OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVII: Baez Time!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
For some reason people always forget how good Pau is.

How good Pau was!

He cant stay healthy and his play in recent years has been up and down

He is 34 yr old on decline ,, This move is simply another Pax/Forman failure

Even if you argue/compare their offensive/defensive skillsets, there's no debating that Pau is 7 feet tall and can play center. That's important. Looks like they'll have a front court of Taj/Noah with Gasol/Mirotic off the bench.

So basically the Bulls are going to overpay for fading Pau to come off bench

Great management from Bulls ,, Absolutely amazing :shakehead

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
How good Pau was!

Well if he was actually declining you would have a point, but he was better across the board last year than he was the year before. Just like all young players don't magically improve every year, older players don't get worse every year.

Not sure how Carmelo taking 50M extra is a failure of GarPax, but whatever floats your boat.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Failure of Pax/Gar was giving away Deng for nothing and failing to land anyone via trade or FA that actually improves Bulls or makes them contenders

Team is not good enough to compete in East ,, That is just pitiful

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Failure of Pax/Gar was giving away Deng for nothing and failing to land anyone via trade or FA that actually improves Bulls or makes them contenders

Team is not good enough to compete in East ,, That is just pitiful
Good point, they went straight to the gutter without Deng

Hawks82

Dec 4, 2011
Well it's official. Just saw on SC. Melo back to the Knicks.

****ing greedy coward. Money over the potential to win.

He was never going to leave $50 million on the table, he'd be crazy to walk away from that.

Chicago just isn't an attractive FA destination.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also can we stop with this nonsense about if he wanted to win he would have come to Chicago

Bulls aren't a contender ,, If he wanted to win he would go to Cleveland or Indiana or Toronto.

Bulls are an above average team with 1 star (Noah) + Some good role players and a selfish/always injured diva at PG

Bulls are not a contender and are not that appealing

RomersWorld*

The Bulls with Melo were arguably the best team in the NBA(at least top 5). If that isn't appealing enough then there is nothing we can do.

The fact that he even considered at all to take 60 million less to play for the Bulls shows he thought they could win the a championship with him(like every other analyst/person with a brain).

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
How good Pau was!

He played 50 games and sat out a decent amount because the team was awful and already eliminated. Youre really underestimating Pau Gasol. He'll be starting 100%

They should have just kept Boozer and Deng because they have chemistry. Although Booz does underwhelm he does consistently give you a double double. And Deng is you defensive wing anchor. The Bulls just wanted to get their chance at a big 3 or something of that nature. They had it good once Rose was injured. They lost out on Nate Robinson the sole reason they were even that deep last year in the playoffs and Marco Belinelli who was a key cog for the Spurs.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Bulls are still a massive question mark because of Rose. If he can stay healthy and (assuming he can) if he can return to his former self are two huge questions that will need to be answered and are still up in the air.

Bulls might be a top contender or they might just be one of the many teams a step down. Not bad by any means, but not real championship contenders.

Don't fault anyone for not wanting to take a massive paycut to go to an unknown.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
If there's something positive to take away from this it's that, all else being equal, Chicago is still an attractive destination for free agents. Some would lead you to believe that winter or a lack of movie stardom would scare off top talent, but that Carmelo would even consider for a second leaving $50 million on the table to become a Bull should be considered an honor. Even Cleveland can be a destination for the right reason.

Maybe Bulls Management can poach Jabari in a few years.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
Trade Rose, blow it up.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be as many willing "garbage bin" teams for such a terrible contract in the NBA. I don't know if you were kidding but I'd seriously be all for them taking the next few years off from competitive basketball. Maybe they can convince Silver to give them the ol' Cavs Special in the meantime.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Sadly, there doesn't seem to be as many willing "garbage bin" teams for such a terrible contract in the NBA. I don't know if you were kidding but I'd seriously be all for them taking the next few years off from competitive basketball. Maybe they can convince Silver to give them the ol' Cavs Special in the meantime.

I think Rose was a great talent but he's selfish and I highly doubt he's anywhere the player he once was. Not after two knee surgeries. I don't think he helps when it comes to attracting big time free agents. The only thing he is going to accomplish (if he plays) is making the team good enough to get ****** draft picks. Start over.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
I think Rose was a great talent but he's selfish and I highly doubt he's anywhere the player he once was. Not after two knee surgeries. I don't think he helps when it comes to attracting big time free agents. The only thing he is going to accomplish (if he plays) is making the team good enough to get ****** draft picks. Start over.

Another problem with rebuilding is the crazy man coaching them. So even if GarPax were to shut it down Thibs would probably have an aneurysm. He'd have to be traded to a contender looking to upgrade coaching (like OKC or Houston) for draft picks first. THEN we can let the new guy run a controlled demolition.

This is all speculative anyway. Things seem to be locked in for another year of becoming the hardest working team to lose before the conference finals.

Hawks82

Dec 4, 2011
The meniscus isn't really a career altering injury. It just happened at the worst possible time. It looked like he had the same jump and drive last season as he did before his ACL surgery. Doug McDermott had a tweeted a couple of times this week that Rose looked like "the old D.Rose" in practice.

Getting him back would be a huge gain for the Bulls.

I think people forgot how good of a player he was...I do understand the skepticism though.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
The Bulls have a solid frontcourt now of Noah, Gasol, Gibson, and Mirotic. The problem is that they need another couple shooters. Their depth at SG and SF is suspect. Bring in an Ariza, Bledsoe, etc., and the Bulls could become the best team in the East.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Bulls have a solid frontcourt now of Noah, Gasol, Gibson, and Mirotic. The problem is that they need another couple shooters. Their depth at SG and SF is suspect. Bring in an Ariza, Bledsoe, etc., and the Bulls could become the best team in the East.

Ariza , Bledsoe wont put Bulls as best in East

And Gasol isn't a Bull yet and Boozer isn't gone yet either

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
And how about the year before?

Also Gasol is only getting older

And what about the year before that? He had one bad season. Get the **** over it. He'd be a big upgrade over Boozer, and with Mirotic coming over, the Bulls would be pretty solid at the 4/5.

I don't care that he's getting older. Last year he proved that he can still play. He also wouldn't have to be relied upon as much with Noah, Gibson, and Mirotic.

Last edited:

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Rose's knee injuries weren't degenerative and the surgeries aren't anything close to the microfracture surgeries that torpedoed Hardaway/STAT/Roy/Oden. Like Pat Riley said, everyone needs to get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad