Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Did MacK get an invite to a rookie camp
I was just going to ask if there is a list of who is off to Rookie Camp(s) this week. I'm sure the club will put one out on social media eventually. It is such an odd time of year - all of a sudden, about half a dozen guys from your team go off for about two weeks, and then come back, although some CHL teams end up a little shorthanded for their first few games if some of their guys linger to the very end of NHL camps.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was just going to ask if there is a list of who is off to Rookie Camp(s) this week. I'm sure the club will put one out on social media eventually. It is such an odd time of year - all of a sudden, about half a dozen guys from your team go off for about two weeks, and then come back, although some CHL teams end up a little shorthanded for their first few games if some of their guys linger to the very end of NHL camps.

I think many draft age players are gone. Each NHL team does a Rookie camp and then a tournament of some kind and they only use prospects not their Minor league guys. It is rare to see a player over the age of 22 participating in the Rookie Camps. So, they need to pilfer the Junior leagues. I think Ottawa has at least eight players participating in NHL Rookie Camps:

MacKenzie
Mayich
Mews
Marrelli
Foster
Gerrior
Hilton
Pinelli

It is important to note that the Rookie camps usually last for 5-7 days including some form of tournament. Then most players are released back to Junior. I imagine the undrafted guys like MacK, Marrelli, Gerrior, and Hilton will be released right away. It is likely that Foster and Mews also get reassigned right away. Pinelli may go to the NHL camp and Mayich may get reassigned to the AHL camp for an extended look. But, I imagine we’ll get everyone other than Mayich and Pinelli back by the next exhibition game.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
I lack confidence in DC and can actually see him when he can just use 2 lines in the third period.

I am hoping that Boyd and DC realize what they have compared to what others have and decide that it is better to develop for the future than try to be a top 4 team.

Heaven help us if the team gets off to a good start and someone (Kingston) is a little slow off the mark
:deadhorse

Reactions: BarberPole9

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009

Attachments

• 1725998601900.png
    1725998601900.png
    773.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Hilton needs this year to prove 3 things.

1. he can skate
2. he can dominate as a power force with hits and playing either in the corners or in front of the net.
3. He can be a current version of Lance and do what ever the coach sends him out on the ice to do.

If DC is smart, he might put Hilton on the PP and make him a force in front of the net. With his size, it will take a lot out of the defence to move him and block a lot of the goalies' vision.

It's clear that Boston sees potential in Hilton, otherwise, he wouldn't have been invited to the camp. This is a strong indication of his value and the team's interest in his development.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I hope for the best for all the players and their development. I especially hope the two big boys show they have the chops to play in the league. I hope Whitehead asserts himself this season.

Most of all, I hope DC take a development approach this year as opposed to a focus on winning. I hope Boyd is realistic for their chances of being an impact team and will be willing to move graduating players into better positions for them and for assets that help improve the future. I hope they can do all of that without bottoming out and missing the playoffs. I think it is important not to completely bottom out. The draft pick would be nice but they have to keep enough of the core to ensure culture continuity.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I hope for the best for all the players and their development. I especially hope the two big boys show they have the chops to play in the league. I hope Whitehead asserts himself this season.

Most of all, I hope DC take a development approach this year as opposed to a focus on winning. I hope Boyd is realistic for their chances of being an impact team and will be willing to move graduating players into better positions for them and for assets that help improve the future. I hope they can do all of that without bottoming out and missing the playoffs. I think it is important not to completely bottom out. The draft pick would be nice but they have to keep enough of the core to ensure culture continuity.
definitely agree with you although missing the playoffs would not be the worst thing. I think the next 2 years are going to show what Boyd and DC can do.

They do not have the stud first line to rely on that Boyd and DC really had since they got here.

This is a team that is going to take time, practice patience, and develop in order to be competitive. It is also going to need drafting that brings in the talent necessary to achieve success.

If we have a bad year this year and mediocre next year, but Boyd and DC are able to build a top-tier team that is going to compete for a few years, it will be worth it.

But we are about to find out how good a GM and coach we have.,

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
definitely agree with you although missing the playoffs would not be the worst thing. I think the next 2 years are going to show what Boyd and DC can do.

They do not have the stud first line to rely on that Boyd and DC really had since they got here.

This is a team that is going to take time, practice patience, and develop in order to be competitive. It is also going to need drafting that brings in the talent necessary to achieve success.

If we have a bad year this year and mediocre next year, but Boyd and DC are able to build a top-tier team that is going to compete for a few years, it will be worth it.

But we are about to find out how good a GM and coach we have.,

I disagree about the first line. Pinelli is basically a 50 goal scorer and Foster can pot 30. We may be missing an elite level centre but I am sure someone will either emerge or will be added that can complement those two. The question really comes starting at line #2 and then again even more when we get to line #3.

If we were to trade Pinelli and Foster at the deadline (or before) that would definitely make it difficult to do much. However, if Ekberg proves capable, I don’t think they would leave him wingerless even if just for his development. I could see them keeping both Pinelli and Foster specifically if Ekberg is capable. Probably not my decision but I could see them do it.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I disagree about the first line. Pinelli is basically a 50 goal scorer and Foster can pot 30. We may be missing an elite level centre but I am sure someone will either emerge or will be added that can complement those two. The question really comes starting at line #2 and then again even more when we get to line #3.

If we were to trade Pinelli and Foster at the deadline (or before) that would definitely make it difficult to do much. However, if Ekberg proves capable, I don’t think they would leave him wingerless even if just for his development. I could see them keeping both Pinelli and Foster specifically if Ekberg is capable. Probably not my decision but I could see them do it.
I was talking about next year sorry for not being clear. I agree that if no one jumps up and takes the lead of the team they will keep either Foster or Pinelli but I don't think they can afford tokeep both and will definitely lose Pinelli in 25=26 season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was talking about next year sorry for not being clear. I agree that if no one jumps up and takes the lead of the team they will keep either Foster or Pinelli but I don't think they can afford tokeep both and will definitely lose Pinelli in 25=26 season.

I think Ekberg can be a good #1 centre. The question for sure is scoring on the wings.

It is actually kind of funny really. This year we are not confident down the middle but are confident on the wings. Next year, with Whiteahd in year 3, Ekberg in year two and the potential of returning Dever as an OA, we look to be fine down the middle but with Foster potentially graduating, and both Pinelli and Gerrior 100% graduating, we may be hard pressed on the wings. IT will be dependent heavily on the rookies this year to step up and get some strong development time in to prepare fo r next year. We will rely heavily on the likes of Hilton, Houben, Perrier, Yanni, Amidovski etc.

I definitely like the looks of the 2026-27 team a little more than the 2025-26 team. It is a shame that Mews wouldn’t be on that team but Marrelli is lining up to be a strong OA candidate.

Amidovski - Ekberg -
Yanni - Whitehead -
Perrier -
Houben -

Dietsch - Eshkawkogan
Marrelli(OA) -
Bonomo-

Nelson
Conway

Room for two OA’s and an IMPORT. Also, if we do trade Pinelli, we likely get a good prospect to plug into that mix. Plus, next year’s draft picks that will be the 17 year old contingent of that roster. It has some decent teeth depending on the development this season. I’d love to figure out a way to pry Parker Vaughn away from Barrie at the deadline. I doubt that we could do it but it would be a big coup if we could. Also, if Boyd could find a way of adding Vandenberg to the roster and get him signed, it would be another great coup.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think Ekberg can be a good #1 centre. The question for sure is scoring on the wings.

It is actually kind of funny really. This year we are not confident down the middle but are confident on the wings. Next year, with Whiteahd in year 3, Ekberg in year two and the potential of returning Dever as an OA, we look to be fine down the middle but with Foster potentially graduating, and both Pinelli and Gerrior 100% graduating, we may be hard pressed on the wings. IT will be dependent heavily on the rookies this year to step up and get some strong development time in to prepare fo r next year. We will rely heavily on the likes of Hilton, Houben, Perrier, Yanni, Amidovski etc.

I definitely like the looks of the 2026-27 team a little more than the 2025-26 team. It is a shame that Mews wouldn’t be on that team but Marrelli is lining up to be a strong OA candidate.

Amidovski - Ekberg -
Yanni - Whitehead -
Perrier -
Houben -

Dietsch - Eshkawkogan
Marrelli(OA) -
Bonomo-

Nelson
Conway

Room for two OA’s and an IMPORT. Also, if we do trade Pinelli, we likely get a good prospect to plug into that mix. Plus, next year’s draft picks that will be the 17 year old contingent of that roster. It has some decent teeth depending on the development this season. I’d love to figure out a way to pry Parker Vaughn away from Barrie at the deadline. I doubt that we could do it but it would be a big coup if we could. Also, if Boyd could find a way of adding Vandenberg to the roster and get him signed, it would be another great coup.
It is safe to say that the future is in the hands of Boyd to find the players and DC to develop them. If this team is not competitive, it is not going to be the kid's fault.

OA next year

Barlas
Horner
Foster

oa following year

Brady
marelli
Mews
Kelly
Korbler ( although I see him not coming back for it)
Hilton

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Hearing there is ongoing chatter of a Mackenzie & Dever to flint trade. Nothing done yet may not get done but can confirm there is action happening we will see what happens Ottawa asking price for Mack is pretty heavy at this point

Fawlty

Dec 16, 2023
I can understand the need to replenish draft stocks but if this happens, I hope that such a trade would involve a player back to Ottawa to meet a need, i.e. a centre of equal or better skill.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hearing there is ongoing chatter of a Mackenzie & Dever to flint trade. Nothing done yet may not get done but can confirm there is action happening we will see what happens Ottawa asking price for Mack is pretty heavy at this point

That does not seem right; Flint has three OAs already, an NHL drafted ‘05 goalie, and plenty of RW.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Unless some how Nathan Day wants out. This would make very little sense. It would also take multiple moves to make this work out and balance the roster for Flint.

Traded for Collins and Konyen as OA's this summer, returning Brendan Smith as an OA D. They are still holding out a little hope Coulson Pitre gets returned. (That's a dream IMO)

RW with Konyen, Thibodeau, Kostov, and 1st round pick Zurawski.

Agree completely with @dirty12

Reactions: Savard18

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Unless some how Nathan Day wants out. This would make very little sense. It would also take multiple moves to make this work out and balance the roster for Flint.

Traded for Collins and Konyen as OA's this summer, returning Brendan Smith as an OA D. They are still holding out a little hope Coulson Pitre gets returned. (That's a dream IMO)

RW with Konyen, Thibodeau, Kostov, and 1st round pick Zurawski.

Agree completely with @dirty12

Yes, I agree it would be a head scratcher for sure. The Nathan Day part of that deal as a future domino that would need to fall on their end makes this one seem odd. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen, just that Flint needs a plan for Day.

Flint also traded for tow OA’s in Konyen and Collin’s already in the Sudbury deal. On top of that, Pitre is a pretty good player, as is Smith. Pitre may not return for an OA season though.

All of that said, I am NOT a Nathan Day fan. I think he is overrated. On top of that, after dealing OA’s last year they flipped a bunch of the assets back to other teams for other OA’s making it almost redundant. The GM in Flint is a bit of a wildcard on the trade front.

The other thing is it may be possible that Nathan Day comes back to Ottawa as part of the deal and Flint sees MacK as more of a game changer type goalie than Day. Mack is that type of goalie if healthy. His health is really the only concern.

The Dever part would be interesting. I think he is pencilled in at centre. But, if Lombardi would be a centrepiece of that deal, I would be happily surprised. Keep in mind, Boyd would be looking to replace Gardiner and Lombardi would do quite nicely as a 17 year old. That is for certain.

Funny things have happened to start the preseason. This would be another one!

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Yes, I agree it would be a head scratcher for sure. The Nathan Day part of that deal as a future domino that would need to fall on their end makes this one seem odd. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen, just that Flint needs a plan for Day.

Flint also traded for tow OA’s in Konyen and Collin’s already in the Sudbury deal. On top of that, Pitre is a pretty good player, as is Smith. Pitre may not return for an OA season though.

All of that said, I am NOT a Nathan Day fan. I think he is overrated. On top of that, after dealing OA’s last year they flipped a bunch of the assets back to other teams for other OA’s making it almost redundant. The GM in Flint is a bit of a wildcard on the trade front.

The other thing is it may be possible that Nathan Day comes back to Ottawa as part of the deal and Flint sees MacK as more of a game changer type goalie than Day. Mack is that type of goalie if healthy. His health is really the only concern.

The Dever part would be interesting. I think he is pencilled in at centre. But, if Lombardi would be a centrepiece of that deal, I would be happily surprised. Keep in mind, Boyd would be looking to replace Gardiner and Lombardi would do quite nicely as a 17 year old. That is for certain.

Funny things have happened to start the preseason. This would be another one!
If McParlan traded Lombardi, he should be fired. That would make even less sense than trading Day for Mackenzie.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If McParlan traded Lombardi, he should be fired. That would make even less sense than trading Day for Mackenzie.

Yeah, Flint probably won’t trade Lombardi or Pitre; maybe Martin and another player if Pinelli goes the other way. Anderson might be expendable.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I talked to Jack Devers family this afternoon after I seen this. (Assuming you tagged me because you know he’s a family friend)

No one has said a word to him about it but they also don’t need permission to trade him as he’s done school.
Wondering if there’s a 3 way in the works here as Flints OA situation……….

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad