Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] G Linus Ullmark signs extension with the Ottawa Senators (4 years, $8.25M AAV)

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Colorado won with Kuemper. He had consistently put up several .910 SV%+ seasons before going there, and they traded a top prospect + 1st rounder to get him.

That's not what you trade for a "whatever" goalie. They traded a haul because they thought he was a top goalie, and he provided them with a .921 SV% and cup win.

He wasn't someone they grabbed off waivers.

I'll give you Hill, though.

No. The Avs traded a 1st + Timmins to get Kuemper because they were fully committed to re-signing Grubauer, and got caught with their pants down when he signed with Seattle and were therefore forced to overpay for the best/only "whatever" goalie that was available. It was either that, or go into the season with Francouz, who missed the entire previous season due to injury, as the only NHL caliber goalie on the roster.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Huge overpayment. Ottawa is a cemetery for goalies, RIP to your stats Ullmark.

I'll take Adin Hill for $5M with ease, a goalie who took his team to a cup compared to Ullmark who folds up like a cheap suit in the playoffs. But Ottawa won't be sniffing the playoffs in the next 4 years so it won't matter for Linux anyways.

Sens had to overpay, Ullmark wasn't going to sign there with discounts.
Ah a goalie playing behind a team 10m over the cap built upon a bunch of 2-way forwards and a superb d core is a great comp to Ottawa's situation.

I am not totally sold on Ullmark being a top 10 goalie but I totally understand Ottawa's thinking here.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
If OTT is getting who they hope they’re getting, this is a decent deal. If it turns out that he actually is just a “system goalie,” then woof.

Not sure I understand the urgency to do this before he plays a single game
Is Swayman also a system goalie? Why is one considered top talent and the narrative for the other is that he benefits from a system.

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
The whole point I said is that Boston is very friendly system wise to their goalies and he wasn’t some unflappable monster in Buffalo. Therefore this isn’t exactly a sure thing.

Again for the third time, I’m sure this will be fine and you have to do it if you’re Ottawa. But I could see him not living up to this number
Is Swayman also not elite and benefiting from Boston’s system?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I feel like this is both a good signing and possibly a bad deal.

Ottawa needs a solid goalie to go with the core they have committed to. Ullmark has had a solid run and looks like he could be the answer.

On the other hand, there is no discount here at all and possibly even a premium. This is what certain markets have to do to attract and retain top talent. If it turns out that Ullmark was largely a product of Boston's system, or if age catches up with him, or if he can't handle a heavy workload then this could become the worst contract on the Sens' cap.

I think it was a risk they had to to take and there is a chance it works out for a few years.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I feel like this is both a good signing and possibly a bad deal.

Ottawa needs a solid goalie to go with the core they have committed to. Ullmark has had a solid run and looks like he could be the answer.

On the other hand, there is no discount here at all and possibly even a premium. This is what certain markets have to do to attract and retain top talent. If it turns out that Ullmark was largely a product of Boston's system, or if age catches up with him, or if he can't handle a heavy workload then this could become the worst contract on the Sens' cap.

I think it was a risk they had to to take and there is a chance it works out for a few years.
This is essentially what I’ve been saying. Ottawa absolutely will not get a better chance at a goalie but I think it’s gonna be hard for Ullmark to live up to this.

That being said if they make the playoffs this year it’s probably worth it to them just for that alone

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Everyone was complaining Swayman doesn't have enough starts. His career high are 43 and 41.
Ullmark's career high is 49 and 39.

Yet crickets about Ullmark's ability to play the bulk of the games. I'd have to guess his 49 starts are the lowest by a Vezina in the last 10 years.

I think both will be good deals. Ullmark will be worse on Ottawa because of their team but thats the nature of the beast. Both deals will be fine.

Reactions: RogerRogerr

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
This is essentially what I’ve been saying. Ottawa absolutely will not get a better chance at a goalie but I think it’s gonna be hard for Ullmark to live up to this.

That being said if they make the playoffs this year it’s probably worth it to them just for that alone
Agreed.

I believe Ottawa is a much improved team this year with Ullmark, hopefully some health, and continued growth and development of key pieces. There adds were solid also.

Having said this, a lot needs to break their way to make the playoffs. They probably need 20 more points to be in the conversation and that's a lot. It is a tough division also. Maybe this is the year five teams from the Atlantic make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad