Post-Game Talk: Ooh Baby Almost A Comeback! Leafs 4, Jets 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Reimer - 19 shots faced
Bernier - 13 shots faced

Hm?

Bernier conceded a soft GWG.

Hm? x 2

I'd take 1 goal soft or not for every 35 minutes of play at a 923 save percentage every single game. Heck stats like that might get a goalie Vezina consideration. Tough crowd here.:laugh:

TheThrill81*

I'd take 1 goal soft or not for every 35 minutes of play at a 923 save percentage every single game. Heck stats like that might get a goalie Vezina's consideration. Tough crowd here.:laugh:

Unfortunately our goalies don't face 13 shots every game. So not a tough crowd at all in this case, more like establishing context. If you want to see a tough crowd, go to the Dion Phaneuf thread.

Some people in this thread have a problem with acknowledging that both our goalies didn't play well, and that this time it was our offense that salvaged a point.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Unfortunately our goalies don't face 13 shots every game. So not a tough crowd at all in this case, more like establishing context. If you want to see a tough crowd, go to the Dion Phaneuf thread.

Some people in this thread have a problem with acknowledging that both our goalies didn't play well, and that this time it was our offense that salvaged a point.

That's was 13 shots for 35 minutes, not a full game. Anyway we obviously disagree. I'm fine with that.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Reimer was terrible. That first goal, on the first shot of the game, was just beyond bad. It hit him in the chest and then rolled in. The other goals were obviously tougher to stop but they all went under his legs or in his five hole. The third and fourth goals should be stopped, or at least one of the 2.

The goal against Bernier was far tougher to stop. Deflected right in the top corner of the net, not many goaltenders stop that.

Either way, at least we battled back and got a point. We had a bit of bad luck overall and I thought we really took it to them.

2-1-1 in this road trip? I'll take it. Not many thought we'd even one.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
What a joke, you bring up playing Kane into the corner on the rush, then downplay Wheeler walking around him and scoring. :shakehead

If you watch Franson you'll see a lot of mistakes because he's making them non-stop. For a supposedly talented defenceman he loses the puck off his stick and fans on passes way too often. Unlike Gardiner and Rielly he doesn't have the speed to make up for his errors, he's not that young anymore, and he's visibly worse at every facet of the game than he was last season.

Franson never gets caught behind the opposition's net like Jake does on with regularity. Thanks to the newfound defensive responsibility in JVR, nothing came out of that play.

TheThrill81*

Reimer was terrible. That first goal, on the first shot of the game, was just beyond bad. It hit him in the chest and then rolled in. The other goals were obviously tougher to stop but they all went under his legs or in his five hole. The third and fourth goals should be stopped, or at least one of the 2.

I fail to see how the 1st goal was on Reimer, the puck just found a way to trickle into the net. He was positioned properly to face it, goals like that have happened plenty of times in the NHL to even the best goalies.

The 2nd goal was horrible, Reimer's five-hole was way too exposed which resulted him not being able to close it down quick enough. The 3rd goal I think would've beat most goalies, it was a great redirection off a shot. Inability to clear the puck and being constantly screened was a result of the 4th goal.

So that's definitely 1, and maybe 2 goals that are on Reimer.

The goal against Bernier was far tougher to stop. Deflected right in the top corner of the net, not many goaltenders stop that.

And yet when a deflected shot goes past Reimer, he's expected to stop it. I've seen this double standard used before (not referring to you, just in general).

Agreed. Now if we can achieve a similar or better result in March when we have a 5 game road-trip (first 3 in California), that would be great. :yo:

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011

Either way, at least we battled back and got a point. We had a bit of bad luck overall and I thought we really took it to them.

There's absolutely no way Reimer was going to stop those last 2 goals...period. The deflection off little, he may have had a shot, but it was so quick. But sorry, that Bogosian goal, he couldn't even see what happened. How that puck got through 5-6 guys is beyond me, but there's no way Reimer could stop that, far less see it.

His first 2 goals were stinky though...real bad. But the team has to be held accountable for those other 2.

Great comeback, great extra point. 5 out of 8 points on a western road trip that I thought would give them real issues. Bring on Tampa!

TheThrill81*

We play the Bolts and Panthers twice each in the last 6 games before the break. A storm is coming, fingers crossed our Leafs can weather it.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Really lame team goaltending in the past few games. Highly uncharacteristic. The rest of the team is actually playing very well. The forecheck and possession game that didn't exist at all for the first half of the season is finally there.

The goaltending will come back, though.

When this team all comes together, they'll be seriously dangerous. Even having a 4-1 lead in the 3rd against the Leafs isn't safe. Everything will be fine.

TheThrill81*

Really lame team goaltending in the past few games. Highly uncharacteristic. The rest of the team is actually playing very well. The forecheck and possession game that didn't exist at all for the first half of the season is finally there.

The goaltending will come back, though.

When this team all comes together, they'll be seriously dangerous. Even having a 4-1 lead in the 3rd against the Leafs isn't safe. Everything will be fine.

How about that eh? For once the Leafs come back in the 3rd period to force an overtime. :laugh: :handclap:

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
When your starting goalie fails to make more than one big save, you usually lose the game. The Leafs were very fortunate to get a point under those circumstances.

The hits/blocked shots number were a classic case of homer inflation of stats.

Blake Wheeler continues to be a major Leafs' killer.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Everyone take a deep breath and look at the standings. We're sitting in 3rd in the division, we've improved since the beginning of the road trip. Sure we lost in OT and goaltending was shaky but we got a very important point and come home with a 2-1-1 record on a tough road trip. All in all we're looking very good right now standings wise. Just have to have another strong run here to finish off before the Olympic break and we should be fine. Just relax a bit and look at the big picture.

If we can go 3-0 or even 2-0-1 on this home stand then we can start to separate ourselves even more from the pack. We should be able to beat both Florida and Ottawa. The TB game will be a tough one. I really am disturbed though at how badly we play against Florida, for some reason we really lay an egg. I'm not sure if we let up a bit or take them for granted, but somehow we have terrible games against them, I really want to make a statement against them and destroy them. They shouldn't even be on our level to be quite honest.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Somewhere along the way Phil Kessel has become more of a factor late in games than he was in his first years as a Leaf. He used to look gassed. Now, he looks potentially dangerous right to his last shift of the game.

TheThrill81*

When your starting goalie fails to make more than one big save, you usually lose the game. The Leafs were very fortunate to get a point under those circumstances.

I guess the Leafs' mediocre penalty kill had nothing to do with them losing the game? Or do we just sweep that under the rug to pander to the #TradeReimer neanderthals?

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Somewhere along the way Phil Kessel has become more of a factor late in games than he was in his first years as a Leaf. He used to look gassed. Now, he looks potentially dangerous right to his last shift of the game.

Imagine if Carlyle iced a 4th line that can actually play about 10 mins a game.

Problem is they are dead last in 4th line ice time and it shows in games where our top players are gassed come the 3rd period.

You need a 4th line that can roll 10 mins and be plus hockey and even chip in.

Orr cannot play those minutes and that kills the 4th line.

Sabs*

Leafs are lucky to leave with a point jets were the better team all night.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Gardiner's giveaways are getting to be ridiculous. The guy is so out of it in his own zone. What he gives you in the offensive zone he takes away in his own end. I honestly don't know how the coaching staff doesn't blow a top over it.

How they let that team walk all over them last night was brutal. The amount of cord they give them in the neutral end and the speed they gave up reminded me of Wilson's teams. This team is so much better than that........and personally, I am tired of the way Reimer is with the puck. Say what you want but his rebound control is not that great. The way he handles the puck behind his net makes you want to pull out your hair.

That was a costly point last night and they just folded up in OT. WTF?!

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are lucky to leave with a point jets were the better team all night.

They sure had a bunch of prime time a quality chances all right.

They could have more goals.

Bernier came in a closed the door and didn't give up another goal and it allowed the Leafs to steal a point in a game that looked lost.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
5 points out of a possible 8. We beat teams ahead of us in the standings and gutted out a point last night. Still lots of problems- loose D coverage and a pathetic PK, but there are many things to be happy about the growth of this team.

Go Leafs.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Gardiners play is really coming on. The only D that can get out of tight spots with stick handling and speed. Has such a great ability to get the puck out of the zone by himself and force the other team to pull back. Gardiner and Reilly are the only D that have a chance of carrying the puck out of the D zone. The rest just chip it out and the forwards can't generate any speed through the neutral zone. They should be on the Pk, they could at least get to loose pucks and clear the zone. The rest of the D stand around like a bunch of cones. Keep putting them out there and its will pay dividends in the playoffs!

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
Imo, Gardiner has played his worst hockey defnsively this year in the past month. I get the sense that he's trying to assume the veteran role on his current pairing with Rielly. He looks like he's thinking too much in his own end and he is slow to react a number of times. Gardiner should not be the guy with the most experience on his D pairing at this point in time. He still needs to learn a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad