Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: The Next One

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't know where this shit came from, but it's f***ing amazing!
Rap music used to be so creative. I understand the lawsuit against De La Soul changed the way the average producer made beats but dam this way exposed you to so much more music. When you would find a sample someone used it was like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Rap music used to be so creative. I understand the lawsuit against De La Soul changed the way the average producer made beats but dam this way exposed you to so much more music. When you would find a sample someone used it was like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
That's a good point. In the late 80s Hip Hop was much more free to sample others and the music was better for it. Using samples is a way to honor music. I think music is free, or at least should be more free than it is with regards to copyright litigation. The music back then was just more fresh, simple, and creative.

I just saw a documentary called De La Soul Is Not Dead in response to your post. The Turtles sued De La Soul for over a million. This sort of thing can cripple artists or even entire genres. Anyways, the documentary was well worth the watch for me. Thanks!

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
That's a good point. In the late 80s Hip Hop was much more free to sample others and the music was better for it. Using samples is a way to honor music. I think music is free, or at least should be more free than it is with regards to copyright litigation. The music back then was just more fresh, simple, and creative.

I just saw a documentary called De La Soul Is Not Dead in response to your post. The Turtles sued De La Soul for over a million. This sort of thing can cripple artists or even entire genres. Anyways, the documentary was well worth the watch for me. Thanks!
The problem is clearing the samples. Kanye still samples and chopping beats is a way to get around getting sued but something is really lost when people who can't even play instruments are making music on a computer. Crate digging is a pastime being lost. When I hear someone say I made this beat in 20 minutes and did 3 songs today really makes you think of how much quality is lost or perfection not even being the end goal. Those 3 records I posted all had distinctive sounds for those artists but still relied on the cohesiveness of the melodies being put together.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm feeling Kendrick's new song. It'll put most people to sleep, but I like the message behind it and the flow. This is coming from someone who thought Mr. Morales was a snoozefest and would not listen to it twice even though it has a ton of substance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad