Confirmed Trade: [OTT/SJ] Erik Karlsson and Francis Perron for Tierney, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers, 1st, 2nd, cdnl picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
The Sharks better go "all in" this year.... I don't think EK signs long term there....

If he goes to UFA, prepare for another bidding war....
I think by the TDL, the Sharks will have a good idea of EKs intentions and there’s no way they let him go for free.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
To be fair..what did San Jose get? A one season window to win a Cup and 10 months of exclusive negotiation rights. It's not nothing, but they could easily lose early again with EK and EK could easily opt for free agency then (I think he'd be a fool not to given his marketability). There's a reason the return isn't anything franchise-changing..because EK may very well not be franchise-changing for San Jose either.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Interestingly with Patches and Karlsson moving, the Pacific division just got a whole lot stronger, while the Atlantic got even more top-heavy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This could in a round about way make Justin Braun available and I'm already driving Connor Brown to the airport

I'm not sure that it does at this point. They have the Cap Space for this year, and need someone on the Right Side who can play D. Would Brown even make them better? Maybe start a thread and ask their fans?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Man this is ugly. No 2019 1st. And they didn’t even acquire a prospect better than a Shane Bowers who was supposedly a “throw in” on the Duchene trade which flew under the radar after Turris and the 1st they gave up.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
To be fair..what did San Jose get? A one season window to win a Cup and 10 months of exclusive negotiation rights. It's not nothing, but they could easily lose early again with EK and EK could easily opt for free agency then (I think he'd be a fool not to given his marketability). There's a reason the return isn't anything franchise-changing..because EK may very well not be franchise-changing for San Jose either.
They got the best defenseman the NHL has seen since Lidstrom.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
At least the conditions were strong. Per CapFriendly

2019 conditional 2nd round pick*
2020 conditional 1st round pick**
2021 conditional 2nd round pick***
conditional 1st round pick****

Conditions: *2019 2nd round pick is the higher of the two picks the Sharks currently own: Panthers and their own.
**Ottawa receives Sharks 2019 1st round pick if Sharks do not make the playoffs. If Sharks make the playoffs, Ottawa receives Sharks 2020 1st.
***Sens receive Sharks 2021 2nd round pick if Karlsson is re-signed. The selection upgrades to a 2021 1st if Sharks reach the Stanley Cup final in 2019.
****Sens receive a 1st RD pick from the Sharks (no later than 2022) if Karlsson is on an Eastern Conference roster (reserve list) during the 2018-19 season.

So, if Sharks... for some odd reason... are not looking like they'll make the playoffs and decide to sell Karlsson at the deadline (as many have mentioned) then most Eastern Conference teams would be out because if they trade him there it's another 1st pick to Ottawa no later than 2022. I feel like Ottawa, and everyone else involved, already knows he isn't going to extend there and they were at least smart enough to set those little conditional pieces up to maximize on a rental.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Wow.....Habs got more for Pacioretty.
yeah but patches signed an extension. something agreed when the trade was made, hence the higher return. karlsson imo doesnt stay and no extension signed which is why the return was lackluster

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I dont see how this is a bad trade for the Sens.

They got back a recent 2017 1st rounder, s 2019 1st and 2nd, 25 year old Tierney coming off a 40pt year, a 24 year old defenseman coming off a shortened 20pt year and two lottery players for ONE season of Erik Karlsson.

Tierney and DeMelo had statistically-anomalous good seasons last season on a far superior San Jose squad. They're fairly old, won't be there for when the Senators bloom. Speaking of which, the only prospect of note was Josh Norris, who hasn't exactly lit the AHL on fire. The picks will be low.

These are spare parts.

As an Avs fan, I am happy for the 2019 Ott pick we have, but also can't relate to this predicament for Ottawa considering they have a really bad team and no pick, a situation Avs have not been in. It will be a long rebuild with rising cynicism in the fanbase.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
So the Sharks better get it done this year.... I think there wont be another shot if they manage to fail this season....

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
At least the conditions were strong. Per CapFriendly

2019 conditional 2nd round pick*
2020 conditional 1st round pick**
2021 conditional 2nd round pick***
conditional 1st round pick****

Conditions: *2019 2nd round pick is the higher of the two picks the Sharks currently own: Panthers and their own.
**Ottawa receives Sharks 2019 1st round pick if Sharks do not make the playoffs. If Sharks make the playoffs, Ottawa receives Sharks 2020 1st.
***Sens receive Sharks 2021 2nd round pick if Karlsson is re-signed. The selection upgrades to a 2021 1st if Sharks reach the Stanley Cup final in 2019.
****Sens receive a 1st RD pick from the Sharks (no later than 2022) if Karlsson is on an Eastern Conference roster (reserve list) during the 2018-19 season.

So, if Sharks... for some odd reason... are not looking like they'll make the playoffs and decide to sell Karlsson at the deadline (as many have mentioned) then most Eastern Conference teams would be out because if they trade him there it's another 1st pick to Ottawa no later than 2022. I feel like Ottawa, and everyone else involved, already knows he isn't going to extend there and they were at least smart enough to set those little conditional pieces up to maximize on a rental.

Those conditions mean nothing. All San Jose has to do is get a little bit better of a deal than a 1st rounder and they make a the trade anyways. SJ receives 1st rounder + 2nd roounder from Toronto. SJ gives ottawa 1st rounder and keeps the 2nd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad