OT: Other Sports aka CSU Football Thread XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

umdieecke*

Shields isn't a #1. Scherzer, yes. But I can see Boston also dealing their prospects for Hamels. The Cubs are often discussed when it comes to Hamels but the Cubs mgt has been selling its fanbase on its prospects. I don't see the Cubs doing that. Part of why they went all in on Lester was because it allows them to keep their prospects.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Shields isn't a #1. Scherzer, yes. But I can see Boston also dealing their prospects for Hamels. The Cubs are often discussed when it comes to Hamels but the Cubs mgt has been selling its fanbase on its prospects. I don't see the Cubs doing that. Part of why they went all in on Lester was because it allows them to keep their prospects.

I don't think the Sox are as "willing" to deal their prospects as you may believe...if they were then Hamels would already be a member of the team.

The Phillies GM seems to think that he is going to get a team to take on ALL of the remaining salary (something like 110M over 5 years) AND get 3 Top Prospects from the trading team...that doesn't usually happen in the MLB. If there's a lot of money owed to a player that his team wants to deal then that team can either get out of that contract completely but take back lesser players or they can get back better prospects/players but they have to retain some salary.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Current Pro Football Focus rankings for Broncos:

QB- Peyton Manning (13)
WR - Demaryious Thomas (3) Emmanuel Sanders (7) Wes Welker (74 - Quite the Dropoff)
T - Clady (35) Vasquez (38)
G - Franklin (11) Ramirez (13)
C - Montgomery (19)
TE - Thomas (8)
RB - Anderson (2)

DE - Jackson (10) Ware (16)
OLB - Miller (1) Marshall (3)
DT - Knighton (16) Austin (35)
ILB - Irving (22)
CB - Harris (1) Talib (52) Roby (79)
S - Moore (25) Ward (57)

Obvious strengths of team right now are on the defensive line front 7. OL is doing much better also in recent weeks. Peyton not taking every snap out of shotgun has helped a lot I think.
CJ Anderson is doing incredible. He's slated to only make $600K next year and RFA in 2016. Holdout?
Team really needs a 3rd WR in FA or possibly 2 WR's if they let Thomas go. King busting last year really hurt.
I wouldn't be shocked to see Ward or Talib (or both) let go next year. Ward probably stays just because Moore is UFA.

umdieecke*

Yes, I realize Phillys GM misplayed his hand. And this goes back to last winter. I don't see Boston giving up their 3 top prospects but they'll have to part with at least one of them. Philly might also have to take salary back.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm confused. I thought Welker + Harris this season = ~$10M in cap space.
You're right I was looking at Harris 1st contract and forgot he got an RFA deal this year.

I'm happy with the signing. Question: Unless the Broncos re-do either Manning's and/or Clady's contract, are they going to be able to resign both Thomases?

The PA predicted an $8 million rise in the cap, but the NFL said that was overly generous.

Prior to resigning Harris the Broncos were 8th in the league with available Cap Space for 2015 with about $30M based on the PA's estimate and before any cuts.

Calvin Johnson's Average Salary is $16.2 (it varies each year on the cap the big one is $24M, franchise tagging DMT would be in the range of $12-$13M. So resigning him would probably go in the $15M per range.

Tagging Julius however would cost around $8M. Jimmy Graham is making $10M on average and Gronk $9M, so somewhere below that is the range.

The key would be getting either from hitting the free market.

Peyton might kick some money back elsewhere, but I doubt they ask Clady to renegotiate in after the 2nd year of a deal coming off an injury year. It would be bad form.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Ball goes to IR and Trevathan is back.

Ball is signed through 2016, Hillman through 2015. Both make 500-700k

Malik Jackson is signed for only 660k next year - that's a bargain.

I forgot about it, but I guess Latimer will be playing a hell of a lot more next year. I wonder if Latimer and Sanders were a preclude to letting DT walk. If he wants Megatron money, he's gone. I think it's also telling that the pass offense has been a little rough without JT in there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Lombardi makes it sound like DT is a priority but JT might not be. I can't imagine they won't pay DT but while it would be a shame they might not have JT forever. They could franchise him once though.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Seeing Ball go on IR after a terrible start makes me realize how badly Elway blew it by not drafting Lacey.

I agree with Lombardi that priority has to be DT, then Pot Roast and JT 3rd.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Seeing Ball go on IR after a terrible start makes me realize how badly Elway blew it by not drafting Lacey.

If Elway's biggest draft blunder is a 2nd round dud at a position he found another solution for I'm going to be glass half full about him.

Have a look at the guy who preceded him or if you aren't faint of heart: Dan Reeves.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Elway's biggest draft blunder is a 2nd round dud at a position he found another solution for I'm going to be glass half full about him.

Have a look at the guy who preceded him or if you aren't faint of heart: Dan Reeves.

Oh God...the guy who completely wasted a first rounder for no other reason than to spite the QB he was openly feuding with. It doesn't get any worse than that.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Oh God...the guy who completely wasted a first rounder for no other reason than to spite the QB he was openly feuding with. It doesn't get any worse than that.
There was the 1st round pick McDaniels traded to get a CB in the 2nd round that he would trade in the next offseason.

And yeah we found a good RB in CJ. But good lord Lacey would be a beast here.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
14-15-den-miller-fur.png

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm not sure if I totally get the NFL salary cap calculations, but doesn't dead money come into the calculation?

This season, the Broncos have $119M in contracts, but also have $9M of dead money they're dealing with.

Next season, the Broncos have $108M in contracts (not including Harris), but have only $1M in dead money (so far).

Looking at this, does this mean that the Broncos have gained $19M in possible space (again, not including Harris) - $11M in less salary plus $8M in less dead money?

Am I doing this correctly?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I think you are.

This site has a good look at 2015 without Harris's contract

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap/2015/

I was under the impression though that the Manning deal was reworked, and they could let him go without any dead money in his last two years of his deal. They are showing $25M in dead money if he was released. They're not going to release Peyton but anyways...

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I think you are.

This site has a good look at 2015 without Harris's contract

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap/2015/

I was under the impression though that the Manning deal was reworked, and they could let him go without any dead money in his last two years of his deal. They are showing $25M in dead money if he was released. They're not going to release Peyton but anyways...

Yeah, that's precisely the site I was looking at.

But I don't think that statement about Manning is correct. If they had let him go *this* season, it would have cost $22.5M in dead money. If they release him in 2015, that dead money number goes down to $5M. In 2016, it goes down to $2.5M.

I think. ;)

OK, so let's assume that we have this overall dead money thing right. And let's assume the NFL cap goes up to the $138M on that site. The Broncos would have about $21M in cap space for next season (given Harris does sign a deal that hits the cap at $8.5M per), and have major players like DThomas, JThomas, Knighton to sign, and more 'midrange' players like Moore and Franklin. Not to mention Marshall. All for $21M?

My question: without re-doing either Manning's or Clady's contract, how can they sign both Thomases?

I can see how they could sign DThomas, then perhaps two of the other guys. But how can anything more be done?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Can't really answer that - I mean I think the Broncos are going to have to re-work a lot of things to sustain this run. If Peyton doesn't move off his contract, they definitely will not be able to sign a lot of guys. I see them losing Knighton for sure if DT/JT are signed. If either of them go, I see Knighton staying.

I think Colquitt is gone after this year. A punter making $3M is just obnoxious, but they only recover $1.5M from his deal. Still, that's a lot of dough. Caldwell at $1.35M with $200k dead money? He's maybe gone as well. There's going to be wholesale changes for sure in special teams next year.

I know we say this every year, but April's draft is kind of a crucial one for this organization. I really wish Sly had worked out better and Latimore had more of a role this year. Maybe they step up next year. The Broncos really badly need them to (same could be said for Schofield as well).

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Broncos list of UFA after this year. I didn't realize Franklin was coming up too. Yikes. Irving's on the list too, and Marshall. Brandon's gone - he is going to get paid for sure. They should re-sign Montgomery.

Demaryius Thomas
Wes Welker
Jacob Tamme
Terrance Knighton
Rahim Moore
Orlando Franklin
Nate Irving
Quinton Carter
Virgil Green
Julius Thomas
Steven Johnson
Aaron Brewer
Mitch Unrein
Will Montgomery
Tony Carter
Connor Barth
Brandon Marshall
Ben Garland
Paul Cornick
John Youboty

EDIT - Marshall is a ERFA so we should be able to keep him

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Broncos list of UFA after this year. I didn't realize Franklin was coming up too. Yikes. Irving's on the list too, and Marshall. Brandon's gone - he is going to get paid for sure. They should re-sign Montgomery.

Demaryius Thomas
Wes Welker
Jacob Tamme
Terrance Knighton
Rahim Moore
Orlando Franklin
Nate Irving
Quinton Carter
Virgil Green
Julius Thomas
Steven Johnson
Aaron Brewer
Mitch Unrein
Will Montgomery
Tony Carter
Connor Barth
Brandon Marshall
Ben Garland
Paul Cornick
John Youboty

EDIT - Marshall is a ERFA so we should be able to keep him

I re-did your list, but categorized. What do you think?

Guys we really want to resign:
Demaryius Thomas
Terrance Knighton
Julius Thomas
Brandon Marshall
Orlando Franklin

Guys that would be nice to resign, but not critical:
Virgil Green
Rahim Moore
Steven Johnson
Will Montgomery

Guys that don't matter, are easily replaced, or are simply too expensive:
Wes Welker
Nate Irving (as long as Marshall is signed)
Aaron Brewer
Mitch Unrein
Tony Carter
Connor Barth
Ben Garland
Paul Cornick
John Youboty
Quinton Carter
Jacob Tamme

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The ERFA means I think we just have to offer Brandon Marshall a $500K or so contract and he can only negotiate with us. He's staying.

Your list is dead on. I really don't like Franklin a lot but losing him and not getting a solid replacement is scary. You take off one of DT/JT and maybe get Peyton to cough up some dough though and a lot of those signings look a lot more realistic. I don't sign Franklin for anything over $3M.

I also cut Chris Clark - they can recoup a good amount on his contract. Clark, Caldwell, and Colquitt - gone. Schofield will have to contribute next year.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There was the 1st round pick McDaniels traded to get a CB in the 2nd round that he would trade in the next offseason.

Alphonso Smith. Seattle used that pick to take Earl Thomas.

Simultaneously a contender for the worst Draft pick and Worst Trade in team history.

The good news with this year's draft is with all the free agent departures from last season the Broncos are in line for a good comp pick.

Chris Clark has to be on the cut list and Man Ram could be another if Franklin gets signed.

Does anyone wish we still had Decker and Knowshon under contract?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Does anyone wish we still had Decker and Knowshon under contract?

Not at all. I actually think Knowshon would have made a HUGE difference on Miami this year though, and he would have been a legit #1 RB on that team (and made Miami almost a playoff team). I was really high on him. With the injury I'm not so sure now. But I think Knowshon definitely turned the corner and was going to be just as successful with/without Broncos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad