Confirmed Trade: [OTT/BOS] Linus Ullmark for Mark Kastelic, Joonas Korpisalo (25% retained), 2024 BOS 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Let’s say he gets a late second at the deadline. We would have ended up dumping Korpi and just slid from a late 1st to a late 2nd. Every Sens fan would make that move.
Fair enough, though I do think the salary retained is being undersold.

I'm not big on ceremony but announcing this trade within an hour of game 7 of the cup finals is in incredibly poor taste.
It's in poor taste to have 2 days between the SCF and the draft and free agency.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I'm excited that people think this is good for Ottawa... they need a win.
But is everyone forgetting that Ottawa has to give up a 1st round pick in this deal? That's a pretty major piece.
Compare to losing how many games by 1 goal or not getting a looser point because of letting in an early bad goal? You must be joking. And that goalie is now with Boston. :)

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
Also looking at Ottawa, how has a team that has been bad for years also not had multiple high picks in recent years? They had no 1st, 2nd or 3rd last year and no 1st the year before. They're likely trading a 1st now for Ullmark and have to forfeit a 1st next year or the year after. They also have no 2026 2nd.

Dorion really was a cancer for that team.
Indeed.
I'm not big on ceremony but announcing this trade within an hour of game 7 of the cup finals is in incredibly poor taste.
Nah it is a middle finger to Bettman and that is always nice!

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

mrdomino

Begrudgingly, a Canucks fan
Oct 13, 2020
Seems to me Boston takes a significant downgrade at backup goalie. Korpi stinks
He's a career 1B with fairly decent stats (.901 s%, 3.06 GAA) despite being stuck on God awful Jackets teams and a terrible Sens team.

The one time he played with an "alright" team in LA, he posted .921 and 2.13

He is a perfectly fine goaltender, he's just not the guy you can depend to be a full time starter on teams with porous defensive systems.

The Markstrom trade went from a fair deal to an outright steal after this. What was Boston thinking
I wouldn't be shocked if Ullmark refused to talk extensions with any potential suitor as he wanted to stay in Boston... That would destroy his value as there's no guarantee he sticks around more than the 1 season he's obligated to

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
As a leaf fan. Don’t like this at all. Great trade sens
tenor.gif

Reactions: Morrison and Cynick

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Anyone got a scouting report on Kastelic?
Maroon/tough guy replacement for Boston?

Hopefully Essensa can help Korpi out. He did wonders for Ullmark when he came to Boston. Sucks he’s got a lot of term left tho. At $3mills not the worst, maybe they can salvage him & trade for something later.

Pasta was picked with the 25th pick

That’s about all I got. Was hoping for more coming back.
Good on the face off, won the fitness award in training camp,
When plays hard and uses his size, he’s a good 4th liner, at times wasn’t engaged enough, inconsistent.
Wasn’t a fighter before, but took it up because of size, but doesn’t look for it.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I saw this trade broken on Instagram, came here, and then got reminded that Game 7 was about to start. I was going to put it on eventually but as a neutral who is a bit burnt out on hockey after a long year, this did put me in the mood to turn the game on a little earlier.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Unless you are rebuilding, unlikely to use up all 3 retention spots. SJ the only club out of them before next season begins. Need to wait until July 1, 2025 when Burns contract is off the books officially.

You just spent a first rounder on a goalie. You aren't rebuilding.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You just spent a first rounder on a goalie. You aren't rebuilding.
Sens haven't exactly been hitting on their plans with Dcat and Chrchrun either. But, they don't plan on being in a rebuild in the next 4 seasons.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Nice move for the Sens, wow. At least Bruins got a late 1st back. Korpisalo isn’t that bad at that amount but I’m sure sens are thrilled to be rid of that contract
They arnt rid of that contract, they will be paying a quarter of his contract for 3 more years.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
He's a career 1B with fairly decent stats (.901 s%, 3.06 GAA) despite being stuck on God awful Jackets teams and a terrible Sens team.
The only metric by which the Sens were terrible were isolated goaltending impacts. Korpisalo was atrocious and gave up a huge amount of soft goals on the 1st or 2nd shot of the game. He was the worst starter I’ve seen in a Sens uniform, and thats saying something.

I think Korpisalo will be ok in Boston but he was the biggest problem in Ottawa by far and was routinely outplayed in Columbus. He has been a competent 1B 2 or 3 years out of his 9 years in the NHL

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Ahh I remember when the goalie market had drastically changed from the past and prices would skyrocket compared to historical comps.

Anyway the comps always win

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The idea that Ullmark was going to get substantially more than Markstrom was always odd to me. Before either was traded, I could have understood either one getting more than the other, or both of them getting very similar returns.
Ullmark is younger and better. Yet even if you take out Korpisalo, Calgary got a better return. The fact that Boston had to take on a cap dump yet should be a firable offence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad