Post-Game Talk: Ooh Baby Almost A Comeback! Leafs 4, Jets 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Imagine if Carlyle iced a 4th line that can actually play about 10 mins a game.

Problem is they are dead last in 4th line ice time and it shows in games where our top players are gassed come the 3rd period.

You need a 4th line that can roll 10 mins and be plus hockey and even chip in.

Orr cannot play those minutes and that kills the 4th line.

Strange game to bring this up. The 4th line had a great game last night.

10 minutes is too much ice time for most team's 4th line. What you want ideally is a 4th line that can play against more than the opposition's 4th line.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Last 5 games a goal and 2 assists and a +1. Has a couple of turnovers and that makes him bad?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
That's kind of a silly perspective on the game, no? "Haha, we suck but they suck more!" Why are we as fans so concerned about another team or their fans?

I have always had friends and also co-workers who are Habs fans. It's fun ribbing each other and it goes both ways. Believe me they enjoy our troubles as well but you make it seem like I inferred it's taken super serious between the 2 fanbases.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
I guess the Leafs' mediocre penalty kill had nothing to do with them losing the game? Or do we just sweep that under the rug to pander to the #TradeReimer neanderthals?

The most important penalty killer is the goalie. The Jets had merely 4 shots on the power play against Reimer and scored on two of them. It's not like he stood on his head before giving way.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
Last 5 games a goal and 2 assists and a +1. Has a couple of turnovers and that makes him bad?

Who are you talking about? Gardiner? I don't think he's bad I really like him. I think he is playing worse defensively this past month than he has shown he's capable of. I believe it is somewhat because he's playing with Rielly and it's affected how he thinks he should be playing. Of course this is all just my opinion.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I have always had friends and also co-workers who are Habs fans. It's fun ribbing each other and it goes both ways. Believe me they enjoy our troubles as well but you make it seem like I inferred it's taken super serious between the 2 fanbases.

What I'm saying is, we are fans of Toronto Maple Leafs, watched our team lose to the Winnipeg Jets. I'm just not sure where 'Haha, Montreal is bad' came in to it.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Imo, Gardiner has played his worst hockey defnsively this year in the past month. I get the sense that he's trying to assume the veteran role on his current pairing with Rielly. He looks like he's thinking too much in his own end and he is slow to react a number of times. Gardiner should not be the guy with the most experience on his D pairing at this point in time. He still needs to learn a lot.

Agreed. I don't know why they don't pair one with Dion

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
What I'm saying is, we are fans of Toronto Maple Leafs, watched our team lose to the Winnipeg Jets. I'm just not sure where 'Haha, Montreal is bad' came in to it.

Considering that this fanbase is always being labelled bi-polar compared to other "more knowledgeable and rational fanbases" and the Habs fanbase is always one of the ones used a model it's always good to point out that they really are no different than our universally crapped on fanbase. Yes we lost to the Jets but got a valuable point to move ahead of Montreal with their team falling into disarray. Should we be celebrating Habs wins instead? Has it got to the point where we can't even mention other teams here now?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Considering that this fanbase is always being labelled bi-polar compared to other "more knowledgeable and rational fanbases" and the Habs fanbase is always one of the ones used a model it's always good to point out that they really are no different than our universally crapped on fanbase. Yes we lost to the Jets but got a valuable point to move ahead of Montreal with their team falling into disarray. Should we be celebrating Habs wins instead? Has it got to the point where we can't even mention other teams here now?

Yeah, we moved one point ahead of them and they still have 2 games on us. At the end of the season, are we hoping they only play 80 games? Because they'll play 82. In fact, we've played the most games out of any of the playoff teams and only 4 points separate us from the 2nd wildcard spot/being out of the playoffs. They've been superior to our team for years now. We also have 6 less ROW than them.

What else can we say about the other teams around us?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Agreed. I don't know why they don't pair one with Dion

To properly balance the D it should be

Gardiner Dion
Rielly Gleason
Franson Gooner

That's not a knock on Gooner he is a great D but if you want some attack on every pairing that what you do. When protecting you switch to.

Gooner Dion
Gleason Gardiner
Rielly Franson (limited minutes)

Ideally trade Franson and Ranger Gooner would actually be a good last pairing

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
For the record, I was defending Reimer from some of the **** being thrown at him in the past, but definitely two of those goals he really should have had.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, we moved one point ahead of them and they still have 2 games on us. At the end of the season, are we hoping they only play 80 games? Because they'll play 82. In fact, we've played the most games out of any of the playoff teams and only 4 points separate us from the 2nd wildcard spot/being out of the playoffs. They've been superior to our team for years now. We also have 6 less ROW than them.

What else can we say about the other teams around us?
So all discussion about this team's and the teams around us playoff chances must cease till they make up their games in hand? The way the schedule seems to be laid out that isn't going to be happening any time soon as the Leafs just keep playing a minimum 3 games a week. Should be interesting to see if all these teams win their games in hand.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.

At one point we were tied with them when they had 3 games on us.

Improvements! ;)

If you took the winner point out of OT/SO (e.g. games ended in ties), Montreal would be up 8 points on us at the end of the season (based on current point%). If you take the loser point out of OT/SO, they'd be up 2-4 points at season's end. That being said, if we took the winner point out, we'd miss the playoffs, because there would be a 5-way tie with Montreal (for 5th in the conference), and two other teams 4 points back.

The East is a total logjam right now and we are the beneficiary of extra time points this year, which gives us the edge in that logjam.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Good thing the season isnt even close to over yet.

At one point we were tied with them when they had 3 games on us.

Improvements! ;)

If you took the winner point out of OT/SO (e.g. games ended in ties), Montreal would be up 8 points on us at the end of the season (based on current point%). If you take the loser point out of OT/SO, they'd be up 2-4 points at season's end. That being said, if we took the winner point out, we'd miss the playoffs, because there would be a 5-way tie with Montreal (for 5th in the conference), and two other teams 4 points back.

The East is a total logjam right now and we are the beneficiary of extra time points this year, which gives us the edge in that logjam.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
lol @ Reimer fans saying Bernier sucked.

I think what's more funny is that some people seem to be growing a bigger allegiance to a goaltender than to the team. I just want the goalie in net who gives us a better chance to win.

TheThrill81*

I think what's more funny is that some people seem to be growing a bigger allegiance to a goaltender than to the team. I just want the goalie in net who gives us a better chance to win.

Thank you. At least someone gets it.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The extra point put us ahead of the Habs in the standings... yes we have games in hand but the Habs still have to win points to get a head of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad