Confirmed Trade: [OTT/BOS] Linus Ullmark for Mark Kastelic, Joonas Korpisalo (25% retained), 2024 BOS 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Korpisalo as your number 1 is not good. As your number 2 behind Swayman? That's ideal.

Plus Kastelic is going to be a typical Bruin. 6ft 4, heavy and fights and only 25. He could end up being there a while.

Good for Ottawa to pick up a legit goalie too.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Yeah Boston is obviously betting on Korpisalo being good in their defensive system and possibly undervalueing Ullmark in the same sense. We've seen it many times, average goalies coming out of bad teams look elite in top teams and vice versa. Will be extremely interesting to see how this plays out. I think this is a pretty low risk move for Ottawa, they hardly gave up anything. The only risk is if they extend Ullmark to a long 6-7m contract and he's a sub .900sv% goalie in Ottawa.

Reactions: The don godfather

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Bruins win this deal after a year shakes out . The killer might be if they hit on that 1st round pick. Korpi and kastelic might be very useful players. Korpi is 30 which isn't that bad in terms of age wise and has had flashes of elite goaltending in jacket days. Kastelic only 25 big bodied guy who finds his game might be a solid 3rd or 4th liner. If linus doesn't hit his elite level in Ottawa or he leaves after a year Bruins looking good here.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
got out of most of the korpisalo contract and would likely recoup all their costs and maybe a bit more.
The scenario where Ottawa's bad enough to be out of it by the TDL, and still be able to trade a pure rental Ullmark for more than a late 1st is basically non-existant. And they would still be sitting there with 3 more years of salary retained and no #1 goalie. It's not about going +/- 0 on trades, it's about building a team.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Ullmark is no longer in Buffalo because he became a UFA and didnt want to re-sign. He took them to arbitration the year prior and walked of his own volition.

Korpisalo didnt suck because of Ottawa’s D, every single statistic available supports that. And Ullmark’s success was not due to a stalwart Bruins team - especially not this last season. Again, every single statistic available supports that.
Free them from whom?

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
ullmark will be shit without boston's defense and korpisalo will be good again thanks to boston's defense. good job by boston realizing there is no difference between the two goalies and getting a first round pick out of it

Well, for one thing one is Finnish and one is a Swede (Cue, Heartbreak Ridge).

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Bruins win this deal after a year shakes out . The killer might be if they hit on that 1st round pick. Korpi and kastelic might be very useful players. Korpi is 30 which isn't that bad in terms of age wise and has had flashes of elite goaltending in jacket days. Kastelic only 25 big bodied guy who finds his game might be a solid 3rd or 4th liner. If linus doesn't hit his elite level in Ottawa or he leaves after a year Bruins looking good here.
If there's no extension than Boston wins and the sens just traded another 1st only to see the player leave. Odd trade all around TBH.

Reactions: The don godfather

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
The scenario where Ottawa's bad enough to be out of it by the TDL, and still be able to trade a pure rental Ullmark for more than a late 1st is basically non-existant. And they would still be sitting there with 3 more years of salary retained and no #1 goalie. It's not about going +/- 0 on trades, it's about building a team.
well duh. my comment was saying that there is almost no risk or downside to ottawa in this trade.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
For 1 year of linus what do you think they could get ? This isnt a bad haul.

Are you joking? They took on 4 years of one of the most negative value assets in the sport, a fringe fourth liner, and their own pick late in the first of a bad draft. Contracts like Korpisalo's are immovable and if they do move, they usually cost more than a 1st rounder to move. Sweeney himself has paid more than that to get rid of ONE year of Backes. So they gained a 4th line player (they now have 5 on the roster, all requiring waivers), and $1.1m in cap space.

It's an atrocious "haul." He would have been better off WAIVING Ullmark because the cap space could have been used to sign a player with a far likelier chance to return surplus value than a pick with a less than 35% chance to play 100 NHL games.

Now Sweeney has $6m worth of contracts on 2 below replacement level players from his last 2 trades. What a f***ing mess.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
well duh. my comment was saying that there is almost no risk to ottawa in this trade.
The risk is locking yourself into 4 years of salary retention, losing futures (even if you get them back later it's much more valuable to have them NOW), and ending up only getting a rental for it.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
The risk is locking yourself into 4 years of salary retention, losing futures (even if you get them back later it's much more valuable to have them NOW), and ending up only getting a rental for it.
that's a sunk cost. the alternative is having tried nothing and still have korpi at $4m. i struggle to see the downside for ottawa

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Korpisalo one of worst goalies this season Kastlic who some ahl player and low first round pick. That is horrible deal for Boston o_O

Reactions: Blinny

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
Think Korpisalo will have good season as backup on a well-structured team. It's a win for Ottawa but it's not that terrible for the Bruins.

Reactions: swiftwin

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I love this!!!! This is the guy I wanted the Sens to get for awhile now :D

Now they need to get a 3rd line center and some wingers

also fire travis green

• Haha
Reactions: OmniSens

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Reality is most people thought it would take a 1st for the Sens to move Korpi.

Instead, they moved him AND got a #1 goalie back. Good piece of business to undo a mistake.

But fwiw, I think Korpi will do better in Boston

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
People trying to pump up Kastelic as anything but a 4th liner are really telling on themselves.

Reactions: Sens9292

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Keep hearing about the defensive Bruins.

People realize they had a higher expected goals against than the Sens, yes? And more shots against.

Difference is, Boston had 2 very good goalies patrolling the crease, and Ottawa had legitimately 2 of the worst goalies in the entire 2023-24 NHL season between the pipes. There were probably 40 goals this season that were WTF was that territory.

They gave up a goal on the first 2 shots of the game like 25 times. You’re down 1-0 about 2-3 minutes into the game over a quarter of your season.

Korpisalo couldn’t return to the Sens, they couldn’t start the season with him on their roster. If you had told me yesterday that we could give Boston their 1st to take him, I would have had to think long and hard. There is a reason he was highlighted as one of the most likely guys to be bought out this year.

I’m absolutely astounded they were able to give Korp away.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
ullmark will be shit without boston's defense and korpisalo will be good again thanks to boston's defense. good job by boston realizing there is no difference between the two goalies and getting a first round pick out of it
Ullmark was just fine with buffalos defense. Hes not a product of boston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad