Oshawa Generals 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I don't think any team is happy with a backdoor entry. Sometimes the rest can do you good (Shawinigan) or it can bite you royally in the ass (London/Brandon). Since 83 and the new format I believe only 3 teams have won that were knocked out in the playoffs or lost their league final

Quebec 2006
Vancouver 2007
Shawinigan 2012

London was bad, but Brandon made the finals. They just got lit up in the final :laugh:

I think making the entire CHL 72 games and having a legit league wide standings would be good. The 3 winners of the leagues get in, and then to make an even 4, the highest ranked team that didnt win (say Erie was ranked first but lost in the playoffs), makes it.

Then have a best of 7 with the highest ranked team playing the lowest ranked, and so on. So this year it would be:

SSM vs Winner of Q
Kelowna vs Oshawa

Winners meet in the final, another best of 7, for the Memorial Cup.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
You are not correct...In 1987 Oshawa and North Bay had the super series to determine who would hold the Memorial Cup...Oshawa won in seven games, then they also won the league championship in seven games...there were only three teams that year...Oshawa, Medicine Hat and Longiuel....Medicine Hat won the Memorial Cup...

he is talking about 1990 Memorial Cup and you are talking about 1987 the year we hosted the Memorial Cup and we played a 7 game Super Series with North Bay and then again in OHL Finals played North Bay again

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Do you not find it odd that only 50 % of people on an OHL site believe the Gens will win ?

The other 50 said the Generals wouldn't beat Niagara Falls, North Bay and Erie, and say they won't win the Memorial Cup
Haters will always hatekeep hating, this team is fun to watchThe Beast in the East.GO GEN'S GO

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
he is talking about 1990 Memorial Cup and you are talking about 1987 the year we hosted the Memorial Cup and we played a 7 game Super Series with North Bay and then again in OHL Finals played North Bay again
What I'm stating is that the OHL decided only the OHL Champs would go to the Memorial Cup in '87....

Last edited:

core33

Feb 22, 2015
The other 50 said the Generals wouldn't beat Niagara Falls, North Bay and Erie, and say they won't win the Memorial Cup
Haters will always hatekeep hating, this team is fun to watchThe Beast in the East.GO GEN'S GO

Niagara Falls doesnt have a team!

I really don't like the host team having a chance to win it. Maybe which ever league has it, whoever makes the finals, one of those teams host it. Yes preplanning, well too bad, still very easy to make lots of $. You will still have 3 weeks to do last minute planning. The league and the sponsor can still plan what they want to do anytime.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
What I'm stating is that the OHL decided only the OHL Champs would go to the Memorial Cup in '87....

that's the way it should be in total just the League champs 3 teams but wow what a run in 1987 with Super Series and playoffs then Memorial Cup Oshawa won every game in Memorial Cup that year except final game with Medicine Hat Jeff Hackett was in net for Oshawa and the LSD line too

three dog night

May 3, 2014
This season format looks fair with Quebec in game seven of their final now going into a second overtime. Trouble with a best of seven format the teams will playing too long and the fans will likely stop watching.

Armada

Nov 21, 2013
Rimouski just won game 7 in second OT, 2 great team representing QMJHL. QMJHL team are always underlook but this year we have two great team going to the memorial cup. They are both better than last year Valdor.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
I hear a lot that there are some of the Oshawa Generals that could be in the NHL next October and my opinion to that is I don,t think any of the players are actually ready to step into a NHL line up maybe in a couple years from now after being in the American League

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Niagara Falls doesnt have a team!

I really don't like the host team having a chance to win it. Maybe which ever league has it, whoever makes the finals, one of those teams host it. Yes preplanning, well too bad, still very easy to make lots of $. You will still have 3 weeks to do last minute planning. The league and the sponsor can still plan what they want to do anytime.

Hes just a fan trolling all the boards, I wouldn't pay much attention.

Goalhog

Feb 6, 2015

That's not correct. At the start of the playoffs, Oshawa winner of their division played the other division winner North Bay. At stake was the right to host the Mem Cup. Oshawa won that series in 7 games. It was called the Super Series

A few weeks later Oshawa met up with North Bay again in the OHL final. Had North Bay won that 7th game they would have gone to the Mem Cup as well.

This would be not a bad format to use again to see who gets to host it. The two conference winners at the end of the season would play for this and receive an automatic bye into round 2 to continue the playoffs .

I think most teams, if not all, have new rinks and capabilities to pull this off.

Round 1 of the playoffs finished on April 8th, 6 or 7 weeks to prepare for the tournament.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Congrats Gennies glad the cup is back in the East. Good luck at the M cup. I predict a Gens/Kelowna final.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
thinking stupid having a team in a tournament that doesn,t win nothing makes no sense I think the winner of the NHL Finals should play the Toronto Maple Leafs for the Stanely Cup? DUMB!

The Memorial Cup isn't a league playoff. It is an "invitational" Cup tournament just like the Spengler Cup or the FIFA World Cup or the Olympic hockey tournament...of course the hosts should be there.

Goalhog

Feb 6, 2015
The Memorial Cup isn't a league playoff. It is an "invitational" Cup tournament just like the Spengler Cup or the FIFA World Cup or the Olympic hockey tournament...of course the hosts should be there.

You don't get an invite, you have to win your league to take part:shakehead

The question of the host team has been debated enough, some people like it, some people don't. Not sure how the CHL would have felt if Sudbury was chosen to host it this year if it was the OHL turn. There would be a lot of scrambling to move it elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad