Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] G Linus Ullmark signs extension with the Ottawa Senators (4 years, $8.25M AAV)

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Colorado won with Kuemper. He had consistently put up several .910 SV%+ seasons before going there, and they traded a top prospect + 1st rounder to get him.

That's not what you trade for a "whatever" goalie. They traded a haul because they thought he was a top goalie, and he provided them with a .921 SV% and cup win.

He wasn't someone they grabbed off waivers.

I'll give you Hill, though.

No. The Avs traded a 1st + Timmins to get Kuemper because they were fully committed to re-signing Grubauer, and got caught with their pants down when he signed with Seattle and were therefore forced to overpay for the best/only "whatever" goalie that was available. It was either that, or go into the season with Francouz, who missed the entire previous season due to injury, as the only NHL caliber goalie on the roster.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Huge overpayment. Ottawa is a cemetery for goalies, RIP to your stats Ullmark.

I'll take Adin Hill for $5M with ease, a goalie who took his team to a cup compared to Ullmark who folds up like a cheap suit in the playoffs. But Ottawa won't be sniffing the playoffs in the next 4 years so it won't matter for Linux anyways.

Sens had to overpay, Ullmark wasn't going to sign there with discounts.
Ah a goalie playing behind a team 10m over the cap built upon a bunch of 2-way forwards and a superb d core is a great comp to Ottawa's situation.

I am not totally sold on Ullmark being a top 10 goalie but I totally understand Ottawa's thinking here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad