Opinions on Fabian Lysell's future

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Who are the "some folks" opining on a mental and cognitive diagnosis of a 21 year old kid? People who have spent a lot of time with him? This is pretty shady.
I mean, he did throw his stick at a guy on an empty net breakaway.

If the net was two winter boots ok but there were children in the crowd. Impressionable young minds

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Who are the "some folks" opining on a mental and cognitive diagnosis of a 21 year old kid? People who have spent a lot of time with him? This is pretty shady.
To be honest I'm not sure, and maybe I shouldn't have said anything without a link. I want to say I heard it in the Divver interview? The 'independent contractor' interview. Fwiw, I don't think Divver was trying to throw shade. He was just saying maybe this is why his personality comes across as a little different.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
To be honest I'm not sure, and maybe I shouldn't have said anything without a link. I want to say I heard it in the Divver interview? The 'independent contractor' interview. Fwiw, I don't think Divver was trying to throw shade. He was just saying maybe this is why his personality comes across as a little different.
It'd be nice if the Bruins stuck with a "different" kid for a change instead of running him out of town for his different-ness, assuming that even applies in this case. It hasn't turned out so well when the team has shipped out quirky but highly talented young players in the past.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Feb 3, 2009
It'd be nice if the Bruins stuck with a "different" kid for a change instead of running him out of town for his different-ness, assuming that even applies in this case. It hasn't turned out so well when the team has shipped out quirky but highly talented young players in the past.
Sounds like a reference to Kessel and Hamilton.

Reactions: Beyonder and Kegs

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I have been down on Fabian for quite a while, given Mark Divver's low opinion and those scouts, NHL scouts, with whom he has spoken. The assessments were harsh.

Also recall, Ryan Mougenel called Lysell out in no uncertain terms earlier this season for freelancing, not being a team player, etcetera.

However, it is clear that the need for secondary scoring, primary scoring in actuality, appears to dictate that the Bruins will give Lysell every opportunity to nail down a second or third line role.

That's fine with me. Opinions seem to have changed about his game, and they might as well find out what they've got in this player.

PS Merkulov will get a chance too.

If Boston can solve its scoring problem internally, that would be the best outcome.

We shall see.

You should pay more attention to the coach's more recent comments about Lysell.

“Fab had huge steps this year,” Mougenel said. “Again, we forget how young Fabian is at times. We had him as a 19-year-old and the maturity that he’s shown in his game has been great to see . . . It’s been two years for Fabian where the light started to go on really early on this year that — you play well in your own end, it translates to offense. He’s such a special player. He’s a special kid and all these offensive-gifted players, they have some sort of deficiency, especially defensively and I think, his is really starting to come along. I think he’s gonna push.”

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
You should pay more attention to the coach's more recent comments about Lysell.

“Fab had huge steps this year,” Mougenel said. “Again, we forget how young Fabian is at times. We had him as a 19-year-old and the maturity that he’s shown in his game has been great to see . . . It’s been two years for Fabian where the light started to go on really early on this year that — you play well in your own end, it translates to offense. He’s such a special player. He’s a special kid and all these offensive-gifted players, they have some sort of deficiency, especially defensively and I think, his is really starting to come along. I think he’s gonna push.”
Yes, I read this.

I was remiss in failing to include Ryan's latest assessment of Lysell's game.

It seems there's been quite the turnaround in opinion from several in the know.

That's all good news to me.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Top 5 candidate for rookie of the year :)
A little too bold for me.

Possible Calder guys I'd put above him for this year (by draft class not in order of who I think is most likely to win- so Doan is from 2021 and Celebrini and Levshunov are from '24)

1. J. Doan
  2. M. Savoie
  3. Gauthier
  4. C.Geekie
  5. Nazar
  6. L. Hutson
  7. Michkov
  8. W. Smith
  9. Benson
  10. Nadeau
  11. Celebrini
  12. Levhsunov

Then I'd have Lysell in with the next group of guys which would be a big list, including guys like Chibrikov, Brad Lambert, Joakim Kemell, Denton Mateychuk probably 10 more. Haven't included any goalies because I haven't checked what goalies have played some NHL games but are still Calder eligible.

Reactions: Kegs

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I posted the independent contractor podcast. I don't recall anything about a spectrum or autism, or whatever. So it's not from Divver, at least as far as I can tell.

Reactions: PlayMakers

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
For all the haters complaining about his development or lack there of....

Look in the mirror and tell me you are the same person you were at 19-20
Were you a finished product then?
Have you matured and changed your attitude and work ethic?

Reactions: Beyonder

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yes, I read this.

I was remiss in failing to include Ryan's latest assessment of Lysell's game.

It seems there's been quite the turnaround in opinion from several in the know.

That's all good news to me.

I don’t think it’s an accident that the coaches (McQuaid, too) all started publicly singing praises all at once when it was clear there is a roster spot for him to grab. The cynic in me wonders if there were instructions from above. Not that anything being said is true or not, but perhaps some confidence building thru the media after using the media to try to push him.

Wait....what? People are penciling him in for a top 6 role this season?

Hoo boy. HOOOOO BOY.

DeBrusk came into the top six at the same age after a worse AHL season.

Reactions: HustleB

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Compare the life track of a pro athlete in their formative years to that of the average person.

It’s not apples to apples. Silly comparison.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Really pulling for this guy, sadly he has a lot of detractors on this board. I think his 2 years in Providence has served him well and I think he steps up this year, he has the ability.

Reactions: ylekot

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Compare the life track of a pro athlete in their formative years to that of the average person.

It’s not apples to apples. Silly comparison.
Yeah they have a lot more pressure, far away from home and the world scrutinizing them and people waiting for them to screw up just so they can say they were right.

Lot harder for them when you don't have a chance to grow up and learn.

But again....a 19 year old mind, is a 19 year old mind

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Feb 3, 2009
also seguin and Thornton no?
Maybe. I don’t consider Seguin to be “quirky” or “different.” Pretty sure that’s not why any of them were traded. Kessel I guess is the closest.

Is it quirky to not know where the weight room is located?

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
DeBrusk came into the top six at the same age after a worse AHL season.
Was just going to say the same thing. Debrusk was put into a great spot in his first year.

If he gets put into a similar role in the top six, he's probably not seeing any more than 15 minutes a night. Likely all even strength so it's not really "top six minutes"

Geekie/Freddy would probably push up during key defensive situations.

It's a great time to see what we have in Lysell. I think his game is a really good compliment to Marchand and Coyle on the 2nd line. Awesome two-way players. Adds speed and creativity that was missing with guys like Heinen and JVR in various roles up there (as good as they were in their own ways)

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Maybe. I don’t consider Seguin to be “quirky” or “different.” Pretty sure that’s not why any of them were traded. Kessel I guess is the closest.

Is it quirky to not know where the weight room is located?

Phil's hand is in incredible shape now that he lugs three Stanley Cup rings around everywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad