. He may be young but he's as high profile of an import as you can possibly get. He dominated the Swedish J20 last season and has 20+ pro games under his belt. He'll need adjustment time but if everything goes well he could be a true top6 Center as early as this season. Jack Dever proved he's capable holding down 3C on a contender at the very least. Nicolas Whitehead is likely and widely expected to take a step forward, too. If the 67's go out to get a replacement for Gardiner (I think they're looking for a 1C, whether that's Barlow or not) and if Ekberg hits quickly then they're gonna be really strong and deep upfront, especially down the middle. If Nelson hits as well then all they're gonna need is a couple of defensemen and a righty goal scoring winger and I think they'd be right up there with the teams you mentioned.

A lot of if's and that's why I think (and hope) that they're gonna be patient but if things go right then I don't think they're too far away.

I don’t think they have the horses regardless of how well they hit with the question marks. Gardiner is likely their 3C. And there would be a gap between him and the two top 6 guys (Jelsma and Beaudoin). Akey missed pretty much the entire season. Their top 3 D right now is better than Ottawa without even a question. Actually, probably not all that close.

When you compare Ekberg, Dever, and Whitehead to Jelsma, Beaudoin, and Gardiner, it is actually not a discussion. Even if Ekberg proves to be solid, it would be pretty tough to put him ahead of any of those three guys. That means Ottawa would likely need to acquire two top Centres.

Brampton is stacked as well. Good size, great hoaltwnding. Decent back end. Still have an OA spot open.

Oshaw returns Ritchie who’s probably the top centre in the league, Oster who is a top 3 goalie, big and bad defence. Senneke on the wing. Potentially Roobroeck returns and if he does, no one can contain him. They will be scary.

Ottawa is small and nowhere near as top heavy as any of those three teams. On top of that you have Kingston who is poised to make a run as well.

The landscape is really tough. Ekberg would need to be a sure fire top of 1st round NHL pick calibre player. Pinelli would need to be Team Canada top two line player calibre. Nelson would need to be rookie of the year. Mews would need to figure out a way to play defence. Whitehead would need to be impactful. On top of all that, Boyd would need to add players at a reasonable price. Even after all of that, I am not sure it would be nearly enough, especially considering those teams I mentioned are still poised to add at least two more elite players each.

If some of those things prove to be possible, I think next years team has a lot of promise.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don’t think they have the horses regardless of how well they hit with the question marks. Gardiner is likely their 3C. And there would be a gap between him and the two top 6 guys (Jelsma and Beaudoin). Akey missed pretty much the entire season. Their top 3 D right now is better than Ottawa without even a question. Actually, probably not all that close.

When you compare Ekberg, Dever, and Whitehead to Jelsma, Beaudoin, and Gardiner, it is actually not a discussion. Even if Ekberg proves to be solid, it would be pretty tough to put him ahead of any of those three guys. That means Ottawa would likely need to acquire two top Centres.

Brampton is stacked as well. Good size, great hoaltwnding. Decent back end. Still have an OA spot open.

Oshaw returns Ritchie who’s probably the top centre in the league, Oster who is a top 3 goalie, big and bad defence. Senneke on the wing. Potentially Roobroeck returns and if he does, no one can contain him. They will be scary.

Ottawa is small and nowhere near as top heavy as any of those three teams. On top of that you have Kingston who is poised to make a run as well.

The landscape is really tough. Ekberg would need to be a sure fire top of 1st round NHL pick calibre player. Pinelli would need to be Team Canada top two line player calibre. Nelson would need to be rookie of the year. Mews would need to figure out a way to play defence. Whitehead would need to be impactful. On top of all that, Boyd would need to add players at a reasonable price. Even after all of that, I am not sure it would be nearly enough, especially considering those teams I mentioned are still poised to add at least two more elite players each.

If some of those things prove to be possible, I think next years team has a lot of promise.

I'm convinced that Ekberg is a true 1st round caliber prospect. For me, the only question is how much time he's gonna need to adjust. That might not happen over night. Smaller ice, different culture etc. Lots of imports get home sick as well. Ekberg is 07 born. He might need time. Therefore, I don't see the 67's going into next season with Ekberg as 1C. I like Jack Dever but he's more of a 2C, more of a 3C on a contender. I thought there was a chance of the 67's betting on Gardiner to hold down 1C to start the season if they thought that last season was just an outlier due to injuries etc. While he did get passed and outplayed by Dever last season I also think that Gardiner is more reliable defensively and therefore a better fit if you're looking for a shutdown 1C. Now that Gardiner is gone I'm pretty sure they're gonna replace him with a true 1C. I don't know what they're willing to spend but I think a Barlow type of guy would be what they're looking for. With a true 1C, Ekberg, Whitehead, Dever and Amidovski the 67's would be very deep down the middle if Ekberg is as good as I think and if the other young guys improve as expected.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm convinced that Ekberg is a true 1st round caliber prospect. For me, the only question is how much time he's gonna need to adjust. That might not happen over night. Smaller ice, different culture etc. Lots of imports get home sick as well. Ekberg is 07 born. He might need time. Therefore, I don't see the 67's going into next season with Ekberg as 1C. I like Jack Dever but he's more of a 2C, more of a 3C on a contender. I thought there was a chance of the 67's betting on Gardiner to hold down 1C to start the season if they thought that last season was just an outlier due to injuries etc. While he did get passed and outplayed by Dever last season I also think that Gardiner is more reliable defensively and therefore a better fit if you're looking for a shutdown 1C. Now that Gardiner is gone I'm pretty sure they're gonna replace him with a true 1C. I don't know what they're willing to spend but I think a Barlow type of guy would be what they're looking for. With a true 1C, Ekberg, Whitehead, Dever and Amidovski the 67's would be very deep down the middle if Ekberg is as good as I think and if the other young guys improve as expected.

Barlow is a winger so he’s out.

If they want a true #1C then the price tag is likely Amidovski at the deadline. Boyd won’t do that. Any player of lessor calibre that they ancquire that only goes for draft picks likely won’t be impact enough.

They’ve had the luxury in the past of open OA and Import slots where you can fill holes with OA’s. Hypothetically speaking, they could do that with Wakely. They’d have to lop the head off one of their OA’s though. So it makes it more of a sideways move trying to fill a higher level need.

IMO, if Ekberg is as good as you say and I have no reason to believe otherwise based on the hype surrounding him, then the best move is to simply shift some assets forward, stay somewhat respectable and make the playoffs this year. Keep a solid core moving forward. A potential roster next year could look like:

Foster(OA) - Ekberg - Korbler
Yanni - Dever(OA) - Horner(OA)
Hilton - Amidovski - Kelly
XXX - Perrier - XXX

Marrelli - Mews
Dietsch - Brady
Eshkawkogan - Bonomo

Nelson

Considering we are a full year out and we likely add a young player or two to that mix in trades this year, that isn’t too bad. Potential OA upgrades possible as well. Add some picks to help bolster that roster. I think we stand a better chance next year to be honest. Brantford would be the main competition. Maybe Brampton still stays in contention. The Petes may start to nudge their way back in. Regardless, a bigger open door. That is for sure.

The key is to not drop too far in the standings where it feels like a full rebuild.

@Scout ughhh I didn’t say he wasn’t going to trade I actually stated he could end up closer to home lol back to the drawing board buddy

And he is from Barrie so that seems pretty spot on to be honest.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

If they want a true #1C then the price tag is likely Amidovski at the deadline. Boyd won’t do that. Any player of lessor calibre that they ancquire that only goes for draft picks likely won’t be impact enough.

They’ve had the luxury in the past of open OA and Import slots where you can fill holes with OA’s. Hypothetically speaking, they could do that with Wakely. They’d have to lop the head off one of their OA’s though. So it makes it more of a sideways move trying to fill a higher level need.

IMO, if Ekberg is as good as you say and I have no reason to believe otherwise based on the hype surrounding him, then the best move is to simply shift some assets forward, stay somewhat respectable and make the playoffs this year. Keep a solid core moving forward. A potential roster next year could look like:

XXX - Perrier - XXX

Marrelli - Mews
Dietsch - Brady
Eshkawkogan - Bonomo

Nelson

Considering we are a full year out and we likely add a young player or two to that mix in trades this year, that isn’t too bad. Potential OA upgrades possible as well. Add some picks to help bolster that roster. I think we stand a better chance next year to be honest. Brantford would be the main competition. Maybe Brampton still stays in contention. The Petes may start to nudge their way back in. Regardless, a bigger open door. That is for sure.

The key is to not drop too far in the standings where it feels like a full rebuild.

We'll see. If I had to guess I'd say they're gonna geplace Gardiner with somebody at least as good in order to start the season ahead of Ekberg. I could be wrong but I just don't see the 67's wanting to start the season with Ekberg as the 1C. He does have that kinda upside but he's 07 born and joining from Sweden. That has to be taken into consideration.

Last edited:

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Weird how a guy that counts shots supposedly knows all this eh 😂
Pump the breaks big boy, you still count shots after your 9-5 hate to break it to you but you are still not a scout and you still hide behind the keyboard thinking you are one.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Pump the breaks big boy, you still count shots after your 9-5 hate to break it to you but you are still not a scout and you still hide behind the keyboard thinking you are one.

I have no idea why you think I have anything to do with counting shots but have at er.
Whatever makes you feel good man.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

XXX - Perrier - XXX

Marrelli - Mews
Dietsch - Brady
Eshkawkogan - Bonomo

Nelson

qUESTION WHERE DOYOU SEE WHITEHEAD?

No matter what this is a rebuild year. I see Pineli gone by the deadline.

It is possible that we will get a young player, but you never know.

I see next year as a continuation of the rebound and the 67s getting back into the playoff hunt, but I do not see it as a go-all-in year.

We do not have the big offence guns on this team and probably will not next year. It is going to take time for some of the kids.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
qUESTION WHERE DOYOU SEE WHITEHEAD?

No matter what this is a rebuild year. I see Pineli gone by the deadline.

It is possible that we will get a young player, but you never know.

I see next year as a continuation of the rebound and the 67s getting back into the playoff hunt, but I do not see it as a go-all-in year.

We do not have the big offence guns on this team and probably will not next year. It is going to take time for some of the kids.

There are a few stages to go through before we can truly understand where this team stands. First, boyd will likely want to see some things unfold before this is truly a rebuild year. You put a finger on Whitehead. Plus there is Ekberg. We may have a player in Dever. We obviously want to see the rookie class to see what kind of fire they have in them. That will take a bit of time.

So, as we’ve discussed, it is likely Boyd doesn’t do anything irrational either way until closer to the deadline after he’s had a chance to see what unfolds. Additionally, he needs to see if he has to fill in any big gaps. For example, if the rookie clas sis weak, he may need to prioritize bodies in return instead of dat picks etc.

The second stage is understanding what he has as veterans returning next year. That will take pretty much the entire season. That assessment will go a long way towards whether next season is likely to be prosperous or not. I don’t think anyone could honestly say one way or the other considering all the variables involved with this team right now.

So, I think it is premature to say much of anything other than it is so far fetched this team has any sort of chance of contending. I think it would be a great achievement if we found a way to finish in the 4-5 seed and win a round, even if we get swept in round 2! But, a playoff series win is a playoff series win. If it doesn’t cost us anything except not getting a trade return for Pinelli, maybe that is a win? With so many top flute wingers potentially available, it may be tough to get a fair and reasonable return for Pinelli. If we were to get a similar return to what we jsut got for Gardiner, should we trad him or keep him? Taht is tough question to answer.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa

James Boyd’s interview from this morning.

Only four OA’s in camp…they like their team and feel that there are players ready to take the next step…

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

James Boyd’s interview from this morning.

Only four OA’s in camp…they like their team and feel that there are players ready to take the next step…

Certainly lots of good prospects ready to take the next step. However, I still think the Gardiner trade was more about helping the player than the 67's feeling like they've got too many experienced Centers.

Boyd is not gonna go on record saying he's desperately looking for a Center but they're definitely scanning the market. I think that talent wise, Dever/Ekberg/Whitehead/Amidovski would be an excellent group of Centers but the problem is that Dever is the only one with OHL experience. The Coaches could have given Whitehead more than a few games last season and it would be a different story but that didn't happen. Barlas I think is more likely to be on his way out than to be a real C option.

It would be a huge opportunity for the kids so it could work as well but if you're struggling with adjustments, it's definitely easier to play down the depth chart. If the kids don't find their feet immediately you'd be stuck with Dever playing half of the games. If something happens to Dever you're just in trouble.

We'll see. I still think they're gonna replace Gardiner (and Mews should he get traded) but I'm not surprised to hear Boyd talk about the wait and see approach. I think that's what we all figured out already. I don't see them adding much right now.

Last edited:

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Certainly lots of good prospects ready to take the next step. However, I still think the Gardiner trade was more about helping the player than the 67's feeling like they've got too many experienced Centers.

Boyd is not gonna go on record saying he's desperately looking for a Center but they're definitely scanning the market. I think that talent wise, Dever/Ekberg/Whitehead/Amidovski would be an excellent group of Centers but the problem is that Dever is the only one with OHL experience. The Coaches could have given Whitehead more than a few games last season and it would be a different story but that didn't happen. Barlas I think is more likely to be on his way out than to be a real C option.

It would be a huge opportunity for the kids so it could work as well but if you're struggling with adjustments, it's definitely easier to play down the depth chart. If the kids don't find their feet immediately you'd be stuck with Dever playing half of the games. If something happens to Dever you're just in trouble.

We'll see. I still think they're gonna replace Gardiner (and Mews should he get traded) but I'm not surprised to hear Boyd talk about the wait and see approach. I think that's what we all figured out already. I don't see them adding much right now.
They also haven't utilized Dever at C much if i remember correctly he's played almost all of his games on the wing in Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad