Confirmed Trade: [OTT/BOS] Linus Ullmark for Mark Kastelic, Joonas Korpisalo (25% retained), 2024 BOS 1st round pick

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Okay some context is needed. Ullmark's GSAA was in the negatives on the Sabres. Sabres were awful, but they played a system back then that limited high quality chances while allowing a shit ton of volume, which naturally inflates a goalie's save percentage. Lehner had an excellent save percentage on the Sabres ffs.
Lehner had a great sv% 1 year with sabres and 1 okay.- but lehner also had great sv%s with senators, islander, blackhawks, and vegas bwfore his last season on an injured hip, so i dont think using a goalie who had a great sv% everywhere he went is a good argument for team inflating the sv%

Also ullmarks gsaa was in negatives 1 year on sabres, the 2018-2019 season where he had .905 sv%

He had positive gsaa his last 2 years there and for buffalo overall.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Ullmark was in control of where he could be traded and also what trade value coming back for him could also cancel the trade. Obviously Ottawa put in a lowball contract offer with years tacked on to get him to agree to come here. He's betting on himself. If he shits the bed with no contract in place he risks millions. He thinks coming to Ottawa maximizes his next paycheck. There are other teams in the eastern conference looking for a goalie that finished way above Ottawa last year he could have picked.

Either he's waiting to see what happens in the first half of he wants to see what other changes the team is going to make.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Brady had tears in his eyes tonight, both for his brother and his new starting goaltender.

Ullmark at this stage in his career may be the best goaltender the Ottawa Senators have ever had.

• Haha
Reactions: Inno

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I like this trade for Boston. Seems like good asset management. The Sens definitely needed a goalie last year. If they can sign Ullmark (and he performs well in Ottawa) then it will be a good trade for them. Draft on Friday!! Off-season should heat up pretty quick!!

Reactions: The don godfather

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Not having to take on (or buyout) 75% of 4 more years of Korpisalo's contract. The 1st is like the payment for that alone.

Basically gave Ullmark for free.
Donny betting on korpi playing like his Columbus days. With the system the bruins play and their excellent goaltending coaching I wouldn't be surprised he puts better numbers then linus. Linus is gonna get shelled with the way the sens play. Let's see.

Reactions: CDN24

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Donny betting on korpi playing like his Columbus days. With the system the bruins play and their excellent goaltending coaching I wouldn't be surprised he puts better numbers then linus. Linus is gonna get shelled with the way the sens play. Let's see.
If the goaltending performance is because of the B's system, it makes even less sense to take on another goalie with a long-term contract. Just sign some other platoon-type for cheap and reap the rewards of "the system".

It would've made more sense to trade Ullmark for literally nothing and just had the cap space available, than do this.

Reactions: SNES and BronxBruin

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I’m no goaltending expert, but even I could see that Korpisalo has terrible fundamentals. Just way too much movement and losing his net.

Kastelic was a huge disappointment last year as well. Guy played like he was a 12 year vet with 60M in the bank already.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Oof for now, but I think Boston might somehow laugh the loudest in the long run.

If they successfully fix Korpisalo, imagine what asset they'll get for him retained to 1.5-2 mil AAV with term from a cap strapped team needing a backup.

japurple01

Apr 19, 2014
Boston probably did a crappy deal to not take salary back so they could be more aggressive in FA
Plus I always wonder about teams getting their own firsts back--they need those picks available as compensation should they take a run at an RFA...

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Which columbus days? The .877 save% with a 4.15gaa days? Or did you mean the .894 3.30? Or maybe you meant .897 3.32, or did you have that confused with his other .897 season that was 2.95 gaa.
His columbus days are littered with terrible goaltending, and throughout his career he has been brutal way more often than he has been even average.
But who knows, maybe it's Lasik that will turn him around.

Reactions: The don godfather

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
ullmark will be shit without boston's defense and korpisalo will be good again thanks to boston's defense. good job by boston realizing there is no difference between the two goalies and getting a first round pick out of it

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
ullmark will be shit without boston's defense and korpisalo will be good again thanks to boston's defense. good job by boston realizing there is no difference between the two goalies and getting a first round pick out of it
No difference between the goalies? Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad