Post-Game Talk: Ooh Baby Almost A Comeback! Leafs 4, Jets 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Its hard to find solace in a point when you realize the team always manages to put themselves in holes, from which when they recover, they're lauded.

This has been the story of the entire season. We have defensemen constantly making boneheaded plays. Cody Franson was once again absolutely terrible for parts of the game for which the other team made us pay.

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I don't take solace in the position the Leafs have found themselves in. We're a flawed hockey team and we've played like a flawed hockey team the entire season. We haven't played a single game this year after which I've been content with them giving a full 60 minute effort. It's actually pretty pathetic.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Its hard to find solace in a point when you realize the team always manages to put themselves in holes, from which when they recover, they're lauded.

This has been the story of the entire season. We have defensemen constantly making boneheaded plays. Cody Franson was once again absolutely terrible for parts of the game for which the other team made us pay.

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I don't take solace in the position the Leafs have found themselves in. We're a flawed hockey team and we've played like a flawed hockey team the entire season. We haven't played a single game this year after which I've been content with them giving a full 60 minute effort. It's actually pretty pathetic.

I was pretty much with you until the pathetic part. Living where I do it's pretty much 30/30/30 Habs/Sens/Leafs and the the story has been up and down all season, my friends who are Habs and Senator fans are bats hit crazy right now. Flawed? Yes outside of Chicago who isn't? Watching kings/ducks right now and they appear to be grinding squads who are both top contenders. Granted I can only think of a handful of games this year that I thought the Leafs played really well. Make the playoffs at all cost!

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Really, not a single game? I would say that there aren't many to choose from but I would say that they've had some solid efforts in the season so far.

The team is flawed which is why they play flawed hockey. The talent is there is there on some levels and lacking on other levels and that provides inconsistent hockey. Before the season even started the Leafs were considered a team that would have to fight for that wildcard spot. I'm not sure why people get so disappointed in where this team is at and how they're playing when the predictions for this team (which are reasonable) has always suggested that they are a flawed hockey team. Strong hockey teams aren't pencilled into a wildcard spot. They are assumed to have an automatic spot all locked up. That isn't the Leafs.

TheThrill81*

Both goalies were bleh but at least we got a point. Bernier came in cold though so can't blame him

What kind of excuse is that? :laugh:

Our penalty kill didn't do much to help either. But at least we got the point, 5 out 8 on this road trip is good all things considered.

Six games left before the Olympic break, 4 of which are at home. Let's make 'em count boys. Go Leafs Go!! :handclap:

If Bernier starts the win would of been ours.

And you deduced this from Bernier's "stellar" performance of 2 goals allowed on 14 shots? :shakehead

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Our penalty kill didn't do much to help either. But at least we got the point, 5 out 8 on this road trip is good all things considered.

Six games left before the Olympic break, 4 of which are at home. Let's make 'em count boys. Go Leafs Go!! :handclap:

And you deduced this from Bernier's "stellar" performance of 2 goals allowed on 14 shots? :shakehead

He let in 1 goal on 13 shots..

nic16

Jan 7, 2014
Certainly not a goalie clinic from either team tonite. Reimer let the Jets get off to a quick lead, but Pavelec let the Leafs back in the game. OT was all Jets though and the game ended the way it should have. Nice comeback by the Leafs, but an impressive recovery by the Jets.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
My mistake. It was still a weak goal though, neither goalie played well earlier tonight.

You realize that shot was deflected off of Gleason's stick, right? Given the distance between Gleason and Bernier on that shot, I wouldn't say it was a weak goal to give up. Not to mention that Byfuglien was in prime real estate and he's got a wicked shot on his own merit. Sometimes a shot is just a really good shot. People seem to think that the only forgiveable kind of goals are ones with traffic, deflections or two on ones. That's not the case. Would you discredit Kessel's awesome game tying goal because it came from a bad angle? Is that bad on the goalie or is it a testament to the offensive abilities of Kessel? Given the nature of the player that scored the goal (and he's done it quite a bit this season alone), would you not be inclined to give the credit to the goal scorer?

TheThrill81*

You realize that shot was deflected off of Gleason's stick, right? Given the distance between Gleason and Bernier on that shot, I wouldn't say it was a weak goal to give up. Not to mention that Byfuglien was in prime real estate and he's got a wicked shot on his own merit. Sometimes a shot is just a really good shot. People seem to think that the only forgiveable kind of goals are ones with traffic, deflections or two on ones. That's not the case. Would you discredit Kessel's awesome game tying goal because it came from a bad angle? Is that bad on the goalie or is it a testament to the offensive abilities of Kessel? Given the nature of the player that scored the goal (and he's done it quite a bit this season alone), would you not be inclined to give the credit to the goal scorer?

You're comparing a difficult angle goal by Kessel - which he has a knack for scoring - to the one Bernier let in? Please, just quit while you're behind. :shakehead

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
You're comparing a difficult angle goal by Kessel - which he has a knack for scoring - to the one Bernier let in? Please, just quit while you're behind. :shakehead

My point was two fold. The shot was deflected. The shot was by a player who has a great shot and was in a great scoring area on the ice. I used Kessel as an example to show that sometimes you tip your cap to the player rather than assume it was a bad goal by the goalie. Was it a stoppable puck? Sure, it's not like he had all the odds stacked against him but it wasn't a soft goal to give up though it would have been a nice stop to have made for the team's sake. I could say the same thing about Reimer's second goal. It was a great play by the Jets player in tight but there was no traffic, no deflection, it didn't require Reimer to move much in his crease...he just didn't close his 5 hole fast enough with the shot in tight. Was it a soft goal? Not at all but you see goalies close their 5 holes and make that stop enough times to say that it's possible to save - but if the goalie can't make the stop you don't deduce it to being a goal that the goal should have had without question.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I dunno guys. A couple of screened deflected goals by Reimer.

Then the buds come back to salvage the point.

I'm just not that upset about this one, that was a huge point. Showed character.

Polo*

man reimer has been looking horrific for awhile now...

wont be long before hes on a team like Edmonton. You can tell he doesnt like his situation

It used to be all smiles and god bless the win. Riding high. Now, nothing but negative feelins

TheThrill81*

I dunno guys. A couple of screened deflected goals by Reimer.

Then the buds come back to salvage the point.

I'm just not that upset about this one, that was a huge point. Showed character.

This. Like I said earlier, 5 out of 8 points in a difficult road trip like this is actually really good. Also take into account all the hype with regards to how the Western conference is supposedly way better.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

lmao you clearly did not even watch the game.

Bernier let in 2 goals? Stop watching box scores and actually watch the games before making comments like that

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Happy we fought back and got a point, and also surpassed Montreal :laugh:

Reasons we lost this game were pretty atypical for the team, ill-timed penalties, bad PKing, and defensive breakdowns. Goaltending also wasn't as sharp tonight as it normally is.

Personally I thought Carl Gunnarsson had a horrible game and I truly thought he had sealed the game when he took that idiotic penalty for hitting from behind. Surprised we were able to come back from that. Franson was also his usual self, bad.

Still, very entertaining game, glad to see some pushback finally.

Geese_Howard*

So Reimer is the scapegoat? Not his best game but some of you are throwing him to the wolves. Bernier is the starter and should be but what if he gets hurt? He's never played a full season before. I'm glad we have 2 competent goalies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
3rd place baby. We definitely deserved a better fate we showed a lot of character in the comeback. Bernier played very well.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
This. Like I said earlier, 5 out of 8 points in a difficult road trip like this is actually really good. Also take into account all the hype with regards to how the Western conference is supposedly way better.

The east has been dominating the west since mid december. With how tight the race is 5 out of 8 is not "really good"

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The east has been dominating the west since mid december. With how tight the race is 5 out of 8 is not "really good"

5 of 8 projects to a 102 point season...
And that would be playing all games on the road. I'd say that is really good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad