OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I actual look don’t think the rangers defense is that bad. Their problem is they get pinned in and can’t maintain puck possession. But positionally and with their sticks they don’t allow a lot of clean looks. The panthers are having to work hard to get into scoring position.
Ya, I don't think Florida is "gripping their sticks too tight" as much as the Rag's make it difficult to get clean looks.

Granted, because of Shesterkin I do think Florida, when they do get looks, are trying to be extra fine with their shots, which is leading to a lot of shots going high and wide. And when you double up those layers, a buckled up defense and then a high end goalie, Florida may be then "gripping tight" to some extent, but a lot of it is just Rag's getting sticks on puck and clogging lanes.

There does seem to be a ton of scrambles in front of Igor which leads to decent chances, but not much by grade A chances.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, this series really should be 3-1 Florida and could've easily been a sweep if not for Sheshterkin, but with a win like that last night I hope Florida stops gripping their sticks too tightly when they get chances on Igor, they can absolutely do this even if he's going to keep making things difficult.
Could Florida have swept? Yes.

But I do think it's fair to say Rag's was the better team in game 2. Game 3 was part Igor game, but also part great finishing, which is something Rag's are good at. It's not like Rag's won that one 2-1. They did score 5. Bleed was trying to lay that on Bob, but those were just excellent goals for by NY.

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
Reading the Rangers post game thread after a loss is my equivalent to comfort food. I know it’s a bit pathetic (from me), but I can’t help it and it makes me feel good.

On the other hand I’m surprised to see that Laf is actually becoming one of their best players. I didn’t think he had it in him, but if he sustains this level of play next season I’m ready to admit I was wrong.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Reading the Rangers post game thread after a loss is my equivalent to comfort food. I know it’s a bit pathetic (from me), but I can’t help it and it makes me feel good.

On the other hand I’m surprised to see that Laf is actually becoming one of their best players. I didn’t think he had it in him, but if he sustains this level of play next season I’m ready to admit I was wrong.
Unfortunately I'm already there. He's good.

And he's still not a guy getting PP1.

But unlike the rest of the Rag's big name players, he doesn't need the PP. When he get's it though his stats will be that much better.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
without igor, they likely don't get past the canes let alone the panthers. the rangers are absolute dogshit 5 on 5 and it shows.

and i'm sure it's been said, but i'm thrilled the dps didn't suspend trouba. if they lose this series, i'm betting he gets the C stripped at the very least...despite his prestigious mark messier award :laugh:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
without igor, they likely don't get past the canes let alone the panthers. the rangers are absolute dogshit 5 on 5 and it shows.

and i'm sure it's been said, but i'm thrilled the dps didn't suspend trouba. if they lose this series, i'm betting he gets the C stripped at the very least...despite his prestigious mark messier award :laugh:

Trouba was absolutely brutal on the OT winner. Have no idea what he was thinking. Races out to go after Tkachuk on the wall, leaving a 2 on 1 down low for the winner.

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
Trouba was absolutely brutal on the OT winner. Have no idea what he was thinking. Races out to go after Tkachuk on the wall, leaving a 2 on 1 down low for the winner.

The Rangers PK is super aggressive. This can destabilize a power play but once the other team has figured it out it leaves tons of opportunities.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

You see the RD going up the wall moments earlier.

By design to some extent I imagine.

The Rangers PK is super aggressive. This can destabilize a power play but once the other team has figured it out it leaves tons of opportunities.
Super aggressive, and very good. But live by the sword, die by the sword.

Reactions: HBK27

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember when I told a few Rags buddies that Shesterkin would end up being better than Hank and got eye rolls in 21-22. The fact they're losing the special teams and 5v5 battle and are in a 2-2 series with an elite Florida team is f***ing absurd. Granted, these skaters are probably better than anything Hank had but this team plays no f***ing defense in front of Shesterkin like maybe the 11-12 Rags did with Torts commitment to shot blocking.
The scary part is that Shesterkin probably is/will be better than Lundqvist.

And Lundqvist was than Richter, who was still a very good goalie and one that I was a fan of and wished we had him over Sean Burke lol.

When are we gonna catch our break again? :laugh:

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
The scary part is that Shesterkin probably is/will be better than Lundqvist.

And Lundqvist was than Richter, who was still a very good goalie and one that I was a fan of and wished we had him over Sean Burke lol.

When are we gonna catch our break again? :laugh:

To be fair, Brodeur was better than all of them, and is a legit top 5 ever goalie. Schneider, who came right after, was also a top in the league (at the time) goaltender, elite if not generational.

But yeah, since his health declined precipitously... we've had road cones. And it wasn't great before Brodeur really. We have fondness for Terreri and Chevrier but they weren't that great.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Seems the Panthers are finding a way to take advantage of their constant puck possession - cause some chaos around the net. I think they’ve unlocked the key. We’ll see.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Idc too much about Laf since he has 0 ties to the Devils. I'm just glad crapo is still looking like a bust. They made the right choice there :)

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Actually, that's a fine play. It is an aggressive playstyle instead of just passively sitting around. What is the other option for him? Pressure the guy behind the net when the puck was going to Tkachuk? Or just sit in the slot? The Panthers countered it very well more than I'd say it was bad by him. To counter an aggressive pk like that you need to make quick accurate passes, something the Devils struggle really hard with.

Reactions: Guttersniped

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Actually, that's a fine play. It is an aggressive playstyle instead of just passively sitting around. What is the other option for him? Pressure the guy behind the net when the puck was going to Tkachuk? Or just sit in the slot? The Panthers countered it very well more than I'd say it was bad by him. To counter an aggressive pk like that you need to make quick accurate passes, something the Devils struggle really hard with.
Ya for all the criticisms that got thrown towards our PP coaches, in a play like that it's really just about execution.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
it was a terrible play lol. completely took himself away from the most dangerous part of the ice. on a PK in overtime, no less.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

The problem with playing this aggressive in the playoffs is that teams can gameplan this, whereas they really can't do that in the regular season. If this really is how the Rangers' PK reacts to this situation - and I think you're right, even though Trouba throws himself out of position all the time 5v5 - it's going to open them up to set plays like this. While they're not in terrible shape on the Reinhart shot - there is at least a guy there to block it - it doesn't take some sort of fantastic passing sequence to get to this point.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The problem with playing this aggressive in the playoffs is that teams can gameplan this, whereas they really can't do that in the regular season. If this really is how the Rangers' PK reacts to this situation - and I think you're right, even though Trouba throws himself out of position all the time 5v5 - it's going to open them up to set plays like this. While they're not in terrible shape on the Reinhart shot - there is at least a guy there to block it - it doesn't take some sort of fantastic passing sequence to get to this point.
Why can teams gameplan this in the playoffs but not the reg season?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
it was a terrible play lol. completely took himself away from the most dangerous part of the ice. on a PK in overtime, no less.

no....you're always gunna be down 1 man short. What do you mean took himself away from the most dangerous part of the ice? Was the other d-man supposed to go pressure Tkachuk then? Were they supposed to have 2 guys in the slot? Like I said, that's more of a passive pk strategy, which they don't use. The hatred against Trouba is blinding you guys.

I'd argue it's on him that he didn't win that puck battle more than him "taking himself out of position", also on the other guy for not reacting to the pass fast enough.

Reactions: Guttersniped

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Agreed, they will have to adjust their pk if the Panthers can counter it effectively, because it will expose them real bad. If it were that easy though, not a single team would use an aggressive pk strategy ever.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You see the RD going up the wall moments earlier.

By design to some extent I imagine.

Super aggressive, and very good. But live by the sword, die by the sword.

you can afford to be super agressive on the pk with a goalie of that caliber. it honestly took a rocket top bar down to beat him a legit perfect shot anything other he makes the save

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad