Oshawa Generals 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Gen Fans: Do you think there will be a pep rally this week to see the team off to Quebec?

darmitage

May 13, 2012
what do yous think of the Memorial Cup format and number of teams that get in? use to be 3 championship teams got in but since mid 90s it was changed

Last edited:

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
what do yous think of the Memorial Cup format and number of teams that get in? use to be 3 championship teams got in but since mid 90s it was changed

I think since they allow teams from the United States to compete in the CHL, it should be mandatory that at least one team playing in the tournament is from The United States......

:laugh:

Goalhog

Feb 6, 2015

It was actually changed much earlier, in the 80's. As a matter of fact, the Gens were the first team that did not benefit by the change. In 83 they handled quite easily the Lethbridge Broncos which were the WHL champs but lost both games to the "host" team Portland Winterhawks.

I would still prefer a 3 team round robin, host team really is just a money grab.

There have been a few teams that won the Mem Cup but did not win their league, that in itself, in my opinion, would be a tainted trophy.

Goalhog

Feb 6, 2015
I think since they allow teams from the United States to compete in the CHL, it should be mandatory that at least one team playing in the tournament is from The United States......

:laugh:

Come on...really? It is already watered down by allowing a host team every third year in each of the Q, O and WHL.

How about a team from Sweden, or somewhere else in Europe representing the imports? Daft!

darmitage

May 13, 2012
It was actually changed much earlier, in the 80's. As a matter of fact, the Gens were the first team that did not benefit by the change. In 83 they handled quite easily the Lethbridge Broncos which were the WHL champs but lost both games to the "host" team Portland Winterhawks.

I would still prefer a 3 team round robin, host team really is just a money grab.

There have been a few teams that won the Mem Cup but did not win their league, that in itself, in my opinion, would be a tainted trophy.

your right and that's what I'm talking about why should a team get into the Memorial Cup that doesn,t even win there league championship should be only 3 team round robin I believe in 1990 win we won the Memorial Cup in Hamilton for some reason it was 3 teams and Copps Arena in Hamilton was sold out that's why if Oshawa wins or if they don,t I won,t feel bad because I think OHL Championship is more important!

your right and that's what I'm talking about why should a team get into the Memorial Cup that doesn,t even win there league championship should be only 3 team round robin I believe in 1990 win we won the Memorial Cup in Hamilton for some reason it was 3 teams and Copps Arena in Hamilton was sold out that's why if Oshawa wins or if they don,t I won,t feel bad because I think OHL Championship is more important!

The 1990 Memorial Cup had 4 teams

Kitchener
Oshawa
Laval
Kamloops

the Hamilton Dukes were the host team but declined entry and withdrew after finishing last in the OHL

The format has been the same as it is now since 1983

darmitage

May 13, 2012

Kitchener
Oshawa
Laval
Kamloops

the Hamilton Dukes were the host team but declined entry and withdrew after finishing last in the OHL

I stand corrected! ok that's what happened only need 3 teams, if you don,t win a championship don,t belong in Memorial Cup in my opinion!
and also there is a poster in another Oshawa Generals forums trying to say the trade is the reason we won OHL it helped for sure but we would have won it even with our team before the trade because even at that point Oshawa had only 3 losses and #1 in Canada rankings in my opinion and they still had size before trade

I stand corrected! ok that's what happened only need 3 teams, if you don,t win a championship don,t belong in Memorial Cup in my opinion!
and also there is a poster in another Oshawa Generals forums trying to say the trade is the reason we won OHL it helped for sure but we would have won it even with our team before the trade because even at that point Oshawa had only 3 losses and #1 in Canada rankings in my opinion and they still had size before trade

I have no problem with the current format, but would be open for change. If anything was to happen I'd like to see a host city...a round robin between the 3 Championship teams...and then the top 2 teams play a 2 out of 3 for the trophy.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
I have no problem with the current format, but would be open for change. If anything was to happen I'd like to see a host city...a round robin between the 3 Championship teams...and then the top 2 teams play a 2 out of 3 for the trophy.

that would be great I just don,t like a team in the tournament that gets knocked out in the playoffs and then gets a rest for the Memorial Cup and then wins it,either Oshawa wins or not they are Champions they won the OHL Title!!!!!!!!!!

that would be great I just don,t like a team in the tournament that gets knocked out in the playoffs and then gets a rest for the Memorial Cup and then wins it,either Oshawa wins or not they are Champions they won the OHL Title!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think any team is happy with a backdoor entry. Sometimes the rest can do you good (Shawinigan) or it can bite you royally in the ass (London/Brandon). Since 83 and the new format I believe only 3 teams have won that were knocked out in the playoffs or lost their league final

Quebec 2006
Vancouver 2007
Shawinigan 2012

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Come on...really? It is already watered down by allowing a host team every third year in each of the Q, O and WHL.

How about a team from Sweden, or somewhere else in Europe representing the imports? Daft!

This is what as known as a joke. Hence the big laugh.........................

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

At least this year, the host team and the runners up from the Q are neck and neck for the title from their league. The past couple years have been fine, but ya that year Shawinigan lost in the first round of the QMJHL playoffs, only to win the memorial cup....that just seemed unfair

darmitage

May 13, 2012
At least this year, the host team and the runners up from the Q are neck and neck for the title from their league. The past couple years have been fine, but ya that year Shawinigan lost in the first round of the QMJHL playoffs, only to win the memorial cup....that just seemed unfair

I saw Quebec and Rimouski and there style reminds me of Eries I'm pretty sure Oshawa can handle them not sure about Kelowna

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
I don't think any team is happy with a backdoor entry. Sometimes the rest can do you good (Shawinigan) or it can bite you royally in the ass (London/Brandon). Since 83 and the new format I believe only 3 teams have won that were knocked out in the playoffs or lost their league final

Quebec 2006
Vancouver 2007
Shawinigan 2012

Also these ones.

2004 Kelowna
1999 Ottawa
1993 Soo
1983 Portland

So a total of 7 fake Memorial Cup winners since the fourth "participation ribbon" team was adopted in '83.

Also these ones.

2004 Kelowna
1999 Ottawa
1993 Soo
1983 Portland

So a total of 7 fake Memorial Cup winners since the fourth "participation ribbon" team was adopted in '83.

I couldn't remember if there were more. I have no problem with the host winning. The format is what it is and EVERY team knows the format going in. To whine about the host winning after having a rest is a cop out in my opinion.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
Which is why a lot of people think the Memorial Cup trophy is just filler and isn't a true championship. That said...you can't fault a team for winning under the tournament format laid out before them.

I don,t mind the host team winning the Memorial Cup as long as they win there league title that's why you need just 3 teams and in every province hold the games in big arenas like Hamilton or wherever 1990 Copps in Hamilton was sold out! but the way it is is a joke in my opinion!

Runner26

May 10, 2015
It's a great tournament and fantastic for junior hockey. This format ensures a sold out rink. The hometown season ticket holders ensure that happens.

Cops was sold out for the final but few other games. Reasons for the sellout were obvious. Close proximity to Kitchener and Eric Lindros. He made the game a hot commodity.

every scenario has its flaws and this one works as well as any.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
It's a great tournament and fantastic for junior hockey. This format ensures a sold out rink. The hometown season ticket holders ensure that happens.

Cops was sold out for the final but few other games. Reasons for the sellout were obvious. Close proximity to Kitchener and Eric Lindros. He made the game a hot commodity.

every scenario has its flaws and this one works as well as any.

the semi finals and for sure the final would be sold out anyway OHL.com is a Memorial Cup poll Oshawa is favored 49% to win Memorial Cup

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015

Kitchener
Oshawa
Laval
Kamloops

You are not correct...In 1987 Oshawa and North Bay had the super series to determine who would hold the Memorial Cup...Oshawa won in seven games, then they also won the league championship in seven games...there were only three teams that year...Oshawa, Medicine Hat and Longiuel....Medicine Hat won the Memorial Cup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad