OT: Other Sports aka CSU Football Thread XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We only played well on the road against division opponents (and only won those games save for the Jets one which many felt like we easily could have lost). Which usually that's a trade off one might take but its concerning. Maybe because those games are easier to get up for, I don't know. Cincy isn't a bad team but how many times do we have to crap the bed on the road before its a problem? We'll beat Indy or whoever at home, I'm not really worried about that. Everything has been leading up to that game in New England for months now, they better start thinking now how they are going to win that one but its not even about winning it, how are they not going to get bent over and flat out embarrassed in that game like they have the at least half a dozen last times they've been there.

The Broncos are a good team, they have the talent on both sides of the ball but something is missing. I can see some of it is coaching but maybe they don't have a real leader, an emotional leader, someone who can put the team on their back and drag them into the end zone. They have had good games and nice wins but have any of them felt particularly emotional? Maybe its the collection of mercenaries thing (which I understand most contending NFL teams need to a certain extent) but Manning just isn't an emotional center for this team or fanbase. He's a legend but he doesn't bleed orange, there is a big difference. Some of it you can't expect him to do the impossible and erase most of his career for the memory banks but the other hand is I just don't think he's that player that is going to drag everyone to the finish line with him.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, Indy and Cincy do not worry me at all. Pittsburgh scares the hell out of me though. I'm not gonna worry about the 6th seed because we wouldn't play them unless they beat Indy/Cincy/Pitt and NE on the road.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
special teams were slaughtered and the ILB position was exposed big time (counters, screen passes, etc - all LB responsibilities)

I really don't like Gase. I just don't see the hype at all about him? Maybe someone can explain and help me out with that.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Clady, Talib, and Ward making the pro bowl proves just how awful that process is.

At least Talib is amongst the CB lead leaders in interceptions. But Clady? He's been very, very mediocre for most of this season.

As we go into the playoffs, all of that is noise though. The big deal is that Peyton Manning cannot throw a strong pass over 15 yards anymore. I'm thinking that either his neck is acting up, or he got old fast. No zip on his passes whatsoever.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
At least Talib is amongst the CB lead leaders in interceptions. But Clady? He's been very, very mediocre for most of this season.

As we go into the playoffs, all of that is noise though. The big deal is that Peyton Manning cannot throw a strong pass over 15 yards anymore. I'm thinking that either his neck is acting up, or he got old fast. No zip on his passes whatsoever.

Could be a little bit of both AB...but one thing I'm noticing from this season that is different than last season-WR's catching balls that hit them in their hands.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall that even if a ball wasn't perfectly placed last year DT, JT and Welker seemed to come down with it more often than not (Decker not so much, he seemed to always play for a flag).

There seems to be about the same number of imperfect balls thrown, but if the WRs get their hands on it (and I don't just mean fingertips) it's their job to come down with it. I'm seeing more really bad drops this year from Unusual Suspects in DT and JT (more when he has come back from his ankle injury).

Now, that's not to say that Peyton isn't to blame, that's not the case, he does shoulder some blame. But it's not like we didn't see that last year his throws lost some "zip"--we did see that. He's not going to be able to throw the ball like he used to, and we saw that last year. He's still a great "surgical QB", slicing up Defenses. (the 4 INT game doesn't change that)

Perhaps it's my bias (and it probably is), but I still believe he's an Elite QB, but the WHOLE team needs to get their heads in the right place and the Coaching Staff (mainly John Fox) needs to remove the Stick from their ***** and go in to the Playoffs with a cutthroat attitude.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll say it again--Elway in the irony of ironies has effectively hired the modern-day Marty Schottenheimer. A guy who simply can't get it done when it counts the most. If he does, I'll shut up of course, but I have zero faith he can get it done, even with a team as stacked as this one. I realize injuries have piled up (thank you early bye week) but this team still has insane amounts of talent. It is, IMHO, the most talented receiving corps the Broncos have ever had. But none of that matters if the coaches fail to properly prepare and execute a solid gameplan.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Asked one of my friends on a college forum about the Bobo hiring - I liked this response.

Bobo is a UGA man. He played QB there and was basically the QB coach/OC forever. Georgia fans hate him but they expect to be 15-0 every year. He's been there since 1993? as a player-coach except for one season that he coached QBs at Tulane I think. Fans grow old of guys like this so I wouldn't pay attnetion to UGA fans opinions.

I think the upside with him is that he can get any offensive kid to buy into his system by simply showing a video of the offense. Have you heard of Stafford... have you heard of AJ Green? If he can get the kids from Colorado to eat that line up he should be able to get the top guys in the state. Not sure he has much pull on the defensive side. He's bringing Friend with him as OC so you are going to run the UGA offense. It's a spread option run heavy offense that I think will work well in the MWC.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
CSU scraped out a one point OT victory on the road against New Mexico State tonight. CSU is the first road team other than New Mexico to win @NMSU in over 40 games.

It was a nailbiter and the Rams played extremely poorly (0 made 3 pointers, Kidd fouled out, Bejarano didn't score and shot 0-10, Avila was 1-5 at the free throw line), but I'll take it. NMSU is a bad team but for whatever reason they're tough as hell at home.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
9ers are idiots for choosing Baalke over Harbaugh.

OSU/Michigan is going to get so much more interesting if Harbaugh take that job.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Playoff Schedule is out. Broncos will host either Indy, Cincy or Pittsburgh on Sunday Jan 11th at 2:40 Denver time.

It's ideal as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't change the Broncos routine at all. It's just like a normal game day just with kickoff delayed by 30 minutes or so. Really did not want the Saturday game.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Playoff Schedule is out. Broncos will host either Indy, Cincy or Pittsburgh on Sunday Jan 11th at 2:40 Denver time.

Sounds like a great afternoon to go skiing. Slopes will be empty. :nod:

On the injury front, things are looking much better this year than last. We have Franklin (concussion), Ward (neck sprain), Marshall (foot sprain) that have a seemingly reasonable shot of coming back. Though with Franklin, who knows? If that's the case, the Broncos just have the MLB out, amongst starters.

Any word on Bruton?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Peyton pulled an Eli there.

Do you mean he stepped up in a big game to pull a miraculous come from behind win out of his ass when his team really needed it? ;) I kid, I like Big Brother and really hope he can snag #2 before he's done, admittedly primarily because then Eli will have to go out and win us a 3rd ring, but still.

On another giants related note, ODB can't not win OROY now. 12 games played, 91 catches (including the catch of the season), 12 TDs, and over 1300 yards. All while missing OTAs and camp so that he had to gel with Eli during games and play himself into shape. I was hyping him hard over the summer, but even I didn't expect this sort of dominance. Kid is simply unreal and had one of the most impressive rookie years by a WR that I can remember. God damn do I hope he stays healthy, cause watching him dominate the NFL for the rest of Eli's career is going to be awesome.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Do you mean he stepped up in a big game to pull a miraculous come from behind win out of his ass when his team really needed it? ;) I kid, I like Big Brother and really hope he can snag #2 before he's done, admittedly primarily because then Eli will have to go out and win us a 3rd ring, but still.

On another giants related note, ODB can't not win OROY now. 12 games played, 91 catches (including the catch of the season), 12 TDs, and over 1300 yards. All while missing OTAs and camp so that he had to gel with Eli during games and play himself into shape. I was hyping him hard over the summer, but even I didn't expect this sort of dominance. Kid is simply unreal and had one of the most impressive rookie years by a WR that I can remember. God damn do I hope he stays healthy, cause watching him dominate the NFL for the rest of Eli's career is going to be awesome.

I don't see anyway ODB doesn't win ROY. He was amazing his year. You guys have a hell of a player

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't see anyway ODB doesn't win ROY. He was amazing his year. You guys have a hell of a player

He's really managed to blow even my high expectations out of the water and he+Eli have clicked so much faster than could've been anticipated. He should win OROY, but Evans put up some nasty numbers of his own and while he had Vjax opening things for him he did it with a much worse QB, so I won't be shocked if ODB doesn't win, even if the NYC media rallies behind him.

I do worry about his health betraying him like what happened with JPP, Tuck, Cruz, Shockey, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross, David Wilson, Kenny Phillips, and countless other giants. Seems like such a NYG thing to have happen...that or having a key stud go full Pejorative Slur like Plax or Will Hill (who I'm still mad at for being such a dumbass stoner, as he was really awesome next to Rolle between the suspensions).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad