OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 season - part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And somehow buffalo is still alive. After the devils could have put them in the ground last Friday.
They’re hardly better off than we are. They’re only alive as in they’re not mathematically eliminated yet.

I’ve been saying for weeks now. Teams that have regulation loss 30 by game number 64 of the season don’t make the playoffs. Maybe they did before the league expanded to 28 or 30 teams.

They now have 35 regulation losses.

If 42-35-5 gets you in then everyone else just completely died out.

And that’s assuming Buffalo wins out. 89 points would be the lowest point total in the East to make the playoffs since both the Canadiens and Flyers made it in with 87 or 88 points in 09-10.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nice to know other teams also get embarrassed by the joke Coyotes. I thought it was just us and the Capitals.

Vegas looks like a first round exit waiting to happen. I don’t think they’re gonna wanna finish 3rd and get Edmonton. They’d probably rather face Vancouver.

Unless they’re gonna be like one of those teams that can just turn it on as soon as the playoffs start. Like the Kings for those three years between 2012 and 2014.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Nice to know other teams also get embarrassed by the joke Coyotes. I thought it was just us and the Capitals.

Vegas looks like a first round exit waiting to happen. I don’t think they’re gonna wanna finish 3rd and get Edmonton. They’d probably rather face Vancouver.

Unless they’re gonna be like one of those teams that can just turn it on as soon as the playoffs start. Like the Kings for those three years between 2012 and 2014.

With Rantanen apparently out indefinitely, it's 100% Dallas or Edmonton's conference. It depends if Oettinger or Skinner get their heads out of their asses

Reactions: Bleedred

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
We have equal or more wins then 5 teams ahead of us but are no where near them in points.

Blame the coaching staff for shelling with leads in the third to purposely play for OT when this team is not built to sit back at all and defend with the goaltending it has. Also doesn't help we're playing the fourth line in critical ice time most of the year too.

Reactions: Guttersniped

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Literally every possible thing had to go wrong for this Devils team to miss the playoffs lmao.

Can’t wait for next season. I trust Fitz will make the correct moves and we will be back on the rise.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With Rantanen apparently out indefinitely, it's 100% Dallas or Edmonton's conference. It depends if Oettinger or Skinner get their heads out of their asses
How about Colorado? Georgiev is another one that needs to get his head out of his ass. They’ve gotten Rangers Georgiev this year and he was once again a mess tonight.

My biggest question about Dallas is their age. There’s a lot of age on that team. Seguin, Benn, Duchene, Suter, Pavelski. Benn has gotta be 35 by now and Suter and Pavelski have gotta be 40 soon.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Saw a playoff commercial and it just made hate this team more
IMG_4948.jpeg
IMG_4947.jpeg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Seattle passed us last night with 77 points. We are 9th worst right now.

Calgary is 3 points behind up with a game in hand....rooting for Coleman and Sharangovich for the rest of the season now.

Both Coleman and Sharangovich have 29 goals at the moment to lead Calgary. I hope they both get 30 on the same day.

Hey wouldn't a Coleman Zacha Sharangovich be an amazing 3rd line for competing team?

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Blame the coaching staff for shelling with leads in the third to purposely play for OT when this team is not built to sit back at all and defend with the goaltending it has. Also doesn't help we're playing the fourth line in critical ice time most of the year too.
This feels so right, but also seems so wrong.

Imo, the issue is that the players won’t execute safe plays. They’re constantly wanting to freelance. That leads to a) playing the fourth line because they’re most likely to do what’s expected, and b) breakdowns from other lines because they take risks.

Teams can continue to push for offense up 1-2 goals in the third period, but they shouldn’t play as if they’re down a goal (or up 5). This team just doesn’t understand that yet. It’s immaturity on the part of the players.

That said, feels much better / easier to blame the coaches. So I’m on board with that too.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
This feels so right, but also seems so wrong.

Imo, the issue is that the players won’t execute safe plays. They’re constantly wanting to freelance. That leads to a) playing the fourth line because they’re most likely to do what’s expected, and b) breakdowns from other lines because they take risks.

Teams can continue to push for offense up 1-2 goals in the third period, but they shouldn’t play as if they’re down a goal (or up 5). This team just doesn’t understand that yet. It’s immaturity on the part of the players.

That said, feels much better / easier to blame the coaches. So I’m on board with that too.

That's still on the coaching staff, you don't make your players randomly change mid game when they aren't built to like that. The entire point of a coaching staff is to elevate your players's best assets not make them worse

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
That's still on the coaching staff, you don't make your players randomly change mid game when they aren't built to like that. The entire point of a coaching staff is to elevate your players's best assets not make them worse
Eh. The players are built fine. They’re just making bad decisions. That’s a thing they can learn.

This is, “play your position responsibly” vs “fly the zone and look for a breakaway”. Or “chip the puck deep” vs “try to beat two guys in the neutral zone and carry it in”. Or, “clear the puck from the D zone” vs “make a risky stretch pass”. The safer options are all things the Devils can do. They just don’t do them consistently.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Calgary is 3 points behind up with a game in hand....rooting for Coleman and Sharangovich for the rest of the season now.

Both Coleman and Sharangovich have 29 goals at the moment to lead Calgary. I hope they both get 30 on the same day.

Hey wouldn't a Coleman Zacha Sharangovich be an amazing 3rd line for competing team?
I don’t think any of those guys play on a third line and none of them are really paid as third liners. Maybe Shara is but it’s borderline. It wouldn’t be fair to expect them all to play down in the lineup. I’d take Coleman back in a second over Palat but Zacha and Shara should stay where they are. NJ neeeds different styles of players.

Reactions: Guadana

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Eh. The players are built fine. They’re just making bad decisions. That’s a thing they can learn.

This is, “play your position responsibly” vs “fly the zone and look for a breakaway”. Or “chip the puck deep” vs “try to beat two guys in the neutral zone and carry it in”. Or, “clear the puck from the D zone” vs “make a risky stretch pass”. The safer options are all things the Devils can do. They just don’t do them consistently.

Again, how is that not on the coaching staff? It'd be on the players if they were legit not capable of being NHLers, most of the Devils forwards are.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017

it’s not just that though. look at the leads we gave up just in March - it wasn’t “play your position,” it was “ease off the forecheck and sit back, conceding zone exits and try to stabilize the neutral zone” which is not this teams strength.

last year the team pushed forward from the start of the game to the finish. it’s why they didn’t give up third period leads and why they kept coming back when they were done. the three leads we blew to mediocre teams just in march is the difference between being in and out of the playoffs, as bad as we are. that part is on coaching

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

The Islanders have 2 less wins but are 7 points ahead of us.:confused:
I have - for all that - no doubt that they are a substantially better team than we are right now. Stronger in goal and on defense (Pelech, Pullock, Dobson, Romanov, etc., mostly big, strong, athletic and experienced and play together well as units) plus a less anemic forward group than we have. Lamoriello made some good moves and signings and bringing in Roy has worked out too, I hate to admit.

My argument here is that the current loser point system has yielded a surprisingly intuitive result.

We are not very good right now. In a 7 game series I would not bet on us against the Isles at the moment.

Earlier in the year with a 100% Jack Hughes I would have handicapped it differently. But for whatever reasons, who knows, I don’t think we are more deserving than they are to go to the playoffs right at this time.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Who cares.

Coleman didn’t want to sign with us as an UFA, he’s gone.

Not sure Zacha even signs for 4 years/4.75m with us, he’s happier in Boston playing center with Pasta.

We could still have Sharangovich.

Last edited:
Reactions: glenwo2

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Coleman's the only good defensive player on that line lmao and the other 2 aren't line drivers

Who cares.

Coleman didn’t want to sign with us as an UFA, he’s gone.

We could still have Sharangovich.

Not sure Zacha even signs for 4 years/4.75m with us, he’s happier in Boston playing center with Pasta.

It wouldn't be Jim if he wasn't trying to troll us about something the Devils did in the past, credit to him sticking to his shtick lol

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You people are too sensitive. I like to root for former Devils. Especially ones that were drafted and spent a lot of time here....I like to see them doing well too I don't like feel some jilted lover when a player leaves.

Except for Niedermayer. I still hold a lot of animosity towards him...a little bit for Parise but not nearly as much as Niedermayer.

Last edited:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
In the last three games..

If we held on to two goal leads, like good teams do, we'd be one game out of the wildcard.

If we held on to third period leads, like good teams do, we'd be one game out of the wildcard.

If we just held on to our leads, we'd be in a playoff position.

Of these three games, we couldn't even squeak out overtime, where we tend to do well in.

We're not a good team. We don't deserve to make the playoffs. Those other teams play within the rules of the system. I'd rather have a team who loses 3 on 3 or shootouts, than one who loses in regulation more often than not.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
You people are too sensitive. I like to root for former Devils. Especially ones that were drafted and spent a lot of time here....I like to see them doing well too I don't like feel some jilted lover when a player leaves.

Except for Niedermayer. I still hold a lot of animosity towards him...a little bit for Parise but not nearly as much as Niedermayer.

Driver and Gomez too.

Rupp I still have a bit of animosity after the 2012 shove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad