Confirmed Trade: [OTT/BOS] Linus Ullmark for Mark Kastelic, Joonas Korpisalo (25% retained), 2024 BOS 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The idea that Ullmark was going to get substantially more than Markstrom was always odd to me. Before either was traded, I could have understood either one getting more than the other, or both of them getting very similar returns.
Markstrom is under contract for 2 more years at age 34-36. Ullmark is 31 in July so under contract until he’s 32. Last shot to make money but how long term do you pay a goalie walking through the door when he begins it at age 32. 4,5,6 years? To take him to 36-38?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Ullmark is younger and better. Yet even if you take out Korpisalo, Calgary got a better return. The fact that Boston had to take on a cap dump yet should be a firable offence

Ullmark is younger but is either a rental or is going to get a long term deal that I don't know how eager I'd be to pay. I'd also wager that despite his trade clause not being as restrictive as Markstrom's, it was far more restrictive in practical application. Markstrom wanted out of Calgary more than he wanted to go to New Jersey. I don't know that Ullmark wanted to leave Boston, and if he was going to, it was probably going to be the team of his choosing.

Reactions: Chrispy

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ullmark is younger but is either a rental or is going to get a long term deal that I don't know how eager I'd be to pay. I'd also wager that despite his trade clause not being as restrictive as Markstrom's, it was far more restrictive in practical application. Markstrom wanted out of Calgary more than he wanted to go to New Jersey. I don't know that Ullmark wanted to leave Boston, and if he was going to, it was probably going to be the team of his choosing.
What does that even mean haha?

Markstrom had a NMC, like are you suggesting Ullmark picked all the teams that he'd be a start to put on his no trade list?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
What does that even mean haha?

Markstrom had a NMC, like are you suggesting Ullmark picked all the teams that he'd be a start to put on his no trade list?
It means that I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary had more real options to move Markstrom than Boston had to move Ullmark.

Yes, I think Ullmark was probably extremely strategic in his NTC selections. 16 teams is damn near a full no trade for a goalie because you can simply ignore the teams that have established studs. Elliotte has been mentioning over the last few days or so on Marek and 32T that players are pretty strategic with these.

Then there's the contract. Even if you found a team that wasn't on Ullmark's NTC, if he is not amenable to an extension, you're selling him as a rental to those people, which may mean they aren't as interested.

Markstrom had a full no move, but he was probably open to trades with multiple teams.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ya I
It means that I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary had more real options to move Markstrom than Boston had to move Ullmark.

Yes, I think Ullmark was probably extremely strategic in his NTC selections. 16 teams is damn near a full no trade for a goalie because you can simply ignore the teams that have established studs. Elliotte has been mentioning over the last few days or so on Marek and 32T that players are pretty strategic with these.

Then there's the contract. Even if you found a team that wasn't on Ullmark's NTC, if he is not amenable to an extension, you're selling him as a rental to those people, which may mean they aren't as interested.

Markstrom had a full no move, but he was probably open to trades with multiple teams.
Ya I call bullshit on that, all reports said he wanted an eastern team and jersey was the top destination

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Except there were also reports that he allowed Calgary to explore other options.

Just because his preferred destination was New Jersey doesn't mean that he was forcing them to move him there.

So that just happened to work out perfectly and Ullmark intentionally sent himself to the biggest goalie graveyard in the NHL

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
So that just happened to work out perfectly and Ullmark intentionally sent himself to the biggest goalie graveyard in the NHL

There are lots of reasons that players pick the places they are willing to play. If he wants to stay on the east, and that's the most important thing to him (geography has been reported as important to him), maybe Ottawa is an okay destination for him he was willing to waive for.

But also very possible that Ottawa isn't on the no trade list (this list was created last year and this would have been after they signed Korpi) and was perhaps the only viable trade partner who wasn't on the list, which would also explain a highly deflated value. Given that it could also just be a rental, that's another reason there may not be much going on here.

Hard to say what was going on behind the scenes, but trade value isn't determined by how good a player is on his own and we clearly see that his value appears to have been diminished by something.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
There are lots of reasons that players pick the places they are willing to play. If he wants to stay on the east, and that's the most important thing to him (geography has been reported as important to him), maybe Ottawa is an okay destination for him he was willing to waive for.

But also very possible that Ottawa isn't on the no trade list (this list was created last year and this would have been after they signed Korpi) and was perhaps the only viable trade partner who wasn't on the list, which would also explain a highly deflated value. Given that it could also just be a rental, that's another reason there may not be much going on here.

Hard to say what was going on behind the scenes, but trade value isn't determined by how good a player is on his own and we clearly see that his value appears to have been diminished by something.

Yes exactly, you have no idea. You're just suggesting that Markstrom would have been traded anywhere even though he controlled it and Ullmark didn't want to go anywhere that wanted him even though he controlled it. Only NM list ever with all the bottom feeders and Canadian teams apparently

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Didn’t Ullmark stop a trade to LA? There were also rumors of him being very picky about his desired location.

I am confused about the trade parameters from both sides. You don’t want to pay a backup 4mil AVV but Ullmark isn’t a workhorse.

Why does Boston want a 4mil backup?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Yes exactly, you have no idea. You're just suggesting that Markstrom would have been traded anywhere even though he controlled it and Ullmark didn't want to go anywhere that wanted him even though he controlled it. Only NM list ever with all the bottom feeders and Canadian teams apparently
I have no idea what you're triggered about.

But good luck with all that

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
How the hell did they get them to take that ABYSMAL Korpisalo contract?

Holy shit, nice work Staios! For real. Too bad they hired Travis Green to be head coach, but this is actually nice work.

Does Boston think they can get Korpisalo to be good or that Bob Essensa can help him?
Love the trade but then I remind myself that Green is the coach lol

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Didn’t Ullmark stop a trade to LA? There were also rumors of him being very picky about his desired location.

I am confused about the trade parameters from both sides. You don’t want to pay a backup 4mil AVV but Ullmark isn’t a workhorse.

There were rumors that he blocked a trade to LA. Bruce G indicated he blocked a trade to NJ, and I think Jimmy Murphy said he blocked a trade to Colorado. So really, nobody seems to know.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
3 m

3 million not bad for a guy who stood on his head on those Columbus playoff runs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad