Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Screenshot_2024-07-01-10-59-45-225_com.brave.browser-edit.jpg

Last time the leafs went to the finals they won 1 round for it :laugh:

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Chris Johnston also provided insight into Skinner’s decision, saying that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents with the franchise not considered a winning organization across the league.

Do you agree or disagree? I also saw an article the other day on why Stamkos rejected to sign with Toronto this summer.

Starts at 27:32

The time stamp you gave is just the beginning of a lot of well-tread Leafs talk that seems to go on for the rest of the show. Where exactly does anyone say that free agents don't find Toronto appealing anymore because they aren't a winning franchise?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Meh, I don't think they have gained or lost anything as a free agent destination than any other year.

The best they can do is build a winning organization to help with the recruitment, and to that end, I don't see how last year would change their perception from any one of the previous few years before that.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
OP embellishing quite a bit.

No, it says it all here too in more detail.

Here is Kypreos on the Leafs having to overpay for Tanev.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Not really. Perhaps what wasn't said is what you believe you be important.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Do you agree or disagree? I also saw an article the other day on why Stamkos rejected to sign with Toronto this summer.

so weird how you didn't link this article you made up, there wasn't any link between Stamkos and Toronto this year. They obviously had no room to spend over $8M on a guy like Stamkos who would have done little to address any needs.

so basically if Skinner signed in Toronto they were a hot destination, but because he didn't no one wants to be there. Okay.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019

C’mon man this is pretty brutal on your part. I read both those articles and listened to Chris J’s bit and he never says what you’re suggesting. Some unknown dude named Beaston(? Who I think is Bleacher’s NFL reporter)says it, that’s it. It’s not shocking someone would choose playing with McDavid who just went to a cup final over anyone else in the league.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Yeah thread title is blatant misinformation.

Chris Johnson: He’s going there [Edmonton] clearly to win. I mean, he could have signed for one year and $3 million in about ten spots,” Johnston said. “I know the Leafs were among the teams that had talked to him and were trying to pitch him in the idea, ‘Hey, you can play alongside Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner on our team!'”

Some guy named Erik Beaston (who?) then says Toronto "is no longer a championship destination."

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Only a few states in the US has that big of a tax difference. Only few that don't have an income tax. Not all states/cities have a jock tax either in the US. Washington state has no income tax and yet Seattle isn't exactly a prime destination yet why cause its not a cup contending team yet. I could argue toronto has a better chance for a player to win a cup than Seattle does.
Cmon. People choose the beaches over the rain state. A lot of people love living in cities with climates like Seattle but it’s definitely a certain kind of person. When the money is generally all equal amongst the no tax states then climate is going to play a huge role. Not just to the player but their significant others.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
But not 30 percent more.
Oh for sure hell some things are probably cheaper but regardless it's not all about the money. The biggest reason is they don't have nearly the pressure or criticism playing as a player in USA compared to Canada. One thing we don't consider is the pressure ones family might receive here as well. Not saying it happens but kids can be cruel imagine your kids getting ire from people here. Regardless players are choosing USA markets a hell of a lot more then Canadian ones and there has to be something to it.

Going by city alone Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are a hell of a lot nicer then a lot of the USA markets. There has to be some underlying reason players are choosing markets in USA over them.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Tbh Toronto is an amazing destination, you go there and get paid a ton, if you can win a round, amazing, if not don't worry because nobody is held accountable at all (see the fraud four)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don’t see how a player (like Skinner) choosing to ultimately sign in Edmonton after they were 2 goals from the Stanley Cup and having the best player in the world on their roster should be considered a negative reflection on the places he chose not to sign. That’s not how it works.

Someone here said Henrique took 500k less than Toronto offered to stay in Edmonton. First of all, never heard anything regarding Toronto & Henrique - sounds make up. But even if it’s true, should it be surprising a player wanted to stay in a situation that was good for them?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
It's the fans. That's why the don't want to sign there. They are ruthless. And I am a Leaf fan but not to the extent of some of these clowns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad