OT: Other Sports aka CSU Football Thread XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Those numbers seem super high.

Well, if we look at the midrange of the salaries Klis suggested, this is what it looks like:

Paying Knighton $6.5M would rank him 8th amongst DTs in the NFL. Worth it? I think so.

Paying Franklin $5.5M would rank him 11th amongst Guards in the NFL. Worth it? I don't think so.

Paying Moore $4M would rank him 17th amonst Safties in the NFL. Worth it? Perhaps, but I'm not sure the team can afford it.

As an aside, I think it's possible that Franklin will get paid at the upper end of Kils' salary range, by a team who needs a RT rather than a Guard. No way will Denver pay Tackle money for a guy they see at guard.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
If/when the redskins cut Bob Griffin, any interest in signing him as a reclamation project?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Well, if we look at the midrange of the salaries Klis suggested, this is what it looks like:

Paying Knighton $6.5M would rank him 8th amongst DTs in the NFL. Worth it? I think so.

Paying Franklin $5.5M would rank him 11th amongst Guards in the NFL. Worth it? I don't think so.

Paying Moore $4M would rank him 17th amonst Safties in the NFL. Worth it? Perhaps, but I'm not sure the team can afford it.

As an aside, I think it's possible that Franklin will get paid at the upper end of Kils' salary range, by a team who needs a RT rather than a Guard. No way will Denver pay Tackle money for a guy they see at guard.

Knighton - 15th rated DT on PFF
Franklin - 16th rated G on PFF
Moore - 29th rated S on PFF

I think all of them are much higher $$ than they are actually worth. But the cap is growing, salaries and growing, so maybe it's close.

I really feel like Marvin Austin could come on next year and fill Franklin's shoes. But he's a UFA as well.

If we go to the Super Bowl, do you think any of those guys are re-signed? I'd probably say no.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Knighton - 15th rated DT on PFF
Franklin - 16th rated G on PFF
Moore - 29th rated S on PFF

I think all of them are much higher $$ than they are actually worth. But the cap is growing, salaries and growing, so maybe it's close.

I really feel like Marvin Austin could come on next year and fill Franklin's shoes.

I'm pretty sure Austin is going to stay on the defensive line. ;)

And I don't think he's close to Knighton's level.

If we go to the Super Bowl, do you think any of those guys are re-signed? I'd probably say no.

Probably not, no. But again, I think it depends on what they do with the Thomases.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm pretty sure Austin is going to stay on the defensive line. ;)

And I don't think he's close to Knighton's level.

Probably not, no. But again, I think it depends on what they do with the Thomases.

Austin's got potential - probably just not the size. But for a former 2nd round pick that's finally on track to play, Austin's not going to take a min. deal again.

Here's some UFA's I think the Broncos should be interested in if they can't re-sign everyone:

WR - Denarious Moore, Louis Murphy, Randall Cobb
TE - Tony Moeaki, Niles Paul, Ed Dickson
OL - Clint Boling, Joe Berger, Mike Iupati (prob best G in FA), Brian De La Puente, Rodney Hudson (would be shocked if we could get him)
DT - Dan Williams, Jared Odrick
S- Jeromy Miles, Da’Norris Searcy, Devin McCourty

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Austin's got potential - probably just not the size. But for a former 2nd round pick that's finally on track to play, Austin's not going to take a min. deal again.

Here's some UFA's I think the Broncos should be interested in if they can't re-sign everyone:

WR - Denarious Moore, Louis Murphy, Randall Cobb
TE - Tony Moeaki, Niles Paul, Ed Dickson
OL - Clint Boling, Joe Berger, Mike Iupati (prob best G in FA), Brian De La Puente, Rodney Hudson (would be shocked if we could get him)
DT - Dan Williams, Jared Odrick
S- Jeromy Miles, Da’Norris Searcy, Devin McCourty

Do you see them going after any UFAs at positions where they don't lose an important player? I don't.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Oh CSU. I understand the teams I follow make me a masochist to begin with but this is why I'm never going to be a college football fan.
What are you talking about, CSU Pueblo just won the D2 Championship!

But really though, Utah is a great team. I'm not surprised at this score.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
What are you talking about, CSU Pueblo just won the D2 Championship!

But really though, Utah is a great team. I'm not surprised at this score.

Me either, they actually played a tough team and got schooled. Every time they played a reputable team this year they got beat handedly.

They had a great year winning 10 games, playing a minor conference schedule, but they proved today why they had no business being in the top 25.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Need some Fantasy Football advice.

In my main Yahoo League I'm in the Championship game and I am not real sure on which Defense/Special Teams to start.

Currently I have Green Bay (vs. TB in Tampa) in the Starting position but I also have Baltimore (vs. Houston in Houston) that I'm thinking about as well...the only reason I'm considering Baltimore is because they're starting Case Keenum and he looked dreadful in the pre-season and wasn't all that great last year for them as well. And should they take him out they'd be replacing him with Thad Lewis...

I've got GB in the starting position because they're going against Tampa, so I figure that it could be a good matchup there as well.

Thoughts?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
If you can pick up Buffalo or Detroit, go grab them.

I am not a fan at all of keeping 1-2 defenses through the entire year. I stream them week to week.

But I would go GB over Houston in your scenario if you're adamant about keeping a D. I would venture to bet though that there's many better options out on your waiver wire.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Do you see them going after any UFAs at positions where they don't lose an important player? I don't.

I could see them getting a lineman on OL in free agency. Paradis and Schofield both seem to be minor busts.

I'm probably pessimistic, but I don't see the Broncos re-signing more than maybe 1-2 of their own UFAs and letting everyone else test the market. I think they re-sign one of JT/DT/Knighton. Rahim Moore is a goner. I think Franklin is too. I still maintain I think they'll resign JT out of the big three. Everyone else I think will hit UFA and at least get other offers.

I just don't see how it's possible they can re-sign everyone unless Peyton takes a significant pay cut. Mathematically it seems just almost near impossible.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If you can pick up Buffalo or Detroit, go grab them.

I am not a fan at all of keeping 1-2 defenses through the entire year. I stream them week to week.

But I would go GB over Houston in your scenario if you're adamant about keeping a D. I would venture to bet though that there's many better options out on your waiver wire.

Neither Buffalo nor Detroit are available.

I don't usually keep 2 Defenses, but I didn't want my opponent picking up either of these since it's the Championship game. I usually use 2 up until my main one has completed its Bye Week and then from there I will either keep that one or rotate out using the Waiver Wire.

For instance, I went in to this season with Denver's Defense as my main D/ST, after their Bye Week I began rotating them out because they were just allowing too many points. 3 weeks ago I dropped Denver completely and went with St. Louis against Oakland...they scored me 45 points. The next week I stayed with St. Louis again and they rewarded me with another 40+ point game. Last week I went with Baltimore, fearing that the St. Louis/Arizona game would be a tight game (And it was, if I stayed w/ the Rams I would have gotten 10 points) and I was rewarded with 35 points from the Ravens.

So...I kept Baltimore on my team and picked up GB because they were facing Tampa.

So your opinion Bonzai would be to roll with GB as I am currently slated to do?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've found it's usually best to roll with what got you there but why are you having second thoughts on GB? After losing last week they should demolish Tampa, I can't imagine that game being competitive.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I could see them getting a lineman on OL in free agency. Paradis and Schofield both seem to be minor busts.

I'm probably pessimistic, but I don't see the Broncos re-signing more than maybe 1-2 of their own UFAs and letting everyone else test the market. I think they re-sign one of JT/DT/Knighton. Rahim Moore is a goner. I think Franklin is too. I still maintain I think they'll resign JT out of the big three. Everyone else I think will hit UFA and at least get other offers.

I just don't see how it's possible they can re-sign everyone unless Peyton takes a significant pay cut. Mathematically it seems just almost near impossible.

I'm of the opposite. I think they keep DT and Pot Roast but they trade JT's rights or let him walk. I agree that unless he takes a paycut Moore is a goner.

Also, you gotta wonder where Brock and his salary factor in this. It may take a raise to keep him even as a backup. If it means a little extra for a starter like DT, they may suck it up and let Brock walk and keep Dysert or draft someone.

Interesting...both Blount and Edelman out for NE today. C'mon...J-E-T-S

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I've found it's usually best to roll with what got you there but why are you having second thoughts on GB? After losing last week they should demolish Tampa, I can't imagine that game being competitive.

Not really having "2nd thoughts about GB" so much as it is the fact that the Texans are starting Case Keenum who I believe will throw at least 2 picks today. He also gets easily rattled when teams send 4 or more at him so that could result in some hurried plays or sacks.

I've still got GB locked in my starting lineup, haven't taken them out since picking them up on Wednesday

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not really having "2nd thoughts about GB" so much as it is the fact that the Texans are starting Case Keenum who I believe will throw at least 2 picks today. He also gets easily rattled when teams send 4 or more at him so that could result in some hurried plays or sacks.

I've still got GB locked in my starting lineup, haven't taken them out since picking them up on Wednesday

Kinda the way I look at it Baltimore got 35 last week so they won't this week, GB lost last week so they won't this week. I'd go with what you were originally thinking. Good luck!

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

You think JT is the first priority? Wow. If they can only sign one, it's going to be tough watching the other two go. I still think this question is a big one: Knighton or JT?

I want them to sign guys in this order: DT, Knighton, JT, whoever else they can afford.

Though that brings up another question: Would you rather have just DT, or both JT/Knighton?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
You think JT is the first priority? Wow.

I think JT gets signed, but I don't think that he is first priority.

I look at our roster and I see Latimore and Sanders behind DT. They just have more depth there. Is DT the best free agent going into this summer? Hell yeah....But they are better prepared to lose DT than they are JT or Knighton (and I'd even put even Franklin on that list).If they let JT go, the dropoff to Tamme is crazy big. Your alternative on UFA is Ed Dickson. Big dropoff again. Losing Knighton is significant but there are some capable DT's out there in FA.

There's three reasons I see DT leaving:
1) They have depth behind him and the Broncos seemingly have been preparing for this (Latimore, pickup of Sanders, re-signing Caldwell, etc...)
2) He's got to make at least $10-$12 per....And for that price you could almost resign both JT and Knighton
3) Outside of Cobb, there isn't a lot of depth at WR in free agency. There's a big pay day there. (But this same argument could also be made for JT). I also think there's a bunch of teams in the NFL right now with no go-to guy. And those teams have a lot of dough (JAX, TEN, CLE, NYJ, PHI, IND, NE, OAK)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad