Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: The Next One

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Loving this new Pete Rock/Common project.
I started listening to it, but I'm too distracted by Em's album right now, haha. Im digging it even more the more I listen to it.

I do want to check it out, though. I really enjoyed Be. Haven't heard much of Common before or after that, though.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I started listening to it, but I'm too distracted by Em's album right now, haha. Im digging it even more the more I listen to it.

I do want to check it out, though. I really enjoyed Be. Haven't heard much of Common before or after that, though.
True, I'm a massive Common/De La/ATCQ fan and in my opinion Pete Rock made the best beat of all time (TROY). Big Em, fan but fell off post MM. Of old school rappers I'd say it's the best project since Nas's-Magic. Here's a sample. Bars wise Common's verse is unreal.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
True, I'm a massive Common/De La/ATCQ fan and in my opinion Pete Rock made the best beat of all time (TROY). Big Em, fan but fell off post MM. Of old school rappers I'd say it's the best project since Nas's-Magic. Here's a sample. Bars wise Common's verse is unreal.

This is rap music under the umbrella of Hip Hop. It's a shame that the genre has become mostly filled with terrible imposters. What they are doing is not rapping and should be called something else. Its truly a shame.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is rap music under the umbrella of Hip Hop. It's a shame that the genre has become mostly filled with terrible imposters. What they are doing is not rapping and should be called something else. Its truly a shame.
Sort of confused, are you calling that not rap music or saying music not like it isn't? Because in my opinion that is as close to pure hip hop you get in the mainstream now.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
"Rap is something you do, Hip Hop is something you live."

- KRS-One

What is being defined as Rap/Hip Hop today is not that at all and should be called something different. It's so fundamentally flawed that it has become music to enslave it's listeners and indoctrinate them into self destructive behaviour instead of preservation. No other music does this to its audience.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
"Rap is something you do, Hip Hop is something you live."

- KRS-One

What is being defined as Rap/Hip Hop today is not that at all and should be called something different. It's so fundamentally flawed that it has become music to enslave it's listeners and indoctrinate them into self destructive behaviour instead of preservation. No other music does this to its audience.
I see your point, but I don't think Common, Posdnuos or Pete Rock would fall under imposters. All 3 are pretty much legends of the genre. I also don't think anything by Common or Posdnuos encourages self destructive behaviour. Hell, Stakes is High by De La Soul pretty much was on the forefront of calling out that type of behaviour. If we were talking about someone like King Von, I'd get your point.

I mean, if you are quoting KRS-One, Posdnuos has pretty much the level of credence when it comes to hip hop.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I see your point, but I don't think Common, Posdnuos or Pete Rock would fall under imposters. All 3 are pretty much legends of the genre. I also don't think anything by Common or Posdnuos encourages self destructive behaviour. Hell, Stakes is High by De La Soul pretty much was on the forefront of calling out that type of behaviour. If we were talking about someone like King Von, I'd get your point.

I mean, if you are quoting KRS-One, Posdnuos has pretty much the level of credence when it comes to hip hop.
You read that completely wrong. In no way did I include Common, Posdnuos or Pete Rock in my post. I was talking about today's average rapper, not the real ones.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You read that completely wrong. In no way did I include Common, Posdnuos or Pete Rock in my post. I was talking about today's average rapper, not the real ones.
Okay, true, thought it was in response to my comment above just because I thought you called that rap music under the guise of hip hop. Cool.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Vultures 2 came out last weekend, and there’s apparently a lot wrong with it. Haven’t really listened myself but I do like Field Trip

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Duuude, I’ve trashed Eminem a few times on this forum, but I’ve been on a binge today listening to freestyles and shitting myself over them and then this drops.

Holy.

I haven't been feeling new hip hop for awhile outside of Black Thought's project with Dangermouse, but then I heavily got into Nas's stuff with Hit Boy.

I actually prefer the remix. Kurupt absolutely goes off.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I actually prefer the remix. Kurupt absolutely goes off.
I posted the whole album in that video, but for that track I prefer the original. It was the dialogue at the intro, and just felt warmer, louder, and a bit more stripped-down.

holy

Demigod
May 22, 2017
Damn hip hop is so dead i havent logged in in months and this is what i see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad